Community
Wiki Posts
Search

72 DHS Employees on Terrorist Watch List

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:25 pm

So they work for the DHS and are blacklisted?

Okay.....I would usually support the no-fly list if there was actual evidence that these people have terrorist connections and can appeal their status with an open court of law, but alas, the "no-fly" list is a form of "ask questions later, act now" based on paranoia with very little or no evidence of wrong doing in the suspected person.

Surely there are people on that list who deserve to be on it, but others based on news articles about their plight and even being stranded outside their countries without any evidence of wrongdoing....is quite frightening.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Section 107
Ginger is completely on point on this in all respects - this is the product of a lazy reporter and editor(s) regurgitating the inaccurate and facetious comments by a duplicitous congresscritter regarding 15-98.

There are real issues of what/how much information should be provided to TSA for use in the review/adjudication of credentialing suitability decisions.
These issues continue to be most appropriately addressed by the IPC which is quite aware of the vulnerabilities its policies on information sharing incurs.

There are valid, competing viewpoints on all sides and the IG said "damn the torpedoes" on this one - maybe not incorrectly.
Scary that one of our electeds is so poorly informed. How many others are just like this one?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FateSucks

Okay.....I would usually support the no-fly list if there was actual evidence that these people have terrorist connections and can appeal their status with an open court of law, but alas, the "no-fly" list is a form of "ask questions later, act now" based on paranoia with very little or no evidence of wrong doing in the suspected person.

Surely there are people on that list who deserve to be on it, but others based on news articles about their plight and even being stranded outside their countries without any evidence of wrongdoing....is quite frightening.
There are DHS employees with relatives who have been affiliated with terrorist organizations or terrorist acts. And being blacklisted in some ways -- not always or even commonly known to the blacklisted -- because of blacklisted or criminal relatives is something that the US does do to some extent.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Quote:

Originally Posted by FateSucks

There are DHS employees with relatives who have been affiliated with terrorist organizations or terrorist acts. And being blacklisted in some ways -- not always or even commonly known to the blacklisted -- because of blacklisted or criminal relatives is something that the US does do to some extent.
Foreign-born and living abroad close family members (including a spouse) can be a reason to deny a security clearance. The big difference is that an individual knows they have been denied and have appeal rights. Of course, none of this due process stuff exists with the no-fly list.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Foreign-born and living abroad close family members (including a spouse) can be a reason to deny a security clearance. The big difference is that an individual knows they have been denied and have appeal rights. Of course, none of this due process stuff exists with the no-fly list.
The lack of notice is indeed rather telling about the fundamental lack of due process taking place with the application of a travel restriction regime used to target otherwise free people.

And at least with jobs requiring security clearance, we are volunteering to seek a role requiring it. In the case of the aviation blacklists, people are added to blacklists without voluntary consent and subject to surveillance without consent.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
The lack of notice is indeed rather telling about the fundamental lack of due process taking place with the application of a travel restriction regime used to target otherwise free people.
As implied/inferred in other threads on IRS and firearms, this is why the TIDE lists must not be used to deny other activities.

In the case of the aviation blacklists, people are added to blacklists without voluntary consent and subject to surveillance without consent.
I think you are getting a little too excited - cause, um, in all my years I can't recall even one instance where anyone has ever even broached the idea of requesting permission/consent to surveil from the target.
In most cases we keep it secret even after charges are brought.....
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:20 pm
Suspended

I think you are getting a little too excited - cause, um, in all my years I can't recall even one instance where anyone has ever even broached the idea of requesting permission/consent to surveil from the target.
Not at all. I was saying that what can be done to those who consent to some participation in certain activies is not all the same as what can be done to those who don't consent to some participation in certain activities. And recreating investigative trails has been done in both kinds of situations, with the latter more exciting relative to the former.

If I were talking about the following, then that would be a different story:

operations where a utilized asset is eliciting consent from a target to make monitoring easier; and

operations where allied foreign intelligence have been involved in doing things in the allied host countries which wouldn't be legally permissible (at least not without generating risk of compromising some objectives) if done by the host country's own personnel/assets.

