Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck is dying a slow and painful death

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck is dying a slow and painful death

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Circle
It's simple: It's work slow down done on purpose to get more funding back. Which is just another reason why large sprawling government agencies like the TSA should never be created in the first place. It's not like they have a clue about how to ensure safety. Tarmac workers that have much easier access to aircraft don't go through the checkpoint anyway. It's a joke. On us.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
See, the thing is -- and this is an important point -- it's not a blanket failure. It's failing in some circumstances, but many of those who have signed up for it see it as an extraordinary success. I think the idea was sound, and the execution has been solid. At the airports I use, it works remarkably well.

Please don't make this about ideology. If you can't help yourself, argue on the merits rather than creating and fighting a straw man that suits your political view.
(bolding mine)

Key words: the airports you use.

It's obvious from the photos on @AskTSA, as well as the many posts there and here and elsewhere, that your experience is not universal - far from it.

It's pretty obvious from the multiple complaints on @AskTSA and the canned lies issued in response that Neffenger does not fully support Pre and many FSDs don't either.

What disgusts me even more than having a TSO's face and hands in my crotch every time I fly is the constant taxpayer-funded lies on the blog and now, on twitter. I realize no organization is 100% perfect, including my own, but I do not understand why anyone of integrity and honesty continues to work for and embrace an organization that lies all the time.

Last edited by chollie; Mar 5, 2016 at 11:33 am
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by stimpy
But it is backfiring on them as airports such as ATL are gearing up to fire the TSA and bring their own security in.
I seriously doubt ATL is actually going to do anything. It was all political grandstanding.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Security lines will only get worse, not better, and it's mostly your fault
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
That probably is partly responsible. But it is backfiring on them as airports such as ATL are gearing up to fire the TSA and bring their own security in.

But you know one town where PreCheck still works great? Washington of course! I often use PreCheck at IAD and DCA. I've never seen it closed there. Keeping their local customers happy.
I'd wager there also are no long lines and 2 hour waits at either airport.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:58 am

Naffenger, a Coast Guard veteran who has been head of the TSA for eight months, explains that staffing is currently at 41,000 screeners - which is significantly below the 42,500 Congressional cap.
Lies, lies, and more lies.

So the lines are attributed to TSO being down 1500 screeners?

1) start putting all the screeners at the checkpoint to work.

2) that works out to 30 screeners per state - not per airport, per state.

3) did those 1500 screeners just quit? Seriously? Because otherwise, being 'short' 1500 non-working screeners doesn't explain the very sudden and dramatic increase in wait times.

Neffenger's barely getting settled into the job and he's already decided that telling lies is the way to run the agency. Did he train under Blogdad Bob? Or was an ability to lie just a requirement for the job?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by BSBD
I seriously doubt ATL is actually going to do anything. It was all political grandstanding.
Maybe, but SFO got rid of the TSA. ATL could do it if the will is there.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by petaluma1
I'd wager there also are no long lines and 2 hour waits at either airport.
None that I've seen. Security is a breeze at the nations capital.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See, the thing is -- and this is an important point -- it's not a blanket failure. It's failing in some circumstances, but many of those who have signed up for it see it as an extraordinary success. I think the idea was sound, and the execution has been solid. At the airports I use, it works remarkably well.

Please don't make this about ideology. If you can't help yourself, argue on the merits rather than creating and fighting a straw man that suits your political view.
Murphy's little know second law, "if something can be screwed up government will find the way" is not an ideology point of view, just a statement of fact.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Lies, lies, and more lies.

So the lines are attributed to TSO being down 1500 screeners?

1) start putting all the screeners at the checkpoint to work.

2) that works out to 30 screeners per state - not per airport, per state.

3) did those 1500 screeners just quit? Seriously? Because otherwise, being 'short' 1500 non-working screeners doesn't explain the very sudden and dramatic increase in wait times.

Neffenger's barely getting settled into the job and he's already decided that telling lies is the way to run the agency. Did he train under Blogdad Bob? Or was an ability to lie just a requirement for the job?
TSA has a ready supply of trained screeners engaged in proven useless activities, BDO's.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Being someone who flies frequently out of EWR Terminal C to Europe, I’ve had the distinct “pleasure” of experiencing the stark contrast in TSA wait times beginning in January. With TSA-Pre and Premier Access, I’ve still experienced 45-minute wait times in the last few weeks as both of these lines are overly long and slow-moving. Most of the TSA agents are rude and arrogant and prone to shouting out orders. Given the fact that there are no lanes in evidence around the entrance to TSA at C3, it’s no surprise that confusion reigns in the huge crowd milling about. On 2/29 around 3:30pm, coming down from Premier Check-in, I experienced extremely unpleasant yelling from two agents attempting to move TSA-Pre people into long queues on the next floor down. In addition to the lines and bad vibes, I noticed a number of TSA agents just standing around. One of them did not exude hostility and since I was in line standing near him for more than a few minutes, I decided to strike up a conversation about the situation. He turned out to be quite affable and when asked why the security had become such a nightmare seemingly overnight, he stated that it was a question of understaffing and gave the Nuremburg defense: “just following orders”.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Plenty of corporate and government programs flop. The government's PreCheck racket is showing signs of stress and failure by the measures of importance to me as a frequent traveler; and the most important measure for my planning purposes, that being variance in wait and process times for being cleared and getting airside, has gotten to be rather awful
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the link in post 34 we finally get to the truth.

The lines have also been slower because TSA officials don't want their screeners rushed. Last summer the administration failed to identify weapons and other mistakes during a covert investigation by the Department of Homeland Security, and they are facing other pressures in the wake of recent terrorist attacks in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
http://news.yahoo.com/long-waits-sec...012458363.html

TSA screening operations around the country are showing signs of typical TSA incompetence. ATL has threatened to go with private screeners and now MSP is complaining to TSA about unacceptable TSA customer service. A decrease of 15% of screeners is blamed partially and of course there is the obligatory suggestion to sign up for Pre Check as if that will somehow resolve TSA's complete inability to manage predictable workloads.

TSA is not the solution to airport security screenings.
Two days ago I received an unacceptable level of TSA customer service at MSP in the PreCheck lane (South) during a time when the airport was NOT busy: 40 minutes to clear, with about half of that time spent within reach of the tables leading to the rollers and moving belt through the X-ray machine or by the cage around the moving belt immediately after X-ray machine waiting for my items to clear.

It's nonsense for TSA to suggest to people that the solution is getting PreCheck. The solution is to get rid of TSA.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA has a ready supply of trained screeners engaged in proven useless activities, BDO's.
I wonder if the BDOs get tested in any way, or if they work to a quota.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.