Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Bumped from my seat by "The US Government"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bumped from my seat by "The US Government"

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by nrr
[I'm Executive Platinum on AA; if I'm in intl. business class, its only via an upgrade using SWUs (system wide upgrade).
I try to sit in window seats only--I like to look out the window, so FAM issues would not affect me.]
When airlines move pax to accommodate FAMs, do they first check who they are moving? A full fare bc ($8000+) on a fully refundable ticket might just cancel, demand a refund and go to another airline (who would be happy to take his money).
As I understand it, the USG just says "we want 2D (or whatever) for a FAM."
Old May 19, 2015, 9:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
As I understand it, the USG just says "we want 2D (or whatever) for a FAM."
That is indeed how I've seen FAMS do it.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Can they also be present on non-US airlines?
Old May 19, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Yes, if we extort this privilege in exchange for landing rights....
Old May 19, 2015, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
FAMs, not legally armed and on-duty unless the flag carrier's home country authorizes it.

Various other countries -- some in the OECD and some not -- have their own version of in-flight armed guards doing FAM-like duty for passenger flights.
Old May 19, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by nrr
[I'm Executive Platinum on AA; if I'm in intl. business class, its only via an upgrade using SWUs (system wide upgrade).
I try to sit in window seats only--I like to look out the window, so FAM issues would not affect me.]
When airlines move pax to accommodate FAMs, do they first check who they are moving? A full fare bc ($8000+) on a fully refundable ticket might just cancel, demand a refund and go to another airline (who would be happy to take his money).
I've got an upcoming flight where I'm pretty sure I've been bumped by a FAM (and no other seat in the cabin to be assigned - 8 seat F cabin). I'm either getting the 75% EU downgrade compensation, or they are moving me to one of the later flights with F. Either way I'm happy.

In my case, I'm pretty certain it's because of the seat I chose, 2A, which seems to be the favorite seat of FAMs. I'm also on an award flight so that might've had something to do with it, but more likely the 2A. They don't seem to like bulkheads, preferring more row 2 or 3, and they seem to like aisle seats on the left side of the aircraft.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by wrp96
I've got an upcoming flight where I'm pretty sure I've been bumped by a FAM (and no other seat in the cabin to be assigned - 8 seat F cabin). I'm either getting the 75% EU downgrade compensation, or they are moving me to one of the later flights with F. Either way I'm happy.

In my case, I'm pretty certain it's because of the seat I chose, 2A, which seems to be the favorite seat of FAMs. I'm also on an award flight so that might've had something to do with it, but more likely the 2A. They don't seem to like bulkheads, preferring more row 2 or 3, and they seem to like aisle seats on the left side of the aircraft.
I am not a frequent EU flyer. How do they compute 75% of an award ticket? Highest possible F to lowest possible Y? Or something else?
Old May 19, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by sbrower
I am not a frequent EU flyer. How do they compute 75% of an award ticket? Highest possible F to lowest possible Y? Or something else?
Who knows whether it's 75% of the miles of the entire ticket (including the trip there) or 75% of what the ticket would cost if I had paid cash. Either way I come out ahead in my mind. If they aren't willing to stand up to the US government about the stupidity of FAMs, and their ability to steal 1/8th of the seats in a cabin, then they should have to pay out.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:21 pm
Suspended

That does describe frequent MO for these characters, more so the avoid bulkhead one.
Old May 19, 2015, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The majority of people are right handed. Being on the left aisle would free the right hand to engage faster. I would think a left hander would sit on the right aisle.
Old May 19, 2015, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I've always wondered why no one has ever pointed out to them that their AM's tend to stick out like the proverbial. On a flight inside the US, and especially the US midwest or south, they might manage to not stand out too much, but on intl flights it's usually bleedingly obvious.
You're presuming that they want their identity to be concealed. There is probably a minimal deterrent effect from knowing that a FAM is aboard ... and any observant passenger with malicious intentions would certainly have to take that into account.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:13 pm

What is "FAM"? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fam?
or Federal Air Marshal?
Old May 21, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
What is "FAM"? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fam?
or Federal Air Marshal?
The latter.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:16 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
You're presuming that they want their identity to be concealed. There is probably a minimal deterrent effect from knowing that a FAM is aboard ... and any observant passenger with malicious intentions would certainly have to take that into account.
But if that passenger didn't know (nor was an FTer) how to spot FAMs--wouldn't it be better for the FAM to have a uniform clearly identifying him?
Old May 21, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by nrr
But if that passenger didn't know (nor was an FTer) how to spot FAMs--wouldn't it be better for the FAM to have a uniform clearly identifying him?
Sure thing......and undercover cops should wear their badges in plain sight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.