Both of these have also been done.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:29 am

Not at all. I was saying that what can be done to those who consent to some participation in certain activies is not all the same as what can be done to those who don't consent to some participation in certain activities. And recreating investigative trails has been done in both kinds of situations, with the latter more exciting relative to the former.

If I were talking about the following, then that would be a different story:

operations where a utilized asset is eliciting consent from a target to make monitoring easier;
Perhaps you can share an example in which a target of criminal or security surveillance has been asked for consent to such surveillance?

Because I have never heard in schooling, training or operationally (or even in fiction), of any target of such surveillance being asked to knowingly consent to that surveillance. We have certainly told a target we were on to him and that he was now under surveillance but that is quite different than what you suggested.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:45 am
Suspended

Perhaps you can share an example in which a target of criminal or security surveillance has been asked for consent to such surveillance?

Because I have never heard in schooling, training or operationally (or even in fiction), of any target of such surveillance being asked to knowingly consent to that surveillance. We have certainly told a target we were on to him and that he was now under surveillance but that is quite different than what you suggested.

Do you really think I'm going to bite on questions like this?

Tricking investigation targets to enable easier monitoring of themselves (or their associates) by their turned/captive associates is news to you? Well, now there is an idea that may be news but isn't new.

"change vendor/instrument/device/access authorization" suggestions.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:50 am

Do you really think I'm going to bite on questions like this?

Tricking investigation targets to enable easier monitoring of themselves (or their associates) by their turned/captive associates is news to you? Well, now there is an idea that may be news but isn't new.

"change vendor/instrument/device/access authorization" suggestions.

No, tricking someone into accepting a piece of technology (or engaging in some behavior) that enables surveillance or worse is a time honored tactic that goes back at least as far as that peccadillo between Agamemnon and Paris.

But that is still not what you talked about: getting consent from the target of the surveillance for the surveillance itself.

Eh, enough.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:00 am
Suspended

No, tricking someone into accepting a piece of technology (or engaging in some behavior) that enables surveillance or worse is a time honored tactic that goes back at least as far as that peccadillo between Agamemnon and Paris.

But that is still not what you talked about: getting consent from the target of the surveillance for the surveillance itself.

Eh, enough.
Access authorization taken as consent.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:56 pm

Access authorization taken as consent.
Such a thing requires a willing and knowing participant (even if the willingness is, um, greatly influenced by impending legal action and a truly fully-knowing understanding of what s/he is consenting to is suspect at best) at which point the participant is no longer the actual target, even if he will be later subject to adverse/legal action.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Such a thing requires a willing and knowing participant (even if the willingness is, um, greatly influenced by impending legal action and a truly fully-knowing understanding of what s/he is consenting to is suspect at best) at which point the participant is no longer the actual target, even if he will be later subject to adverse/legal action.
It has been a distinction without a difference depending on the details of who is involved, how and where. One day a lot more about this will come out into the public domain. A lot more. And then some may say, "I didn't know".
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.

"This phone call may be recorded for customer assurance purposes."

"These premises under video surveillance."

"By signing this application, you agree to allow [potential employer] to conduct a background check..."

"By signing this application, you agree to allow [bank] to conduct a credit history search..."

"By accepting this position, you agree to allow [employer] to monitor your whereabouts and activities through video surveillance and computer monitoring..."

"Step out of the car, please, sir. Do you mind if I have a look in your trunk?"

"May we come in and speak to you, sir? We have some questions regarding [crime]..."

Plenty.

Of course, you may be thinking only of Jack Bauer surveilling Conrad Seigfried or Doctor Klaw by sitting across the street in a black SUV, taking pictures with a 15-pound, $20,000 professional DSLR camera, but that's not the only kind of surveillance there is.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by WillCAD
"By accepting this position, you agree to allow [employer] to monitor your whereabouts and activities through video surveillance and computer monitoring..."

What job would this be for?

"Step out of the car, please, sir. Do you mind if I have a look in your trunk?"

Never consent to any search. Nothing good can come from it. At best, it is a neutral thing.

"May we come in and speak to you, sir? We have some questions regarding [crime]..."

Again, the answer is NO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.