Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The end of carry on??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
What about the on-board Wi-Fi that the airlines have invested in? Banning electronics from carry-ons would make that useless, and the airlines would get no Wi-Fi fees.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Put my cell phone, laptop, and reader in my checked bag? I may as well leave it on the sidewalk in front of the terminal.
Besides, I thought the FAA and most airlines have decreed that chucking lithium-ion batteries into the cargo hold was a Dumb Idea (and rightly so).
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
India had a carry-on/electronics ban applicable to commercial flights to/from SXR and IXJ during some years in the 1990s. I had to get special permission to get my laptop onto those flights and without that permission they were even trying to ban me and other people from carrying on even slippers in plastic shopping bags.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:31 pm

Banning carry-ons would mean banning anything that might be needed during a layover, right? No purses, no diaper bags, no medications, no phones... Ridiculous--and unfortunately in keeping with TSA's theory that combating terror with reactionary item bans is somehow effective.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
Banning carry-ons would mean banning anything that might be needed during a layover, right? No purses, no diaper bags, no medications, no phones... Ridiculous--and unfortunately in keeping with TSA's theory that combating terror with reactionary item bans is somehow effective.
Will not happen !

can you imagine lawsuits for valuables lost stolen from checked bags ? how do meds travel ?

Evrytime a new lock is designed crooks find a way to pick it. Similar situation with terrorists.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by HMPS
Will not happen !

can you imagine lawsuits for valuables lost stolen from checked bags ? how do meds travel ?

Evrytime a new lock is designed crooks find a way to pick it. Similar situation with terrorists.
Somehow thousands of people did survive it for a few short days.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by chollie
Somehow thousands of people did survive it for a few short days.
Yes, one presumes they were faced with " Fly or lose a deal or non refundable tickets ?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:03 pm
Suspended

:-: False Flag Alert :-:

Looks like the security boys need to show they're still relevant and come out with some "disturbing news".
I really need to open this tin-foil hat store...
And since when is Al Qaeda still around?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by chollie
It also comes down to the elites and how much collective clout they wield.

IME, the biggest consistent 'should know better' carry-on abusers are elites - in the front cabin or in the back. They are not carrying on to save $ because elites don't pay that fee. They are carrying on because they want to be sure they arrive with their valuables, luggage unmolested.

It isn't the once-in-a-lifetime flyer who is arguing with the gate agent because their Tumi or Briggs carry-on won't fit in the sizer.
Doubtful. Every elite I know has a standard 22" carryon (or smaller) OR checks bags because they just can't pack light for a longer trip.

The only abusers I see are the kettles who are trying to avoid a bag fee.

There was a short time period when electronics were banned in the cabin, but that policy was quickly reversed as it is not sustainable for business people, who are the most profitable customers.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Looks like FedEx will be getting a lot of my business if this happens. No way I am putting $20K of analysis tools in the hands of baggage handlers and the TSA guys in the basement.
Please be sure to carry enough 3rd party insurance for the $20K of tools
that you plan to ship with FedEx. Even if you paid extra for declared value,
FedEx will NOT pay out in the even of damage or loss, unless you can provide
detailed sales receipts or appraisals of the tools. The extra money that FedEx
charges you for declared value is NOT insurance.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Doubtful. Every elite I know has a standard 22" carryon (or smaller) OR checks bags because they just can't pack light for a longer trip.

There was a short time period when electronics were banned in the cabin, but that policy was quickly reversed as it is not sustainable for business people, who are the most profitable customers.
There was a short period of time where the TSA had banned even lap-child infants on US-bound TATL flights as part of the "carry-on ban" -- right after the paranoia about "death on an unprecedented scale" arising in conjunction with the legendary "liquid bomb" "plot". The rules and enforcement of rules during the period of "carry-on" "ban" by the U.S. and UK authorities was anything but consistent for the duration of the "ban" -- I say that as someone who flew the UK-US routes during that time.

When it comes to cabin baggage overload, I've seen FFP elites and premium cabin passengers be just as bad or worse than "kettles".
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:14 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TENYKS
Please be sure to carry enough 3rd party insurance for the $20K of tools
that you plan to ship with FedEx. Even if you paid extra for declared value,
FedEx will NOT pay out in the even of damage or loss, unless you can provide
detailed sales receipts or appraisals of the tools. The extra money that FedEx
charges you for declared value is NOT insurance.
I do and I have a detailed inventory.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo

There is one more type, service technicians with tools. The ones that can not be carried on are checked in a separate bag with my clothes. My electronics, none prohibited as of now, go with me. They are packed in a 1510 Pelican carry on, well within the sizer limit. Computer is in pack that fits under seat. Some techs check a large case of tools and pay the airline insurance. I know a few that have 2 or 3 complete sets of tools and ship them ahead to future jobs. While they are working with one set, the other may be in transit or waiting at the next job.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:10 pm

I remember flying from Geneva to Newark the day after the "Underwear Bomber."

You could use electronics in flight, but the entertainment system was shut off out of fear that you could see the moving map display. The little kid by the window asked if "that's the Statue of Liberty." "No!" I snapped to his dad, "You're not supposed to know that!"

But two hours prior to arrival, you could have nothing in your lap: no blankets, no pens, no books, no playing cards. You could only sit up and stare. It was unthinkably stupid. Then I got on a domestic transcon, where everything was allowed.

It was a showcase of the most paranoid, misguided, and useless tactics. Security had become a parody of itself.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:45 am

I was in Canada at the time of the "underwear" bomber incident and flew back to the US a few days later. At that time Canada instigated a ban on carry-ons for flights from Canada to the US. I was only travelling with a carry on so I had to check that in. From what I recalled on the news only electronics and a coat/jacket was allowed.

The agent at the check in told me I had to also check in all my electronics - an expensive camera, cellphone etc. I refused. I was told I would be sent back when I got to the security line. Since I recalled what was in the news I decided to chance it and sure enough I was allowed through without any issues.

However many complied with the agent and allowed their electronics to be checked in and so when they saw me going through with my stuff loudly started complaining to the security guy - why is that guy going through with electronics. The security guy simply told them electronics was allowed.

When I landed in the US to my surprise everyone was travelling with carry-ons without any issues.

Stupid reaction from Canada on that occasion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.