Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

10 years since the liquid ban went into effect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10 years since the liquid ban went into effect

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:46 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

FlyerTalk Rule 5 - Stay On Topic

FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.
The topic of this thread is the liquids ban.

Taking nitro pills through TSA security screening is discussed in the following threads:
Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
More people should give that speech TSA employees and private screeners. TSA employees have zero business trying to determine what amount of medical liquids a person should be allowed.
Originally Posted by chollie
TSA also should not be in the business of deciding which non-liquid medicines are permitted and which are not. There is no acceptable reason, not even 'screener discretion', for confiscating a pax's nitro pills.
I'd simplify both of these.

TSA's one and only job is to screen for WEI — no more, no less — given current tech. If they are capable of determining that something is not WEI, then it should be allowed through. It's the airline's job, not TSA's, to enforce any of the (very few) applicable FAA regulations (e.g. re oxygen cylinders).

TSA should never refuse to screen something and never refuse to allow it through if it screening determines it to not be WEI. The end. Solves both problems easily.

There are some very rare instances where actual WEI — like compressed oxygen cylinders — is also medically necessary. For those, I'm okay with having some special provisions — namely, FAA's.

You want to carry a gallon of lube, a year's supply of nitro pills not prescribed to you, and 2 oz of gatorade in a 30 oz bottle? IDGAF, and the law doesn't allow TSA to either.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:17 am

Update in my TSA medical liquids (SFO etc) lawsuit:

Good news: judge granted my IFP ("I'm broke") motion and seal ("I don't want my finances on public record") — i.e. the issue I've been arguing in 1st & DC Cir, and previously to SCOTUS.

Bad news: judge denied me counsel & a hearing to discuss the case. So for now, I still have brief it. It's complex — multiple jurisdictions & events, circuit split issues, class action claims, etc. Plus lots of video & other evidence.

What it's about:

SFO incident / case page

I'm suing TSA to make them:
a) screen all liquids (etc) presented for screening without any questioning or disclosure about "medical necessity", judging how much is "needed", etc,
b) allow all liquids that pass screening to go through (your water is not a weapon),
c) pay for the damages caused by 10 years of this stupid liquids policy (which is in the billions of dollars, by a rough estimate), and
d) stop calling cops on people just for objecting to an illegal policy (and force cops to stop detaining people for that)

It's titled from the SFO incident, but I've documented >6 airports just for me personally (5 on video), which'll all be part of the same case.

How you can help:
a) transcribe my videos (or improve existing captions) using YT's caption-contribution service — make sure it identifies who said what, and includes objective descriptions of any visible activity;
b) donate (Patreon, Bitcoin, PayPal) — it takes a lot of time & work, for which I can't legally get compensated (Kay v Ehrler), and I'm broke (that's what IFP means); and
c) reshare this (G+, FB, Twitter).

If you know lawyers who'd be interested in representing me on this, please contact me privately. (Yes, I've already asked ACLU, DRA, & EPIC.)

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 13, 2016 at 4:54 pm Reason: FT Rule 11: All posts of a charitable nature are limited to the FlyerTalk Cares forum
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:14 pm

Read on twitter today that a gentleman got this "edibles" past TSA security but they confiscated his hand sanitizer. Probably time for travelers to advise TSA screeners that hand sanitizer is medially necessary even if it is OTC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.