Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBP officer did not stamp my passport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
No, they don't really care. They do have a record in their computer though.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
I am a US citizen and getting stamps is very hit or miss.
I was actually under the impression it was illegal for US officials to stamp a US passport.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I was actually under the impression it was illegal for US officials to stamp a US passport.
Where did you hear that?!
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AA,DL,WN
My US passport has never been stamped entering the U.S. Illegal or not, it's just a waste of time and ink.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
last year, we flew to Rome, then took the train to Zurich, then flew home from ZRH. When we exited the train in Zurich, they checked our passports but didn't stamp them. When we went to ZRH for the flight home, the immigration officer noted that there was no Swiss entry stamp. I explained that we arrived by train, but the officer failed to stamp it. He acted like it was a huge problem. I told him that if it was a problem, he should bring it up at their next staff meeting, but I did nothing wrong. He let us proceed to the gate.
I'd add that the only place I have had trouble with passports stamps has been with Swiss immigration. If you enter by train, often you don't clear customs at all. When leaving, the agent tries to find the entry stamp. It just holds up the line and nothing more. I just tell him/her that I entered via train via Geneva and off I go ...
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Originally Posted by blackdawn2
My US passport has never been stamped entering the U.S. Illegal or not, it's just a waste of time and ink.
I've had it stamped every single time but once. It's still nice to have, in the sense that "My trip got me THREE stamps, not TWO!"
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by zkzkz
It is not illegal. It is ordinary and most frequently done legally by the US.

It is useful for some US citizens to have the US stamps, as in some cases it is used to create a travel history (or evidence of such) or used as evidence of the government's record being misleading.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL and UA Kettle +
I've only ever had my US Passport stamped coming back into the US once at MSP. I thought it was really odd when they did it. Maybe it depends on the entry point but my experience is limited to SFO and MSP only.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I just did the math. In recent years I have made 58 entries to the USA from Europe. 8 from South America and 8 from Canada. I have come in under the visa waiver, with a visa and with a Green card. I have had my passport stamped on every occasion except 1.
You must be some kind of shady character, I wager.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I'd add that the only place I have had trouble with passports stamps has been with Swiss immigration. If you enter by train, often you don't clear customs at all. When leaving, the agent tries to find the entry stamp. It just holds up the line and nothing more. I just tell him/her that I entered via train via Geneva and off I go ...
You should never clear immigration arriving by train any more since Switzerland joined Schengen. This was a fairly recent change though.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
last year, we flew to Rome, then took the train to Zurich, then flew home from ZRH. When we exited the train in Zurich, they checked our passports but didn't stamp them. When we went to ZRH for the flight home, the immigration officer noted that there was no Swiss entry stamp. I explained that we arrived by train, but the officer failed to stamp it. He acted like it was a huge problem. I told him that if it was a problem, he should bring it up at their next staff meeting, but I did nothing wrong. He let us proceed to the gate.
You entered the Schengen zone in Rome so your passport should have been stamped there. There are no immigration controls between Italy and Switzerland therefore there is no possibility of getting a Swiss entry stamp.

I've no personal experience of Swiss border guards checking passengers arriving by train in Zürich, though this may well have been a customs check as Switzerland is not part of the EU and although there are no immigration checks between the two countries, there are still occasional customs checks.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:52 am

In my experience with entering Switzerland via rail, once the guards see that you have a US passport, they move on to the next compartment. They don't even open it.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
The Immigration Officer was completely wrong. Both Italy and Switzerland are Schengen nations and entry into one is considered entry into all.

I travel (by car) from Italy to Switzerland and back several times a year and it has been almost 20 years since anyone has ever asked to see my passport. The sole exceptions to this were when I bought things in in Switzerland for which I wanted the Duty Free credit. I had to enter the tax offices on the Swiss side of the border to get it and the officers on the Italian side would see this and want to know what I was importing into Italy.

I would then show them my American or Israeli passport, tell them I was taking the things out of the Italy and back home, and that was the end of it -- and even then they did not stamp my passport.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 5:41 pm

No entry stamp in Miami

Hello all.
I came into Miami from Spain last Thursday (holidays). In the first CBP booth, my wife and my son got their passports stamped. I had my fingerprints taken, a picture taken, (as everyone), but the officer told me that due to my name (very common in Spain), I had to go to secondary inspection...he said #I am sorry but you have to#

It was quite quick and they cleared me, but without stamp (I noticed this later...).

Once I recovered my luggage from the belt and finally went to the exit officer, he sent me to another room, where I had to open my luggage. Nothing strange inside, nothing taken away. Again, the officer handed me my passport after doing several checks and said everything was OK...so I was admitted into the USA.

But once in the parking area, I saw that I had no stamp anywhere in my passport....

Is this common practice when you go through secondary inspection? Can I have problems to leave next week? Can I have problems to come back to the US in the future? I am sure my entry is recorded in their systems (fingerprints, photo, electronic passport, ESTA), but this stamp issue keeps me worried.

Thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by The travelman
Hello all.
I came into Miami from Spain last Thursday (holidays). In the first CBP booth, my wife and my son got their passports stamped. I had my fingerprints taken, a picture taken, (as everyone), but the officer told me that due to my name (very common in Spain), I had to go to secondary inspection...he said #I am sorry but you have to#

It was quite quick and they cleared me, but without stamp (I noticed this later...).

Once I recovered my luggage from the belt and finally went to the exit officer, he sent me to another room, where I had to open my luggage. Nothing strange inside, nothing taken away. Again, the officer handed me my passport after doing several checks and said everything was OK...so I was admitted into the USA.

But once in the parking area, I saw that I had no stamp anywhere in my passport....

Is this common practice when you go through secondary inspection? Can I have problems to leave next week? Can I have problems to come back to the US in the future? I am sure my entry is recorded in their systems (fingerprints, photo, electronic passport, ESTA), but this stamp issue keeps me worried.

Thanks!
TheUnited States has no outward immigration control, so leaving will not be a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.