CBP officer did not stamp my passport

Old Sep 7, 13, 7:49 am
Original Poster

CBP officer did not stamp my passport

I flew from spain to NYC a year ago for a week, to visit the city. At the airport, when i arrived in NYC, they didn't stamp my passport. I spent my week there and i came back to spain without problems.
Here is my question, I will visit NYC next december, and I would like to know if i could have any problem when i arrive at the JFK airport and they notice that my passport was not stamped in my last visit to the USA.

Thank you for your help!
Old Sep 7, 13, 8:26 am

Dont worry. You wont have any problems at all. Your entry is recorded electronically and passport stamps in developed countries are pretty much obsolete as every officer at any port of entry will have access to the electronic system. They'll know about your entry a year ago and they probably won't bring it up at all unless you give them a reason to.

Many of my non-American friends don't get their passports stamped about 30% of the time and it's never been a problem
Old Sep 7, 13, 9:19 am

My passport was not stamped in JFK! Help!

I agree that it shouldn't be a problem. It is the same for US citizens visiting other countries and having their passport read electronically but the immigration officer does not give them a stamp. I have not seen an issue.

If questioned, you would just tell the official asking the truth as I imagine even before electronic passport readers, a stamp was forgotten or couldn't be read due to being too light or having smeared ink.
Old Sep 7, 13, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your help!!
Old Sep 7, 13, 11:04 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
My passport was not stamped in JFK! Help!

I concur on the above comments. If U really want a stamp in your passport , they will be happy to do so. I get my passport stamp ad a hobby.
Old Sep 7, 13, 11:11 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.4699 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

That's quite strange, to me. I live/work in the US with a visa, and every time I enter I get stamped - on average 2-4 times a month. The visa stamps indicate the maximum time you're permitted to remain in the US which is quite an important detail. It would only be immigration officer error for it to not be stamped, IMO.

I doubt you'll have problems, but it does seem odd for it to not have been stamped in the past. Our immigration attorneys are quite particular about making sure our stamps are up to date and correct, and do remind us regularly to ensure they're stamped correctly at entry.

While the entries are recorded electronically (especially now with the electronic I94 and ESTA), the visa stamp is important for you to prove your eligibility to be in the US and your current visa status while there.
Old Sep 9, 13, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ajnz View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.4699 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

That's quite strange, to me. I live/work in the US with a visa, and every time I enter I get stamped - on average 2-4 times a month. The visa stamps indicate the maximum time you're permitted to remain in the US which is quite an important detail. It would only be immigration officer error for it to not be stamped, IMO.

I doubt you'll have problems, but it does seem odd for it to not have been stamped in the past. Our immigration attorneys are quite particular about making sure our stamps are up to date and correct, and do remind us regularly to ensure they're stamped correctly at entry.

While the entries are recorded electronically (especially now with the electronic I94 and ESTA), the visa stamp is important for you to prove your eligibility to be in the US and your current visa status while there.
You seem to have a work visa and residence, which is very different from the OP's case. Presumably the OP entered as a tourist and was stamped out without any issues. Unless there's a much earlier entry without a corresponding exit, even examination of the passport shouldn't cause trouble in that there is no indication of an overstay. Unfortunately OP can't check the electronic record, but it would be very unusual to have exited the USA by plane without the exit being properly recorded with passport number, name, etc.
Old Sep 9, 13, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
I just did the math. In recent years I have made 58 entries to the USA from Europe. 8 from South America and 8 from Canada. I have come in under the visa waiver, with a visa and with a Green card. I have had my passport stamped on every occasion except 1.

I agree with the other posters. You should not have an issue. In the unlikely event you are asked, just tell the truth "The agent did not stamp my passport" OP will not have a problem.
Old Sep 10, 13, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Thank you! All your comments are very useful for me
Old Sep 10, 13, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
I looked over the stamps in my Passport. Fifty percent are difficult to read. Many have dates that can't be discerned at all. The expection of course are the stamps from Japan. Perfect in every detail.

Last edited by RRDD; Sep 10, 13 at 7:34 am
Old Sep 11, 13, 2:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
At least most of my trips back into the US on my ordinary US passports have involved getting stamped by US passport control types, and I have a rather large (at least three-figure) number of such trips to the US in the past decade or so with a lot of entries at just about every hub POE used by at least AA, DL and UA.

I would be curious to know why it would be the case that ordinary foreign visitors to the US from overseas would be less frequently stamped than myself on a US passport.
Old Sep 14, 13, 12:48 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
At least most of my trips back into the US on my ordinary US passports have involved getting stamped by US passport control types, and I have a rather large (at least three-figure) number of such trips to the US in the past decade or so with a lot of entries at just about every hub POE used by at least AA, DL and UA.

I would be curious to know why it would be the case that ordinary foreign visitors to the US from overseas would be less frequently stamped than myself on a US passport.
I would think the exact opposite: there's no important information conveyed by a stamp for a US citizen - they're here legally no if's and's or but's.

I am a US citizen and getting stamps is very hit or miss.
Old Sep 14, 13, 1:44 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post

Statistically it would seem unlikely, and non-stamping is most definitely the exception. I am definitely aware of a couple of occasions when US immigration missed stamping my (non-US) passport. One time I didn't notice until much later and I think the immigration officer just missed it when he was in a bit of a rush, however the other time in Miami was a little more strange and to this day I am still pretty sure that the immigration guy simply skipped processing me at all.
Old Sep 24, 13, 8:35 am

Since my first trip to the US in 1996 I have always got stamped by US officers, not a single miss.
Old Sep 24, 13, 9:34 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
last year, we flew to Rome, then took the train to Zurich, then flew home from ZRH. When we exited the train in Zurich, they checked our passports but didn't stamp them. When we went to ZRH for the flight home, the immigration officer noted that there was no Swiss entry stamp. I explained that we arrived by train, but the officer failed to stamp it. He acted like it was a huge problem. I told him that if it was a problem, he should bring it up at their next staff meeting, but I did nothing wrong. He let us proceed to the gate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: