Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

More TSA blacklisting with no recourse for innocent travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More TSA blacklisting with no recourse for innocent travelers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:12 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by ou81two
The US is, ahem, unique because of the target it has on its bad by fundamentalist groups. The only, ahem, country that has a bigger target, Israel, takes things even further.
And yet earlier today on another thread you were claiming that security procedures like document checking were "standard throughout the first world".
Then anyone can access the secure area. Given that this policy is standard throughout the first world, I have to scratch my head and ask if they know better or if you do.
So which is it: every (first world) country does security the same way so it must be the right way, or the US has more stringent security because it's "special"?

(Hint: neither of the above.)

Now to be fair, the IS threat issued earlier this week did single out one nation as being particularly targeted.

France.

Yeah, the one in Europe. "Americans, Europeans, ... Australians and Canadians" were all lumped together as a secondary target:
Originally Posted by WaPo
The statement, issued by group spokesman Abu Muhammad al-Adnani, asked Muslims to use all means to kill a “disbelieving American or European — especially the spiteful and filthy French — or an Australian or a Canadian” or any disbeliever and others whose countries have joined to try to disable and destroy the Islamic State group.
But keep telling yourself that the US is the only target of terrorism.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The US is, ahem, unique because of the target it has on its bad by fundamentalist groups. The only, ahem, country that has a bigger target, Israel, takes things even further.
Many countries are targets. America is not unique in this regard.

What is unique about America is how many of citizens will embrace and defend state oppression in pursuit of "safety."
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:57 am

HAHAHAHA umm that was a joke right and not a serious comment?

North America is the least likely region to suffer from terrorism;

Western Europeans are nineteen times more likely to be killed in a terrorist attack than North Americans;

There are around 40 countries rated higher than the USA as likely terrorists targets

During the last decade, the Middle East and North Africa region has seen the highest number of fatalities due to terrorism, closely followed by Asia Pacific
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Polio still hits people and you have a slew of tin foil hat wearing trailer park anti-government paranoid types who whine about vaccines and refuse to immunize their kids. They think that because something is rare that they don't need to protect against it.
Strawman. It's not a black or white proposition for us. I think I speak for most of us here that we're not against security but the theater that our security has become.

Ever wonder why this forum is now buried so way, way deep inside of the flyertalk website?
No. Is it?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:28 am

My argument is no more straw man than the opposite of my argument.You can think that you're representing those people. I'll think that the majority of people here don't understand the difference between latent and manifest consequences and when pressed they can't come up with systems that work better and don't have an understanding if why things are done the way they are.

Terrorists mostly aim locally or in neighboring jurisdictions.
Yes, because there are policies and procedures in place that make it much harder for them to operate in far away environments. Removing or easing security policies makes things easier.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:19 pm

..... Removing or easing security policies makes things easier.
At last you are starting to get it.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:05 pm

My argument is no more straw man than the opposite of my argument.You can think that you're representing those people. I'll think that the majority of people here don't understand the difference between latent and manifest consequences and when pressed they can't come up with systems that work better and don't have an understanding if why things are done the way they are.

Yes, because there are policies and procedures in place that make it much harder for them to operate in far away environments. Removing or easing security policies makes things easier.
Why don't you enlighten us?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:32 pm

They're extremely rare here because of the security measures that are in place...
Prove that TSA's security measures are so effective. Please. Prove that TSA's layers are more effective than having a Sbarro franchise at the airport. Don't forget to look at pre-TSA data...

If you are scrambling for data, check out the Global Terrorism Database at U of Maryland. You will find facts there about the targets of terrorism and more. Here's an example:

Code:
Countries with Most Attacks, 2013
Country      #Attacks  #Fatalities
Iraq         2852       7046
Pakistan     2212       2891
Afghanistan  1443       3697
India        690        464
Philippines  652        432
Thailand     477        253
Yemen        424        622
Nigeria      341        2003
Somalia      331        641
Egypt        315        243
Neither the US nor Israel are in the top 10. What were you saying about targets?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:10 pm

Basically the article states that they're using algorithms to predict risk. Your insurance companies do this every day. I don't see articles about that...
Hospitals Are Mining Patients' Credit Card Data to Predict Who Will Get Sick

Data brokers are profiling consumers online by race, other categories

Chicago PD's Big Data: using pseudoscience to justify racial profiling

Security Check Now Starts Long Before You Fly

The Dangers of High-Tech Profiling, Using Big Data

Data Privacy and Profiling - How 'Big Data' is Used to Create Your Online Identity

Big Data: Seizing Opportunities, Preserving Values
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:53 am

I turn the tables by getting paid to run algorithms on sketchy TSA agents
and other gov't goons. Drives em crazy. Money aint too bad either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.