Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2015

Old Jan 5, 15, 10:33 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

TSA Week in Review: Friday, January 2, 2015

And away we go with the first body count of the year and what a coincidence-it looks the same as every week from last year

• 50 Firearms Discovered This Week
  • Artfully Concealed Prohibited Items
  • A comb knife was discovered in a carry-on bag at Orlando (MCO).
  • A belt buckle knife was discovered in a carry-on bag at Sarasota (SRQ).
  • 18 stun guns were discovered in carry-on bags this week

http://blog.tsa.gov/2015/01/tsa-week...-firearms.html

Last edited by goalie; Jan 5, 15 at 11:41 am Reason: added content
Old Jan 12, 15, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TSA Week in Review: Friday, January 9, 2015

Nothing to shake a sickle at...

• 32 Firearms Discovered This Week
  • A lipstick knife was discovered in a carry-on bag at Buffalo (BUF).
  • A sickle* was discovered in a carry-on bag at Newark (EWR).
  • Inert Ordnance and Grenades etc
  • Three inert grenades and 115 inert rounds contained in a WWII style military helmet were discovered in checked baggage at Denver (DEN).
  • An inert grenade was detected in checked baggage at Grand Junction (GJT).
  • Grenade shaped cologne bottles were discovered in carry-on bags at Minneapolis (MSP) and Sacramento (SMF).
  • 20 stun guns were discovered in carry-on bags this week.

*Not sure how this could be considered "artfully concealed" as it's
"kinda big"

Old Jan 14, 15, 6:54 pm
YKF

Grenade shaped cologne bottles were discovered in carry-on bags at Minneapolis (MSP) and Sacramento (SMF).

Welcome to the police state
Old Jan 15, 15, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by goalie View Post
"kinda big"
Go back and read the headings again The sickle isn't considered "artfully concealed" - it is under another its own heading.
Old Jan 15, 15, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AllieKat View Post
Go back and read the headings again The sickle isn't considered "artfully concealed" - it is under another its own heading.
TWEEEEET!!!!!!

Two minute penalty for me for bad formatting
Old Jan 15, 15, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Nothing to shake a sickle at...

• 32 Firearms Discovered This Week
  • A lipstick knife was discovered in a carry-on bag at Buffalo (BUF).
  • A sickle* was discovered in a carry-on bag at Newark (EWR).
  • Inert Ordnance and Grenades etc
  • Three inert grenades and 115 inert rounds contained in a WWII style military helmet were discovered in checked baggage at Denver (DEN).
  • An inert grenade was detected in checked baggage at Grand Junction (GJT).
  • Grenade shaped cologne bottles were discovered in carry-on bags at Minneapolis (MSP) and Sacramento (SMF).
  • 20 stun guns were discovered in carry-on bags this week.

"kinda big"

I don't understand the purpose of this fabricated weekly selected list of confiscated items.

Still confiscating bottles of perfume that no one but a TSO with expensive tastes, a lack of honesty and an active imagination considers a threat.

TSOs on this and other sites post about the weapons they confiscate daily. Statements by spokesTSOs support this - yet for some reason, instead of giving us the actual numbers of items confiscated, supposedly infiinitely larger than what is in this list, we get a fabricated 'partial excerpt' list.

What other organization operates like this? I'd be outraged if my police department started disseminating fabricated crime figures to the community and the local block watches.

Of course, honest reporting would include all numbers, including a comparison by percentage of the number of TSOs arrested or encouraged to quit for misconduct at the airport - compare those numbers with the percentage of pax arrested or turned away from the sterile area for presenting a genuine threat to aviation security.
Old Jan 15, 15, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie View Post
I don't understand the purpose of this fabricated weekly selected list of confiscated items.

Still confiscating bottles of perfume that no one but a TSO with expensive tastes, a lack of honesty and an active imagination considers a threat.

TSOs on this and other sites post about the weapons they confiscate daily. Statements by spokesTSOs support this - yet for some reason, instead of giving us the actual numbers of items confiscated, supposedly infiinitely larger than what is in this list, we get a fabricated 'partial excerpt' list.

What other organization operates like this? I'd be outraged if my police department started disseminating fabricated crime figures to the community and the local block watches.

Of course, honest reporting would include all numbers, including a comparison by percentage of the number of TSOs arrested or encouraged to quit for misconduct at the airport - compare those numbers with the percentage of pax arrested or turned away from the sterile area for presenting a genuine threat to aviation security.
It's all about making the kitchen cookware and certain farm animals feel (n.b. feel) that they are safer and getting all that federal funding dontchaknow
Old Jan 15, 15, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's all about making the kitchen cookware and certain farm animals feel (n.b. feel) that they are safer and getting all that federal funding dontchaknow
No.

