Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
I've often wondered how they disposed of my pills - or if someone took them home to see if he could make a big boom.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If there the right kind I would imagine orally.
Seriously, I hope not.
That is probably how they disposed of the infamous "explosive cupcake-in-a-jar" with the suspicious jell-like substance (aka icing).
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:05 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TSA Week In Review: Thursday, July 2, 2015

No camp fires and no hedge trimming allowed

• 37 Firearms Discovered This Week
  • Inert Ordnance and Grenades etc.
  • Seven inert/replica grenades were discovered this week in both carry-on and checked baggage at Albuquerque (ABQ), Fort Lauderdale (FLL), Houston (IAH), Little Rock (LIT), Kansas City (MCI), Chicago O’Hare (ORD), and Salt lake City (SLC). The inert grenade at MCI resulted in a 23 minute evacuation of the checked baggage area as well as Terminal B.
  • Artfully Concealed Prohibited Items
  • A belt buckle knife was discovered at Rapid City (RAP)
  • A knife was discovered inside of a book and under the lining of a carry-on bag at Minot (MOT)
  • Miscellaneous Prohibited Items
  • Knives and hedge trimmers were discovered at DAL, HNL, BOI, BWI, LGA, BDL and SNA
  • Fireworks were discovered at: HNL, BWI, CLE, and MQT
  • Camping fuel was discovered in a checked bag at (PDX)
  • 24 stun guns were discovered this week in carry-on bags

http://blog.tsa.gov/2015/07/tsa-week...-firearms.html
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by goalie
No camp fires and no hedge trimming allowed
And no mention of $75k "artfully concealed" at RIC.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: TSA
Or that whoever is making decisions for the TSA Blog realized that advertising illegal drug searches is counterproductive.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Is that all you got?

Why don't you tell us why the TSA Blog Team censored the BDO parody that I submitted in a comment?

Do you agree or disagree that censorship of speech by the federal government is an illegal act in all but a few restricted cases?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TSA Week in Review: Friday, July 10, 2015

• 63 Firearms Discovered
  • Inert Ordnance and Grenades etc
  • An inert cannonball was discovered in a checked bag at Lexington (LEX).
  • Six inert/replica grenades were discovered this week. Five were discovered in carry-on bags at Atlanta (ATL), Baltimore (BWI), Jacksonville (JAX), Los Angeles (LAX) and Santa Fe (SAF). An inert/replica grenade was also discovered in a checked bag at Santa Fe (SAF).
  • A Belt Buckle Knife was discovered at Norfolk(ORF) and a Comb Knife was discovered at Kansas City (MCI)
  • Miscellaneous Prohibited Items
  • Various knives, throwing stars a gun knife and a hatchet were discovered at PHX, LGA, CHS, SAN, SAT, AUS, ANC, DAL, MDW, GRR and CLE
  • Fireworks were discovered at BOI, DAL, ICT, OGG, RNO, SAN and MDW
  • Lopping shears, a sling shot, a carving knife, a hatchet, a limb saw and a machete were discovered at Columbia, SC (CAE)
  • 29 stun guns were discovered in carry-on bags this week

http://blog.tsa.gov/2015/07/tsa-week...ms-cannon.html*

*From the TSA website: Due to the Fourth of July holiday, this report reflects the last eight days (7/2 - 7/9)
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the many TSA weekly updates it is pretty clear that TSA does not serve as a deterrent to people trying to carry prohibited items with them when flying.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
From the many TSA weekly updates it is pretty clear that TSA does not serve as a deterrent to people trying to carry prohibited items with them when flying.
And the TSA blog even less so.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:36 am
Original Poster

TSA Week In Review: Friday, July 17, 2015

Nothing to see here-just the same "stuff"/different week. Please move along

• 48 Firearms Discovered This Week
  • Three inert/replica grenades were discovered this week. Two were discovered in carry-on bags at Atlanta (ATL) and Salt Lake City (SLC), and one was discovered in a checked bag at Charleston (CHS).
  • An artfully concealed cane knife was discovered at Bradley (BDL)
  • Knives, batarangs and throwing stars were discovered at BDL, DEN, IWA, RIC, MCI, BUF, SLC, LAX, IAH, SMF and SFO.
  • 27 stun guns were discovered this week in carry-on bags

http://blog.tsa.gov/2015/07/tsa-week...s-27-stun.html
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
Nothing to see here-just the same "stuff"/different week. Please move along

• 48 Firearms Discovered This Week
  • Three inert/replica grenades were discovered this week. Two were discovered in carry-on bags at Atlanta (ATL) and Salt Lake City (SLC), and one was discovered in a checked bag at Charleston (CHS).
  • An artfully concealed cane knife was discovered at Bradley (BDL)
  • Knives, batarangs and throwing stars were discovered at BDL, DEN, IWA, RIC, MCI, BUF, SLC, LAX, IAH, SMF and SFO.
  • 27 stun guns were discovered this week in carry-on bags

http://blog.tsa.gov/2015/07/tsa-week...s-27-stun.html
Of the three grenade like items pictured the center picture is of a 1 ounce bottle of Black Matter men's fragrance.

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Bla...e-10106958.jsp

Of course TSA posted the picture so it looks scary but anyone, excepting TSA employees, could look at the item and know it is neither a grenade or a realistic replica of a grenade.

How many 1 ounce bottles would fit in a Kippy bag?

Another example of the dishonesty that predominates TSA's public communications.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
And the TSA blog even less so.
Most people give this garbage a once-over and think they're fine. They're not carrying nun-chuks or chain saws, they're not bad guys.

So they show up with a little bottle of perfume or an armed sock monkey or an unopened can of Red Bull or a tiny bottle of nitro pills or a cupcake or (gasp!) a 'dual-purpose assistive device' (aka 'a cane that looks like a light saber') that violates the unpublished SSI standards.

Others look and wonder why, if you're being paid a generous government salary, you can't fabricate something a little more believable, something that doesn't make you look patently ridiculous when smuggling rings flourish and you fail your own agency's red team tests worse every year.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
...something that doesn't make you look patently ridiculous when smuggling rings flourish and you fail your own agency's red team tests worse every year.
Like one of the TSA clerks asking me: "Do you have somewhere to be?" How am I supposed to answer that? Of course, I have a plane to catch. That's why I am at the airport. I think I just answered with a "yes" and then was asked: "do you want to fly today". The infraction? A tube of toothpaste.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Like one of the TSA clerks asking me: "Do you have somewhere to be?" How am I supposed to answer that? Of course, I have a plane to catch. That's why I am at the airport. I think I just answered with a "yes" and then was asked: "do you want to fly today". The infraction? A tube of toothpaste.
If the purpose of the weekly fabrication is public education, then wouldn't it be more effective if, instead of making things up, they started showing the things they actually confiscate MOST OFTEN? You know, the things that slow the process down and distract TSOs from the real threats that they keep missing?

Show a picture of an 'artfully concealed' 4-ounce bottle of contact solution or an unopened can of soda or a chapstick not contained in the neutralizing Kippie bag or a tiny bottle of nitro pills or a leatherman with the knife blade broken off in a futile attempt to comply with regulations - or bottles of baby food and formula.

Show the sock puppet gun and the handbag with the image of a gun (and maybe a half-eaten pop tart that looks like a gun).

If TSA really wanted to improve the process, they would show the public what they are really watching for and confiscating 99% of the time.

Last edited by chollie; Jul 20, 2015 at 12:10 pm
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
That's when you call for the TSM for that terminal.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:52 pm

That's when you call for the TSM for that terminal.
You try that and the first thing they do is verify your departure time; the second thing is either to tell you the person you are talking to is a TSM or to tell you that the TSM is unavailable.

If you want a TSM, you have to try to schedule one ahead of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.