Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

What questions were you as a US citizen asked by US border patrol agents?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What questions were you as a US citizen asked by US border patrol agents?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

so we are allowed to record at the border? that would be helpful
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I think the 1st amendment makes abundantly clear that the answer to that question is "yes." CBP, due to their mental impairments and general lack of competence, say otherwise. There are currently two lawsuits that are expected to help CBP better understand the simple language of the Constitution.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blogndog
I think the 1st amendment makes abundantly clear that the answer to that question is "yes." CBP, due to their mental impairments and general lack of competence, say otherwise. There are currently two lawsuits that are expected to help CBP better understand the simple language of the Constitution.
this would be very good actually. if the border patrol check point agents have nothing to fear, why not allow us to record the whole conversation?

I wish I knew this several months ago when we got mistreated at US side of border. I filed complaint but they wrote back saying nothing they did or asked was wrong and we were treated with respect and courtesy.I had no video or audio proof. I wonder what devices others are using to record while in their car.
In future when ever I come back from Canada, I will record. Never had any trouble at canadian side of the border or any other international airports but coming back to US has occasionally been bad experience. I had been asked to speak out my citizenship even after showing my US passport book or card. The worst incident was when an officer kept grilling us for 10 mins asking me for my BC, US passport book, alien green card and more even after I showed him my US passport card proving my nationality. Asked us how and why we first came to US. I was with my infant baby and wife and we have zero criminal record. He even questioned my baby's name even though we showed him his US BC. He made all these questioning worse by being so rude and condescending. Checked our car and trunk.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Sep 26, 2014 at 10:57 am
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:16 pm

Never had any trouble at canadian side of the border or any other international airports but coming back to US has occasionally been bad experience. I had been asked to speak out my citizenship even after showing my US passport book or card.
I had that happen once. Handed the agent my US passport. He asked my nationality. I told him I had just handed him my US passport; he responded by saying, "I need you you to verbally confirm your citizenship. Are you a U.S. citizen?" I said "well, let's see, if I say 'no', then either my passport is fake, and I'm going to prison for a forged document, or my passport is real, and I'm going to prison for lying to a Federal officer, so I think I'll go with 'yes'. Is your normal practice to insult the intelligence of travellers?" After the usual "I'm just doing my job BS" I was on my way.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:54 am

Absolutely you are allowed to record at the border. But they have much greater leeway on the actual border to search your belongings and what not. They don't need RS or PC. So I would make your recording covert (there is no requirement to inform them you are recording anyway).

But, unless whatever they do amounts to abuse, your recording probably wont' be useful in a court. But it will be useful to help others see what occurs at the border.

The border is a bad place for liberty. And the Border Patrol has been trying hard to get the same lawlessness applied to interior checkpoints far from the border.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA G, *G, Global Entry, Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont, Hyatt, Starwood etc
Right to record conversations with border agents?

Where is any document proving we have the right to record at the border? Because they certainly have all those signs at airport Immigrations saying you cannot even use a cellphone.
I think it would be quite handy to record some of these conversations. I suppose recording could be done covertly, but if it is not legal, even this could get one into trouble.

I am thinking of the example from another forum where a pax asked to see a supervisor at a TSA precheck point because the TSA was rude when the pax evinced concern about slow processing. Next thing he knew, his GE had been revoked and he was labeled a "security risk". Of course it was a matter of hearsay. A recording of both of those conversations could have been very helpful to the pax in getting his GE reinstated.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by landrew
Where is any document proving we have the right to record at the border? Because they certainly have all those signs at airport Immigrations saying you cannot even use a cellphone.
I think it would be quite handy to record some of these conversations. I suppose recording could be done covertly, but if it is not legal, even this could get one into trouble. .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA G, *G, Global Entry, Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont, Hyatt, Starwood etc
Constitution Free Zones

Cute, but I'm sure the Constitution didn't anticipate a pattern and practice of CB abuses, let alone HSD.

Taking a look at this, the TX and AZ ACLU both state that you have the first amendment right to record the activities of law enforcement officers, but that you do risk confiscation of the device used to do so.

There is a federal district court case on point, detailed here http://holdcbpaccountable.org/2013/1...tober-24-2012/

It concerns photography, not audio recording, and so far as I can interpret it looks like CBP won, except that the decision is confusing enough that a request for clarification was filed and may still be in process. If anyone has that, it could be helpful.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:21 am

It's not a question, but the most annoying thing that I keep getting told by US Border Patrol agents is "Welcome home." I haven't lived in the US for over 11 years, am now a dual citizen, own a house here, etc. The US isn't my home anymore....and I find annoying that they assume that I think it is....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.