TSOs and spokespeople talk all the time about how many guns they see transit a single checkpoint every day, not to mention all the other threats they see on a daily and hourly basis. Clearly the scope of the confiscated threats isn't SSI or multiple people wouldn't be talking freely about it. Then HQ publishes numbers that one TSO said were sort of 'highlights' - except they are not published as 'highlights'.

I don't understand the point of the lies and distortions. Frankly, the published numbers emphasize how minute the threat is considering how many airports and pax are involved.

I would really like to see honest numbers about 'threats' confiscated from checked bags. Odd that none of our resident TSOs ever comment on crazy things they've personally seen in checked bags.
Old Jan 15, 15, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by YKF View Post
Grenade shaped cologne bottles were discovered in carry-on bags at Minneapolis (MSP) and Sacramento (SMF).

Welcome to the police state
I am halfway tempted to get some of that cologne, use it all up, refill it with the most vile smelling concoction that I can formulate, then attempt to bring it through a checkpoint in a carry on bag. Of course, I will not get to witness the disgusted look on the theifs face that tries to "re-cycle" it, either for their own use or as a gift...oh, well...
Old Jan 15, 15, 6:51 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
To be fair to goalie, Bob at TSA is either ignorant of grammar, basic numbering or pathetic at paragraphing format. (Or, quite possibly, all of the above.)

In context, he wrote (emphasis mine):

Originally Posted by TSA Blob
Artfully Concealed Prohibited Items Its important to examine your bags [blah blah blah] Here are a few examples from this week where prohibited items were found by our officers in strange places.

Sickle - A sickle was discovered in a carry-on bag at Newark (EWR).
    Now either "a few examples" refers to just one lipstick knife (mathematical incompetence) or it also include the sickle (format incompetence). Either the line about the sickle was meant as a second dot point (format incompetence) or it's the caption for the photo and then after the photo Bob lost interest in continuing his list of "examples" and went on to ordnance such as perfume.

I don't think it's unreasonable to read the sickle as being a second item in the list of "examples of concealed items". And it's not really laughable that a sickle would be considered - by TSA - to be artfully concealed because, let's remember, the only "artfully concealed" items they list in the Blob are the ones that weren't artful enough to get through undetected. @:-)
    Old Jan 16, 15, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by chollie View Post

Why do you claim the list is fabricated? I see no reason to believe it is, at all.

That said, I can tell you darn well why we get a partial excerpt - one it'd be insane to compile a true list. Two, you'd have to go through ten thousand water bottles to find the handful of guns.
    Old Jan 16, 15, 11:09 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why do you claim the list is fabricated? I see no reason to believe it is, at all.

That said, I can tell you darn well why we get a partial excerpt - one it'd be insane to compile a true list. Two, you'd have to go through ten thousand water bottles to find the handful of guns.
    So what do you think the point of this list is?

It is fabricated - the numbers conflict with what TSOs all over the web say about the numbers of guns coming through their checkpoints on a daily basis.

So...they don't count water bottles (understandably), but they do count expensive perfume bottles?

If TSA wanted to be honest and helpful, they could do what some airports do: display recently found items that pax seemed particularly surprised about seeing confiscated: you know, a bottle of expensive perfume that to a TSO's eyes looks like a glass grenade. Or a ladies' handbag with an image of a gun on the flap.

I dislike dishonesty. I dislike it even more when I pay for it with my taxpayer dollars. I dislike it most of all when pathetic and pointless dishonesty is substituted for honesty for absolutely no reason at all - that's because I also dislike stupidity.

(bolding mine)

??? TSOs are not throwing guns in the bin with water bottles. They aren't tossing expensive bottles of perfume in with the water bottles, either. They certainly know how many micro-tools they confiscate and sell on Ebay, even if they don't know how many more leave the airport in TSO pockets.

Unfortunately, they are also not being screened before leaving the airport to ensure that they don't leave with 'confiscated' goods.

Last edited by chollie; Jan 16, 15 at 12:42 pm
    Old Jan 16, 15, 11:47 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

If a bottle of water is to dangerous to fly then it should be counted just a like a gun.
    Old Jan 16, 15, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
    If a bottle of water is to dangerous to fly then it should be counted just a like a gun.
    You're making the mistake that just because I agreed with something means I agree with them and their rules as a whole. FAR from it - the water bottle ban is INSANE.
    Old Jan 16, 15, 2:24 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd have no problem with the weekly post if it was honestly titled:

"Look at examples of what we confiscated this week. Just a friendly reminder to check your bags before leaving home to be sure you aren't accidentally carrying anything we'll confiscate at the airport."

Don't waste time fabricating numbers.

Search this Thread
    Search Engine: