Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hydrogen peroxide

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Hydrogen peroxide

Going through 800+ pages of FOIA/PA docs looking for interesting bits etc, I came across two interesting quotes responding to two different complaints:

"… the contact lens referred to is a product called "ClearCare" which contains hydrogen peroxide. This can be used together with other ingredients as an explosive material."

"However there has been an ongoing debate about this particular type of contact lens solution. Some airports allow and some don't."

Evidently they think someone's going to manufacture acetone peroxide on a plane. Or maybe not. Evidently they don't even have an agency-wide decision about whether hydrogen peroxide is or isn't an "explosive material".

ETA, yet another complaint: "Contact lens solutions are considered over-the-counter medications and are allowed in carry-on bags."

… in other words, they have a deliberate and inconsistent policy of violating their own medical liquids policy. How. Interesting.

Last edited by saizai; Oct 31, 2014 at 9:14 am
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:06 pm

So are you going to post the docs for us to see or not?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Hydrogen peroxide has two types of use.
  • Rocket fuel
  • Cleaner or bleach
As rocket fuel, the hydrogen peroxide is at a high concentration, is highly explosive and needs a large, complicated chemical plant to manage it. It is highly unstable.
As a cleaner, bleach, it is highly diluted. It is mildly corrosive, so if you do end up being in contact with it, you need to wash it off with water. It is non-explosive, stable and can be stored in pretty much anything (plastic bottles for example). It isn't dangerous.
Unfortunately some people mix the two uses up and think that contact lens solution made up of hydrogen peroxide can be used as rocket fuel.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Hydrogen peroxide in contact lens solution is prohibited out of an abundance of caution.

There have been reports that terrorists are planning to hijack a plane, turn it into a rocket, and take all the passengers to Mars.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shenxing
So are you going to post the docs for us to see or not?
Yes, once I've finished redacting them for my own privacy (various private contact info etc is scattered throughout).
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catandmouse
Hydrogen peroxide has two types of use.
  • Rocket fuel
  • Cleaner or bleach
As rocket fuel, the hydrogen peroxide is at a high concentration, is highly explosive and needs a large, complicated chemical plant to manage it. It is highly unstable.
As a cleaner, bleach, it is highly diluted. It is mildly corrosive, so if you do end up being in contact with it, you need to wash it off with water. It is non-explosive, stable and can be stored in pretty much anything (plastic bottles for example). It isn't dangerous.
Unfortunately some people mix the two uses up and think that contact lens solution made up of hydrogen peroxide can be used as rocket fuel.
H2O2 was used as a "monoprop" aircraft (X-15) and satellite thruster up until the early 1970s. The Germans invented this type of attitude control thruster back in the 1930s. The peroxide had to be 90% pure and relied on a catalyst bed to break it down into its components. The chemical reaction produced a gas (ordinary steam) that was compressed through a nozzle. To demonstrate how toxic 90% pure H2O2 is, the space industry replaced these thrusters with hydrazine (one whiff and you're dead before your brain comprehends you sniffed it). I suppose you could use the steam from your carry-on H2O2 thruster to scald the crew, take over the airplane, and steam-iron everyone's clothes while you were at it.

During most waking hours, the TSA is just plain stupid.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:13 am
Original Poster

OP ETA, yet another complaint: "Contact lens solutions are considered over-the-counter medications and are allowed in carry-on bags."
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: SWA A-List, OnePass, AA, U-MP, more
Hydrogen peroxide is also used in the "jet pack" device.

It's major advantage is that it's a very reliable propellant. Just put it in contact with a catalyst and it degrades into steam. It's major disadvantage is that there are many catalysts, and your container full might just spontaneously degrade into steam.

The way to avoid this is to dilute the hydrogen peroxide with water. But a safe-to-handle-unsealed concentration is pretty much useless as a precursor for making (more) dangerous compounds.

Oh, and the energy density isn't great. The "jet pack" only has fuel for 30 seconds to 4 minutes of flight -- barely enough for a carefully planned stunt.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eastport
Hydrogen peroxide is also used in the "jet pack" device.

It's major advantage is that it's a very reliable propellant. Just put it in contact with a catalyst and it degrades into steam. It's major disadvantage is that there are many catalysts, and your container full might just spontaneously degrade into steam.

The way to avoid this is to dilute the hydrogen peroxide with water. But a safe-to-handle-unsealed concentration is pretty much useless as a precursor for making (more) dangerous compounds.

Oh, and the energy density isn't great. The "jet pack" only has fuel for 30 seconds to 4 minutes of flight -- barely enough for a carefully planned stunt.
Yep -- that's why the space-faring nations stopped using peroxide thrusters in about 1970. But, alas, the TSA never met a threat it didn't like.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
To demonstrate how toxic 90% pure H2O2 is, the space industry replaced these thrusters with hydrazine (one whiff and you're dead before your brain comprehends you sniffed it). I suppose you could use the steam from your carry-on H2O2 thruster to scald the crew, take over the airplane, and steam-iron everyone's clothes while you were at it.
I[sub]SP[/sub] of hydrogen peroxide is 161 seconds.
I[sub]SP[/sub] of hydrazine is 220 seconds.

That's a very big reason to use hydrazine.

MSDS:
Hydrogen peroxide, 60%: http://msdsviewer.fmc.com/private/do...YPURE%20BULK~~
Hydrazine: http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924279

I'm having a hard time comparing them (and I can't find a MSDS for the 90% stuff) but the hydrazine looks a lot nastier.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
The ClearCare solution contains only 3% hydrogen peroxide, similar to the bottles sold in the drug store for other health and beauty uses. The most dangerous thing about the solution is, if one is still half asleep and accidentally uses liquid directly from the ClearCare bottle thinking it's regular saline.

Not that I would know from experience.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I[sub]SP[/sub] of hydrogen peroxide is 161 seconds.
I[sub]SP[/sub] of hydrazine is 220 seconds.

That's a very big reason to use hydrazine.

MSDS:
Hydrogen peroxide, 60%: http://msdsviewer.fmc.com/private/do...YPURE%20BULK~~
Hydrazine: http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924279

I'm having a hard time comparing them (and I can't find a MSDS for the 90% stuff) but the hydrazine looks a lot nastier.
You have to handle hydrazine in full SCAPE suits. They told us in the launch complex safety training that it smells like decaying fish. They also told us that this would be the last thing we would smell.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:20 pm

The government, from their completely implausible, manufactured liquid bombing plot from 2006, claim that hydrogen peroxide is of importance in bombing planes. Their chemical detectors necessarily measure traces of substances, meaning that the detection threshold is very low. They cannot tell a trace originating from a benign 3% solution from a trace from a 90% solution.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
The government, from their completely implausible, manufactured liquid bombing plot from 2006, claim that hydrogen peroxide is of importance in bombing planes. Their chemical detectors necessarily measure traces of substances, meaning that the detection threshold is very low. They cannot tell a trace originating from a benign 3% solution from a trace from a 90% solution.
That "%" symbol mean "percent", don't it? Isn't that, like, you know, math? TSA don't do math. People that are good at math are definitely spicious.

Y'all use a lot of big words in this thread too. That's spicious too.

Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:23 am
Original Poster

They cannot tell a trace originating from a benign 3% solution from a trace from a 90% solution.
That itself seems like a serious security problem worth Congressional investigation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.