FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   TSA PreCheck is dying a slow and painful death (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1750823-tsa-precheck-dying-slow-painful-death.html)

Vegasrider Nov 25, 2015 11:08 pm

TSA Precheck Closed during off peak hours

Encountered a 1st, flying out of RNO this afternoon and the Precheck line was closed. There was a sign indicating that it was only available during peak hours. It was around 1600 hour, seems like that's a peak time for arrival and departures to me, especially during one of the busiest travel days of the year! Kind of rediculous for the line not to be available, you pay for a service and it's not available? So I end up waiting about 20 minutes just to reach the podium where they verify your ID. Another 20 minutes to get through the X-rays.

Yes, I had to take my lap top out of my carry on, remove my jacket, etc. But at least I didn't have to take my shoes off.

carolinaflyr Nov 29, 2015 2:53 pm

This is happening in more and more airports (MSY, RSD, LIH, PHX in the last month) and has to be a new "program" from someone in TSA management. Only in government-land can you sell a service and then make a choice to not deliver it - in private business that's called "fraud." All of us who use precheck need to write our congress persons about this, and maybe there will be some heat generated. And maybe not. But what else can be done?

Michael El Nov 29, 2015 3:01 pm

Quite common at most of the "smaller" airports.

GUWonder Nov 29, 2015 5:00 pm

Even at ORD I've seen some PreCheck lines closed at around 7:30 or 8pm this year, even when the nearby regular screening lines are very, very busy.

Regardless of paying your money, giving in your time and volunteering to let the government to score you more comprehensively, the government never guaranteed that these "trusted traveler" membership program benefits would be applicable just because an individual paid up to get enrolled and got enrolled.

Welcome to the reality of dealing with government.

This is all the more reason why PreCheck LLL type screening should be made the default screening for passengers in the main and why airlines should once again be in charge of the screening line arrangements.

cottonmather0 Dec 12, 2015 10:36 pm

This is the case at IAH in the United terminals in C and E. The airport website says that both are open all day from 5 am to 9 pm, but in reality it's more like 5 to 8 in the morning and 5 to 8 in the evening.

They say it's about "not having to pay screeners to stand around when no one is there" but that's mostly nonsense. Like you said, the regular security line is long but the precheck line is closed, so the explanation makes no sense.

It's very frustrating because sometimes I want to take a flight later at night and if I there is no Precheck.

Frankly, even if I do get do keep my shoes on, having to pull out my laptop and my toiletries is still a pain in the rear, especially since it affects the way I pack.

FliesWay2Much Dec 13, 2015 5:29 am

TSA Precheck Closed during off peak hours

There's a reason we call it ExtortionCheck.

Antonio8069 Dec 13, 2015 6:31 am

great resource!

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much (Post 25856331)
There's a reason we call it ExtortionCheck.

This WEB site is a very useful resource. ^Thanks for sharing!

Boggie Dog Dec 13, 2015 4:26 pm

TSA Pre Check is extremely wasteful of manpower due to the low number of people in the Pre Check pool. Without making adjustments to include more travelers Pre Check will just be another TSA failure.

Failure, the only thing TSA can do well.

GUWonder Dec 14, 2015 7:01 am

When the non-PreCheck line takes 20-30 minutes to clear is that off-hours for TSA PreCheck? Too often it seems to be, at least if you do your trip in the morning or evening hours.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's easier and cheaper to staff PreCheck during retail banker's hours than during the early morning and evening hours, and so the TSA management staffs it sort of with that in mind.

Westcoaster Dec 14, 2015 12:35 pm

Precheck at FLL leading to the C gates was closed last Friday at 4:00 pm. When we got the 3 beeps they put a blue sticker on our BPs that allowed us to leave our shoes on and go through the metal detector. Still had to take out the laptop. The worst part was the wait in the regular line.

I was surprised it was closed at that time. Seems like Friday afternoons would be relatively busy.

CDKing Dec 19, 2015 2:31 pm

I prefer expedited over dedicated precheck lanes now. I find it faster than places where there is precheck.

nrr Dec 20, 2015 9:28 am

After 8 pm LAS has (relatively) few D gate departures. There were a few times when P-C was closed; but those eligible did NOT have to take off shoes when clearing the regular line. [In some instances (after 8 pm) when there are more TSA agents than pax:)]
Now they keep P-C open until 10 pm.

Superguy Dec 24, 2015 11:17 am

I've seen Precheck closed until 5am at several airports. Of course, that's crappy if you're on the flights out before 6am.

txrus Dec 30, 2015 6:22 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much (Post 25856331)
TSAStatus.net -- please keep it current!

Not to stray too much off topic, but none of the status updates I've submitted, for several months now, seem to have stuck.

FliesWay2Much Dec 31, 2015 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by txrus (Post 25934862)
Not to stray too much off topic, but none of the status updates I've submitted, for several months now, seem to have stuck.

I think the only ones of us who try to update it anymore are the flyers who don't do ExtortionCheck. I've had a couple of updates my self that didn't get added.