Wiki Posts
Search

TSA at MCO needs a geography lesson

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lear 60, C-421, Beech A-36
TSA at MCO needs a geography lesson

A local ABC affiliate reporter finds he has issues with a document checker at Orlando International not recognizing his Washington DC issued drivers license.

You would think the clerk would at least know that is where his paycheck comes from.

Video: http://m.wftv.com/videos/news/orland...resher/vCjKK3/

My question is that if they don't know what a legitimate ID looks like, how do they know a forgery when they see one?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta, United
They do not that is why they want you to "state yer name"
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
This has come up before on this site. Apparently, DC is not a part of the U.S. (actually, might be more true than one might think).

This seems more like "name yer state" .
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:34 am

A prior incident at PHX was discussed here.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:41 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
So the TSO's at MCO are going to be shown pictures of what a DC driver's license looks like? When I was in elementary school, these were called flash cards
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by goalie
So the TSO's at MCO are going to be shown pictures of what a DC driver's license looks like? When I was in elementary school, these were called flash cards
And as long as they're not in Arabic, flash cards should be fine.

Mike
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonanza36
A local ABC affiliate reporter finds he has issues with a document checker at Orlando International not recognizing his Washington DC issued drivers license.

You would think the clerk would at least know that is where his paycheck comes from.

Video: http://m.wftv.com/videos/news/orland...resher/vCjKK3/

My question is that if they don't know what a legitimate ID looks like, how do they know a forgery when they see one?
Our new buddy, Ross, was right there at ~1:35 of the video with the usual TSA drivel.

The joke is on us, folks.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
And what could possibly be wrong with a TSA agent knowing Arabic? Perhpas a bit of bigotry at play?

Wouldn't it add to security if every TSA agent was fluent in each of the world's languages (there are 1000s, BTW) - or at least in more than one major one (English is one and Arabic is certainly another)?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Oh there is definitely bigotry at hand but it isn't by Mikeef.

http://rt.com/usa/tsa-arrest-arabic-...rds-court-845/

TSA found an "evil doer" in a college student who was studying arabic. And Mikeef was mocking the TSA.

Originally Posted by Indelaware
And what could possibly be wrong with a TSA agent knowing Arabic? Perhpas a bit of bigotry at play?

Wouldn't it add to security if every TSA agent was fluent in each of the world's languages (there are 1000s, BTW) - or at least in more than one major one (English is one and Arabic is certainly another)?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:04 pm

Oh, puh-leeze! They have enough trouble mastering one major language -- English. Asking for anything more than that would be wayyyy too much!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
Oh, puh-leeze! They have enough trouble mastering one major language -- English. Asking for anything more than that would be wayyyy too much!
Most of them can't even talk at all.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Oh there is definitely bigotry at hand but it isn't by Mikeef.

http://rt.com/usa/tsa-arrest-arabic-...rds-court-845/

TSA found an "evil doer" in a college student who was studying arabic. And Mikeef was mocking the TSA.
Thanks for pointing that out. Apologies to Mikeef.

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
English is my native language, the language of my education, the only language I know. I have an advanced degree. I still haven't mastered English. And I never suggested asking for multilingual agents, only that it couldn't help but to improve security.

Originally Posted by am1108
Oh, please. While there are certainly some who have educational issues. The vast majority of TSA screeners I have encountered have been (at least functionally) intelligent lucid beings. Hiring standards aren't top-notch, but on the whole, IMO, it is a much more educated and aware lot that were the private screeners employed by the airlines prior to the creation of the TSA.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Originally Posted by am1108
+1 I laughed out loud when reading this! ^
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike

Nothing at all and imho, it would help quell some of the xenophobic FWB paranoia that's out there both in the ranks and with the flying public but where some TSO's don't even know the capital of the country they live in and think New Mexico and Puerto Rico are foreign countries, I think you're asking for a lot
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
My favorite game!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.