Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

WP: "D.C. resident: TSA agent questioned if license from nation’s capital was valid"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WP: "D.C. resident: TSA agent questioned if license from nation’s capital was valid"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

From the "Are we surprised?" category, this time in Phoenix:

TSA agent questioned if license from nation’s capital was valid for flight:

According to Brandt, an agent with the Transportation Security Administration took a look at her D.C. license and began to shake her head. “I don’t know if we can accept these,” Brandt recalled the agent saying. “Do you have a U.S. passport?’
Of course, Spokesholess Lisa was johnny on the spot:

Asked about the incident, Lisa Farbstein, a TSA spokeswoman, pointed a reporter to the agency’s Web site, which has a published list of 15 types of valid IDs for airline travel, including “Driver’s Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent).”

Farbstein said she could not immediately comment on the incident, but on social media, it was clear that TSA officials were alerted to the incident.
I'm more concerned that the passenger was "afraid" when the clerk wouldn't accept her license. Well, I guess that's the way Pissy wants it.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
From the "Are we surprised?" category, this time in Phoenix:

TSA agent questioned if license from nation’s capital was valid for flight:

Of course, Spokesholess Lisa was johnny on the spot:

I'm more concerned that the passenger was "afraid" when the clerk wouldn't accept her license. Well, I guess that's the way Pissy wants it.
Maybe this was the same TSO that insisted that "New" Mexico was not part of the United States. You get what you pay for.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:38 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
There's our next Homeland Security Secretary
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:39 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Not Surprised. Is anyone surprised. This is the same agency that had an agent that though my brown Official US Passport was not valid.

As I have posted in the past, several of my friends and distant family who live in New Mexico get that all the time from people-TSA and many others.

New Mexico- Not New, Not Mexico...

Glad to see D.C. getting to share the love!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Not Surprised. Is anyone surprised. This is the same agency that had an agent that though my brown Official US Passport was not valid.

As I have posted in the past, several of my friends and distant family who live in New Mexico get that all the time from people-TSA and many others.

New Mexico- Not New, Not Mexico...

Glad to see D.C. getting to share the love!
When I held a Canadian driving licence 'what state is BC?'
I asked 'did you even look at the licence? It says CANADA on it'
Yet another one thought it was a British licence (despite the fact that UK is in the EU and EU member state licences have the EU circle with stars on it with country code.)
(I still hold a driving licence but it is issued by a different area, and does not have my photo on it.)
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by VelvetJones
Maybe this was the same TSO that insisted that "New" Mexico was not part of the United States. You get what you pay for.
Wrong.

Put the blame where it belongs.

I have never heard anyone suggest that TSA managers are underpaid. Above every employee pulling a stunt like this, there is a chain of well-paid management allowing and enabling this level of performance - a level that is rarely found or tolerated in your average Dunkin Donuts or Pizza Hut.

Federalize ≠ professionalism

Higher pay without professional management ≠ better TSO performance.

That said, this TSO did handle her lack of knowledge appropriately when she escalated to a senior employee.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star
Gotta love the government! Maybe I'll take my passport tomorrow in case DCA's TSA refuses my VA drivers license.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond
Dumbest Story of the Month

New Employee makes a mistake.

Supervisor corrects the situation immediately.

End of story.

Quick! Cue outage!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Jaxxon

End of story.

Quick! Cue outage!
Where did you learn how long the employee has been with TSA?

Your post is the only one in the thead approaching out[r]age, IMHO.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:48 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Jaxxon

End of story.

Quick! Cue outage!
Yep, I agree.

But I can't resist mentioning that when I was in grad school in DC I had some stationary printed up (this was before we printed our own stationary on the computer) that said the address was in: "Washington, District of Columbia." Which is officially correct as the City of Washington was once one of several cities in the Federal District until they were sent back to Virginia or merged into Washington.

The DC post office was unable to deal with this address and kept sending back my mail as "undeliverable" or sending it to Seattle for an address check.

Finally, got new stationary.

Can't blame that on the TSA!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
For a while there before global entry the poor guys at TSA Dulles would not accept the Sevis card issued by Homeland Security as a valid ID. Now I can walk into the country with it. I used it regularly just to see what they would do. Supervisors equally clueless and hostile. I confirmed with HQ it was on the acceptable ID list but that did not help at Dulles.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by iquitos
For a while there before global entry the poor guys at TSA Dulles would not accept the Sevis card issued by Homeland Security as a valid ID. Now I can walk into the country with it. I used it regularly just to see what they would do. Supervisors equally clueless and hostile. I confirmed with HQ it was on the acceptable ID list but that did not help at Dulles.
I had a TSA agent in Hawaii refuse to acknowledge that a NEXUS card was valid, despite it having "issued by Department of Homeland Security" on the back, and being item #3 on the list of "acceptable forms of ID". He wasn't happy if when I asked if he'd ever looked at the TSA website and suggested he ask for more training.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Unfortunately, this is not limited to TSA officers. We've had police officers in a number of jurisdictions do this to people from the territories like Guam, USVI, Puerto Rico, CNMI and American Samoa. Sad how ignorant we are about the territories
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: Amex Canada Centurion (and all the fixings)...and 20,000,000+ misc. points/miles to spend!
Prior to the advent of PreCheck, I lost track of the number of times that the TSA didn't recognize my NEXUS card or Canadian Driver's License. Of course, speaking to supervisors, filing complaints, etc. never did any good. It's a pathetic reflection on the training program (or lack thereof) for a job where a minimal level of knowledge is even required in the first place.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
shakes head in disbelief.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.