Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying while Transgender

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This problem will continue until the day that TSA actually starts searching for WEI and nothing else.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From LAist:
Essay: LAX Security Wasn't Ready For My Transgender Body

I identified myself as transgender, thinking it would help them recall that training I hoped they had gotten. The word transgender just seemed clearer. Besides, I didn't fancy trying to explain my nonbinary gender identity to a bunch of government officials at 7 a.m. I just wanted to be as accommodating as possible. Unfortunately, my willingness to openly discuss my genitals didn't assuage their suspicions. So my penis underwent its first pat-down of the day, but was still regarded as an anomaly and a threat. So I was handed off to another agent, for a full body pat-down, which was... very thorough.

This new agent was sympathetic. They expressed themselves as an ally of the LGBT community, and gave me agency in how my body was handled during the pat-down. I felt respected. They did a full body pat-down, and then cleared and released me.

Then, their supervisor intervened. The supervisor informed me that policy dictated that I be taken into a private room, and that they would use the front of their hands on my penis to confirm that it was actually a penis.

Old Mar 27, 2021, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Transwoman Flagged By TSA

It's been a while for an incident of this kind to make the news cycle. With gender selectors, man or woman, on the Whole Body Scanners I see no solution other than continued gropes of breasts and crotches. I'd be interested in hearing TSA's proposed solution. Also, exactly how can an anomaly of this type be resolved without a grope even though TSA claims to not grope genitals, just "resistance"?

A trans woman said she was stopped by airport security after scanners flagged her body parts as 'an anomaly
"Going through the scanner, there's a male scanner and a female scanner in the TSA checkpoint - and, looking at me, you know, I look like a woman and I am a woman," Montoya said in the TikTok.

"But, going through the scanner, I always have an 'anomaly' between my legs that sets off the alarm."
Old Mar 27, 2021, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
It's been a while for an incident of this kind to make the news cycle. With gender selectors, man or woman, on the Whole Body Scanners I see no solution other than continued gropes of breasts and crotches. I'd be interested in hearing TSA's proposed solution. Also, exactly how can an anomaly of this type be resolved without a grope even though TSA claims to not grope genitals, just "resistance"?

A trans woman said she was stopped by airport security after scanners flagged her body parts as 'an anomaly
They should get rid of the gender selection. Instead, program the machine to try both genders and accept if either matches. Check top and bottom separately in case the passenger had top surgery but not bottom surgery.
GUWonder and chollie like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Mother sues TSA over request to strip search her transgender teen

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/26/us/tr...tsa/index.html

Nice the see the LEO's reaction.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
They didn't get to fly which is wrong. I really question the accuracy of TSA's Whole Body Image devices. I flew 4 legs in July, screened by WTMD once and the remainder by WBI. I was wearing a tennis shirt and lightweight slacks over boxer briefs. Each time the WBI alarmed on my arms and legs. In my opinion that suggests something is off with these devices and it wasn't gender selection issues in my case. I hope the people win their case.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
They didn't get to fly which is wrong. I really question the accuracy of TSA's Whole Body Image devices. I flew 4 legs in July, screened by WTMD once and the remainder by WBI. I was wearing a tennis shirt and lightweight slacks over boxer briefs. Each time the WBI alarmed on my arms and legs. In my opinion that suggests something is off with these devices and it wasn't gender selection issues in my case. I hope the people win their case.
It's simply an issue that the TSA nude-o-scopes and a lot of clerks can't deal with 21st Century America. They will get sued a few times and will issue all sorts of embarrassing statements. None of this will affect anyone of any gender who has bought into ExtortionCheck because they don't get groped or strip-searched. The TSA will spend tens of millions of dollars of our tax dollars studying the problem and will either spend tens of millions more developing transgender algorithms or, perhaps, a completely new screening device that will cost hundreds of millions. 20 years later, the TSA is still pathetic.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, the detectors have a very narrow view of "normal". I'm one of those strange individuals that actually uses the pocket in my shirt. Of course the pocket is empty when I go through the scanner but since my phone is there most of the time it's got a bit of sag in the material that the scanner frequently flags. Being male it's no big deal but it shows how narrow the view is. I've even had TSA officials say that it's triggering because the phone stretched the fabric a bit.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yup, the detectors have a very narrow view of "normal". I'm one of those strange individuals that actually uses the pocket in my shirt. Of course the pocket is empty when I go through the scanner but since my phone is there most of the time it's got a bit of sag in the material that the scanner frequently flags. Being male it's no big deal but it shows how narrow the view is. I've even had TSA officials say that it's triggering because the phone stretched the fabric a bit.
Is much the same kind of thing happening to some CIS women whose front pant pocket is stretched out by sticking a phone in it a lot? Sticking the phone in back pockets seems rather common, but some stick them into front pockets to try to limit the chance of sitting on the phone or of the phone being stolen by a pickpocket.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is much the same kind of thing happening to some CIS women whose front pant pocket is stretched out by sticking a phone in it a lot? Sticking the phone in back pockets seems rather common, but some stick them into front pockets to try to limit the chance of sitting on the phone or of the phone being stolen by a pickpocket.
No idea but I certainly could picture that happening. I've never understood putting a phone in a back pocket, that seems to me to be asking for trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.