Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA again rejects DC drivers license

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

TSA again rejects DC drivers license

I can't find a thread that includes discussion of TSA and DC drivers licenses so......

Picked this up on @AskTSA:

Once and for all @TSA @AskTSA @SacIntlAirport: DC licenses are valid federal ID. We have more residents than WY. #dcvote
and

eventually they did, but it took three agents. They initially asked if I had a passport instead.
How's that training academy working, Neffenger?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I can't find a thread that includes discussion of TSA and DC drivers licenses so......

Picked this up on @AskTSA:

and

How's that training academy working, Neffenger?
A training academy can't fix what is wrong with TSA.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:36 pm

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-and-you-rumor-control for flying. Just because this page exists, that doesn't mean the TSA will follow it.

I was worried that my DL (non-RealID compliant) which doesn't expire until 2019, couldn't be used. When I get my replacement passport next year, think I'll get a passport-card too just to avoid the hassles.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:55 pm

See https://papersplease.org/wp/2016/02/...e-real-id-act/ and more generally https://papersplease.org/wp/category/real-id/ for debunking of DHS claims about RealID.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Just read that as of October 10th, OK licenses will no longer be good for federal ID purposes. Guess they're trying to finally force this garbage down the throats of the holdouts.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Just read that as of October 10th, OK licenses will no longer be good for federal ID purposes. Guess they're trying to finally force this garbage down the throats of the holdouts.
DHS and its cheerleaders are dreaming, as it's not happening with regard to air travel by common carrier this October either.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I wonder whether these incidents are caused by the same ignorance and stupidity as the New Mexico rejections - TSOs see "Mexico" and "Columbia" and assume the licenses are from foreign countries, but they fail to see the "New" and "District of" portions that are literally RIGHT NEXT TO those words.

This issue arises from the basic stupidity and lack of reading comprehension of the average American. I love my country, but unfortunately it's full to the brim with stupid, Stupid, STUPID people, and many of them work for government at the federal, state, and local levels.

The only reason this doesn't happen with New York and New Jersey licenses is that most Americans are too stupid to realize that NEW York and NEW Jersey were named for the English city of York and the English Channel island of Jersey. I'm sure that most think NYC was named for a candy company (feel the sensation!) and NJ was named for either a sports uniform or a cow.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
The only reason this doesn't happen with New York and New Jersey licenses is that most Americans are too stupid to realize that NEW York [was] named for the English city of York
It wasn't, not directly. It was named after the Duke of York, Charles II's younger brother.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rpjs
It wasn't, not directly. It was named after the Duke of York, Charles II's younger brother.
In essence it was named after York because of who it's Duke was.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Same hogwash has happened with screeners who don't realize that New Mexico and Mexico are two different places and one is a US state and the other is a country.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chollie
Same hogwash has happened with screeners who don't realize that New Mexico and Mexico are two different places and one is a US state and the other is a country.
Like the time where I was told that a Global Entry card is not American ID since it says global and that just covers places outside of the US.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:08 am

Happened to me two years ago at SFO. Showed the young lady from TSA my DC driver's license and she informed me that Colombia was a country in South America and I needed a passport. I then showed her ID that identified me as an elected official. And then showed her that my home address was eight blocks from the White House. Still got nowhere.

Demanded to see a supervisor. Mentioned to her supervisor what a marvelous "kicker" this would be in a newscast. Problem solved immediately, with profound apologies.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:24 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Ithas not happened in a couple of years now, but for much of the mid and late 2000s I would have TSA agents flip through my U.S. Official (brown, though my latest has a maroon tint again LOL) Passport asking where my visa was or my entry and often what country are you from questions.

Now, this was troublesome for a few reasons including TSA does not enforce immigration and it is a valid AMERICAN passport. One ID clerk at MCO asked what country I was from and I answered Texas :-D , which through him for a loop and caused him to stare at the passport for some time.

My American Driver's Lic. is from Texas but I have an address from another state on it, which in addition to being perfectly normal and legal is easy to do with the change of address form online. Several ID clerks have had minor fits when they noticed.

It does seem to me, as someone who flies 2-3 times per week on average, that TSA has gotten slightly less feckless with the ID checking process than several years ago, but they have a long way to go.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:35 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Last I heard, all states have been granted REAL ID extensions until January 22, 2018.

Of course, this is something like the 8th extension, so there could be more.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I wonder whether these incidents are caused by the same ignorance and stupidity as the New Mexico rejections - TSOs see "Mexico" and "Columbia" and assume the licenses are from foreign countries, but they fail to see the "New" and "District of" portions that are literally RIGHT NEXT TO those words.

This issue arises from the basic stupidity and lack of reading comprehension of the average American. I love my country, but unfortunately it's full to the brim with stupid, Stupid, STUPID people, and many of them work for government at the federal, state, and local levels.

The only reason this doesn't happen with New York and New Jersey licenses is that most Americans are too stupid to realize that NEW York and NEW Jersey were named for the English city of York and the English Channel island of Jersey. I'm sure that most think NYC was named for a candy company (feel the sensation!) and NJ was named for either a sports uniform or a cow.
Isn't the cow named after the island?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.