Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA fees to increase ticket prices in July!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by TSAPressSec
We have posted a statement about this increase here. You can also read the Federal Register notice.

This increase is part of the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013. The law restructures the fee limitation from up to $2.50 per leg of a connecting flight (capped at $5 per one-way trip), to a flat $5.60 per one-way trip.
The only restructure the TSA needs or deserves is downsizing.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last winter, I booked a free rewards ticket on RJ using AA miles. This "free" ticket cost me $125 in fees and head taxes. We're definitely heading in that direction.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I have five flights already booked and paid for in December/January. Will I be charged for the additional TSA fees? If so, I consider the fees to be an outlandish increase on the already-heavy burden that air passengers bear.

On the other hand, I expect this to be my last trip to the States (I will be flying to Europe a lot more in the future) so if I don't have to pay for these five flights, I think this additional charge is a much-needed source of revenue for the federal coffers which will, I hope, keep me from seeing my US Income Tax increased.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dovster
I have five flights already booked and paid for in December/January. Will I be charged for the additional TSA fees?
No -- unless you decide to change your ticket in the latter half of the year and the ticket gets reissued as per a voluntary change.

This TSA play of word games to milk the travelers in the US won't stop your personal income tax obligations in the US from being whatever they are under the current circumstances applicable this year and next.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:11 am
Company Representative, TSA

Originally Posted by mre5765
I didn't see any way to provide comments. Please post a link or an email address. Thanks.
Comments must be received by Aug. 19, 2014.

You may submit comments, identified by the TSA docket number to this rulemaking, to the Federal Docket Management System (FDMS), a government-wide, electronic docket management system, using any one of the following methods:

Electronically: You may submit comments through the Federal eRulemaking portal here. This link will take you directly to the comment portion of the site.

Mail, In Person, or Fax: Address, hand-deliver, or fax your written comments to the Docket Management Facility, U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE., West Building Ground Floor, Room W12–140, Washington, DC 20590–0001; fax (202) 493–2251. The Department of Transportation (DOT), which maintains and processes TSA’s official regulatory dockets, will scan the submission and post it to FDMS.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Steve GadFly
How about if the TSA makes some of the money it needs by actually enforcing PreCheck and only allowing people with Global Entry or those who have paid the fee to use it.
The $85 fee doesn't go back to the TSA budget. You can read this document to understand where the money goes. It goes to support the background check and the operational aspects of issuing the KTN.

Would be glad to discuss in another thread the use of these various programs that grant TSA Pre✓™ on a per-flight basis.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Last winter, I booked a free rewards ticket on RJ using AA miles. This "free" ticket cost me $125 in fees and head taxes. We're definitely heading in that direction.
not only are you heading in that direction, I feel bad for you (the USA public) as none of the USA public were really informed neither during the budget nor a public announcement by any of your politicians
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
not only are you heading in that direction, I feel bad for you (the USA public) as none of the USA public were really informed neither during the budget nor a public announcement by any of your politicians
I am a civil servant, so I am not going to get into the politics of the fee increase. However, it was debated in open sessions before the House and Senate, and was part of the compromise in December 2013.

You may submit comments to the Federal Docket Management System (FDMS), a government-wide, electronic docket management system here. More information on this rule is available online.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
TSA fee hike takes effect

Today is the first day that travelers will be seeing their security fee (and the cost of their ticket) go up.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...,7792830.story

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...-fee/12849631/

http://www.flyertalk.com/story/tsa-f...overnight.html

Last edited by FTcadence; Jul 21, 2014 at 11:35 am Reason: One more link
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Maybe we just need a toll barrier at the entrance to the checkpoint. Pay-per-screening. Swipe your credit card or insert cash to enter the checkpoint. No more burying the charge in a ticket, and you pay for the number of checkpoint trips you take.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Since everyone seems to hate the TSA, Congress was smart to blame the TSA on the increase. As the USA Today article stated,
Congress agreed to the increase in December to raise $12.6 billion to cut the deficit.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:20 pm

What about the 5% pay raises tsa just got.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:25 pm

When it comes to the fee increase, it is bascially a complete wash for TSA:

Under the previous structure, over 10 years: $23.47 billion ($19.58 billion from the passenger security service fees at $2.50 per enplanement + $3.89 billion from the Aviation Security Infrastructure Fee (carrier paid fee).

NOTE: TSA imposed an additional fee on air carriers and foreign air carriers, known as the Aviation Security Infrastructure Fee (ASIF), which was subsequently capped at a per-industry aggregate limit of $420 million per year. That $420 million was removed by Congress in December 2013.

Under the new structure, over 10 years: $36.48 billion from the passenger security service fees - $12.63 billion back to Treasury = $19.96 billion to TSA.

Previous: $23.47 billion ($19.58 billion from the passenger security service fees at $2.50 per enplanement + $3.89 billion from ASIF).
Current/new: $23.85 billion

Just so you can clearly see the breakdown. We are following the law passed by Congress.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It's not a complete wash for the TSA, especially as the TSA ought to know well enough that anything that makes the TSA way more of a revenue center for the government makes it less likely to be under as much pressure to cut costs over the longer term.

Where did Congress define "one-way" or "round-trip" in the creative way that the TSA is using in order to further tax passengers? If anything, the TSA seems to be trying to be more loyal than the (legislative) king without restricting itself to what the (legislative) king actually wrote down.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by TSAPressSec
Under the previous structure, over 10 years: $23.47 billion ($19.58 billion from the passenger security service fees at $2.50 per enplanement + $3.89 billion from the Aviation Security Infrastructure Fee (carrier paid fee).

Under the new structure, over 10 years: $36.48 billion from the passenger security service fees - $12.63 billion back to Treasury = $19.96 billion to TSA.
$20 Billion here, $30 Billion there, and before you know it, we're talking about real money!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.