Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Light hearted TSA agents

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Joking about not letting some item or person through security is no joke, nor is it the behavior of a professional.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Another quote for you. My original post in this thread:

"I think this is a great post to show that they are people too. They're just like you and me. They have feelings and families and they are just there to make air travel safer."

But of course you know that. You jumped right on it to bash the TSA.
Bash the TSA? Here's the post where I jumped right on it ("it" being your whole post and not just your snippet from within your post):

Originally Posted by GUWonder
TSA employees are just there to make air travel safer? That's funny, in more than one way. I would have thought that many are there because they fancy being on the federal dole/payroll. If not, some seem to like the pseudo-cop uniforms and pseudo-cop tin badges and play "respect my authorita!". Ain't that funny.

People are people, but that doesn't put them off limits for being subject to due criticism or praise -- not that there is much to praise about the TSA other that it is to be praised for becoming as large and expensive as it has become without any evidence of having made air travel safer in any statistically significant way.
You can take that however you wish; but if you think that is bashing the TSA, then it seems to me like people imagine bashing where there isn't. Just saying.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
The problem with praising "light-hearted TSA interactions" is that there's an unequal power distribution at a checkpoint --- all in the passengers disfavor.

A TSA screener makes a joke about "I can't let this through", and (s)he is "just" making a joke. A passenger makes a joke about "There's a bomb in that bag", and the passenger is probably going to have a very bad day at the hands of the TSA (and possibly local law enforcement).

The few TSOs who frequent this forum --- or jump into the waters from time to time --- often claim that it's easy to get through a checkpoint if you just follow the TSO's directions. Fine --- but then they shouldn't confuse matters by joking about those directions, or deadpanning jokes that give the impression that the passenger is about to lose their favorite T-shirt or laptop computer or whatever.

It is grossly unfair to tease a passenger when they can't respond in kind, out of fear of serious retaliation.

Grumpy? Sure. But that's the environment that TSA has chosen to create at the checkpoint. Keep your head down, say as little as possible, move along like good little sheep. That's what I do. I don't like it, but it's better than the alternative.
In the more abusive prisons/prison camps, aren't jokes often more or less a one-way street, where the more powerful are more free to tell jokes while the less powerful are more subject to the whims of the powerful about whether a joke in the other direction is accepted with or without threat/punishment? I'd bet on it.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Bash the TSA? Here's the post where I jumped right on it ("it" being your whole post and not just your snippet from within your post):

You can take that however you wish; but if you think that is bashing the TSA, then it seems to me like people imagine bashing where there isn't. Just saying.
Would saying "pseudo-cop uniforms and pseudo-cop tin badges" show support or contempt for the TSA?

Just saying.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Would saying "pseudo-cop uniforms and pseudo-cop tin badges" show support or contempt for the TSA?

Just saying.
It would characterize the uniform and badges as they are: pseudo-cop uniforms and pseudo-cop tin badges.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
and they are just there to make air travel safer.
LOL, really? If that was the case, they wouldn't have waited so long to implement 100% cargo screening, and wouldn't still be focusing on the wrong threats.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Flying out of CWA (Central Wisconsin Airport) a few years ago with a couple of clients. One of the clients was proudly wearing a Denver Broncos jacket, and as we approached TSA the employee started putting on very long latex gloves and suggested a full cavity search for the Broncos fan. It was obviously just a joke and we all got a good laugh out of it.

Note to self, don't wear anything but Packers clothing when in Wisconsin.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
We fly enough out of SAT, which is a relatively small airport, that we recognize a number of the TSA folks and vice versa. They often ask "On the road again? Where to this time?" in a lighthearted rather than official way. They also know we are, or were since I'm now retired, Federal employees and say things to each other and us about us being "one of them". Not that I intend to have any of them over for a pool party but it makes the security hassle a little less onerous if we all can at least smile a bit and be civil.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I went through CAE on the early DL flight about a month ago. TSA couldn't have been friendlier or nicer....jovial mood, asked me about being in the Air Force (used my ID as ID, LOL), how were things with all the cutbacks...

I flew through ORD about six months ago coming back from the UK and TSA there was equally friendly. There was one moat dragon but I ignored him (as did just about everyone else). I asked to speak to the supervisor and complimented her on the behavior and efficiency of the other 99% of her folks, but did point out that the yelling of the rules only annoys people, can come across as demeaning - and might actually scare those unfamiliar with the process. A little while later while on the secure side, I walked back by TSA en route to Starbucks (I know, I know) and the moat dragon was nowhere to be found. Good for her.

Some of these folks are doing their job without being on power trips. Some folks just want to earn a living with somewhat secure employment and decent health insurance. I can't fault anyone for that.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Joking about not letting some item or person through security is no joke, nor is it the behavior of a professional.
I agree - and also add if pax did it there'd be hell to pay.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Flying out of CWA (Central Wisconsin Airport) a few years ago with a couple of clients. One of the clients was proudly wearing a Denver Broncos jacket, and as we approached TSA the employee started putting on very long latex gloves and suggested a full cavity search for the Broncos fan. It was obviously just a joke and we all got a good laugh out of it.

Note to self, don't wear anything but Packers clothing when in Wisconsin.
I use CWA a bit too, more so around hunting season. Let's just say Vikings or Bear gear can get comments too.

The TSA personnel at CWA seem to be a pretty friendly lot. It's one of my more frequented TSA stations where I've never observed a bad attitude. I think that has more to do with the region and with the small, more rural airports having TSA screeners who know they are often no more than one or two degrees removed from social connections with the passengers outside of the airport too. But that social proximity isn't a requirement for TSA employees to not have a bad attitude toward passengers. I've seen lots of rather friendly TSA screeners at various Midwest and Pacifc Northwest airports, large and small. But between the bad attitude screeners and bad TSA policies, passengers will give the TSA all the criticism which the TSA deserves.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA and its employees don't get near the amount of criticism that they truly deserve.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club

Last edited by DaveBlaine; Sep 17, 2015 at 2:34 pm Reason: please delete
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would characterize the uniform and badges as they are: pseudo-cop uniforms and pseudo-cop tin badges.
Evidently TSA agents are more likely to have a sense of humor than FF posters ...
Old Sep 17, 2015, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Evidently TSA agents are more likely to have a sense of humor than FF posters ...
Probably has something to do with which side of the bars one is on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.