Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hydrogen peroxide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
AskTSA told someone several days ago that he could take hydrogen peroxide, 30% 1/2 cup for a science experiment, in his carry-on. (written instructions for this experiment say 6% H2O2)

https://twitter.com/AskTSA/status/759019769207017472

The question has been asked twice on the TSA blog if their rules about hydrogen peroxide have changed but, of course, West hasn't bothered to respond.

My question is: can anyone say affirmatively that TSA now allows H2O2 or was this just another egregious mistake by AskTSA?
If someone took a large bottle of Clear Care brand through it might help answer question.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
AskTSA told someone several days ago that he could take hydrogen peroxide, 30% 1/2 cup for a science experiment, in his carry-on. (written instructions for this experiment say 6% H2O2)

https://twitter.com/AskTSA/status/759019769207017472

The question has been asked twice on the TSA blog if their rules about hydrogen peroxide have changed but, of course, <deleted> hasn't bothered to respond.

My question is: can anyone say affirmatively that TSA now allows H2O2 or was this just another egregious mistake by AskTSA?
Like other contradictory answers on AskTSA and the website, it doesn't really matter.

The ultimate decision rests with the screener and so the only way to truly know what rule will apply is to show up and find out.

This may be part of the reason they keep failing the Red Team tests. I imagine the Red Team operates on the assumption that there are some rules that are consistent across all checkpoints; that is not the truth, and the 'rules' on contact solution are one excellent example.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 26, 2017 at 1:58 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Like other contradictory answers on AskTSA and the website, it doesn't really matter.

The ultimate decision rests with the screener and so the only way to truly know what rule will apply is to show up and find out.

This may be part of the reason they keep failing the Red Team tests. I imagine the Red Team operates on the assumption that there are some rules that are consistent across all checkpoints; that is not the truth, and the 'rules' on contact solution are one excellent example.
I think you nailed it. Of course there is no possible way for the public to test each and every TSA screener.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I think you nailed it. Of course there is no possible way for the public to test each and every TSA screener.
Maybe we could select them at random and waive the magic strips over their heads???
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Of course there is no possible way for the public to test each and every TSA screener.
Well, no practical way.

We could crowdsource the whole problem. Everyone take a bottle of peroxide with them through a checkpoint, log each screener's reaction, upload the results to a common database. If enough people participated, over time, we'd test every screener.

But ... yeah, that ain't gonna happen, so ....
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Well, no practical way.

We could crowdsource the whole problem. Everyone take a bottle of peroxide with them through a checkpoint, log each screener's reaction, upload the results to a common database. If enough people participated, over time, we'd test every screener.

But ... yeah, that ain't gonna happen, so ....
Heck -- don't even need real peroxide. Just take a container, label it hydrogen peroxide, and fill it with dihydrogen monoxide.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Heck -- don't even need real peroxide. Just take a container, label it hydrogen peroxide, and fill it with dihydrogen monoxide.
World Health Organization, dihydrogen monoxide is a key factor in 3rd leading cause of unintentional death in the world.

Last edited by gingersnaps; Aug 9, 2016 at 11:55 am
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
There is no know medical use for dihydrogen monoxide. It is killer. According to World Health Organization, dihydrogen monoxide is a key factor in 3rd leading cause of unintentional death in the world.
Yes, but the problem is that some TSOs make no distinction between that substance and the weak concentration of peroxide in some contact lens solutions.

It's the same way some TSOs believe that medical nitro pills are dangerous because they contain a form of nitro and TSA training emphasizes that nitro is a dangerous substance in any quantity or form.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but the problem is that some TSOs make no distinction between that substance and the weak concentration of peroxide in some contact lens solutions.

It's the same way some TSOs believe that medical nitro pills are dangerous because they contain a form of nitro and TSA training emphasizes that nitro is a dangerous substance in any quantity or form.
E-GAD! Isn't Clear contact lens solution mostly dihydrogen monoxide????
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
E-GAD! Isn't Clear contact lens solution mostly dihydrogen monoxide????
Anything with a name like that must be banned, just because it sounds like something in a scary TSA training module.

The trash bin will safely neutralize any threat; if the seal isn't broken, it's no threat anyway, as long as its handled with (blue latex) gloves.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:23 am

I can't agree with you more, my 2nd job requires me to go to various stores behind security at NYC airports. I do not have airport ID so I am subject to normal screening and not allowed Pre even if I had a KTN.

My stapler was confiscated even though it has gone thru many times without question, one trip and I was told it looks like a taser so they took it. No matter it was ok 100 times before. I even asked for a supervisor but the supervisor just backed her employee.
Yes it is heavy duty but I will let you decide if I can threaten you with it.

Why not just put the peroxide in those travel shampoo bottles, no label no problem?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
I can't agree with you more, my 2nd job requires me to go to various stores behind security at NYC airports. I do not have airport ID so I am subject to normal screening and not allowed Pre even if I had a KTN.

My stapler was confiscated even though it has gone thru many times without question, one trip and I was told it looks like a taser so they took it. No matter it was ok 100 times before. I even asked for a supervisor but the supervisor just backed her employee.

Why not just put the peroxide in those travel shampoo bottles, no label no problem?
I like the way you think.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That thing could give piercing a whole new outlook.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:42 am

The product in question is sterile contact lens solution. No one wants to muck around transferring a sterile eye solution to non-sterile bottles.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:21 am

The product in question is sterile contact lens solution. No one wants to muck around transferring a sterile eye solution to non-sterile bottles.
Actually, the subject was AskTSA telling someone that they could bring hydrogen peroxide in their carry-on, not necessarily Clear Care. It was obvious that AskTSA had not bothered to read the link given by the passenger before responding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.