FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   What questions were you as a US citizen asked by US border patrol agents? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1578164-what-questions-were-you-us-citizen-asked-us-border-patrol-agents.html)

Blueskyheaven May 18, 2014 8:25 pm

What questions were you as a US citizen asked by US border patrol agents?

I am a US citizen( Asian American) and have driven to Canada many times from US and the only questions they ask me are , why I am going to Canada, where and for how long and if I am carrying booze or cigars. I show them my US passport card or passport book and never had any problems.

But Whenever travelling from Canada to US, my goodness, do I face racism. They look at my like I am some sort of a terrorist. WoW!!!!!!!!!!! Just because I look different. I don't have any criminal record and I am a US national.
They ask me what my citizenship is even after I show them my US passport card and passport book. They ask me my birth country and more. All these on top of how long I was in Canada and why I went there and where I am going now. The other day we were asked things like why my US citizen baby and I and my wife don't have same names, why I was driving a big car. Why I first came to US and much more. After about 6 minutes, He condescendingly said" SHUT THE ENGINE, GIVE ME THE KEY" OPEN THE TRUNK"

If you are a US citizen, what type of questions were you asked when you cross the border in to US? How have you dealt with those agents?

Even when I enter the US at airport, the immigration /customer agent asks me where I went to and for how long. I didn't see them asking these questions to other US citizens.

rabtech May 18, 2014 10:27 pm

The last time it crossed over near Buffalo, I was asked quite a few questions as well. It was friendly, but more than just one or two - my home town, how long was I in Canada, where did I stay, did I drive or fly, did I buy anything to bring back, and a number of other questions. I wasn't all that alarmed by it. Just figured it was their normal process.

PeaSouper May 19, 2014 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven (Post 22886179)
I am a US citizen( Asian American) and have driven to Canada many times from US and the only questions they ask me are , why I am going to Canada, where and for how long and if I am carrying booze or cigars. I show them my US passport card or passport book and never had any problems.

But Whenever travelling from Canada to US, my goodness, do I face racism. They look at my like I am some sort of a terrorist. WoW!!!!!!!!!!! Just because I look different. I don't have any criminal record and I am a US national.
They ask me what my citizenship is even after I show them my US passport card and passport book. They ask my my birth country and more. All these on top of how long I was in Canada and why I went there and where I am going now. The other day we were asked things like why my US citizen baby and I and my wife don't have same names, why I was driving a big car. Why I first came to US and much more.

If you are a US citizen, what type of questions were you asked when you cross the border in to US? How have you dealt with those agents?

Even when I enter the US at airport, the immigration /customer agent asks me where I went to and for how long. I didn't see them asking these questions to other US citizens.

Once you have satisfied them that you are a US citizen, you need not answer anything else. They can ask you where you went, for how long, why you're driving a big car, etc, but you're not obligated to answer any of those questions.

Blueskyheaven May 19, 2014 7:58 am

When arriving back home from overseas at the airport, I am very comfortable answering questions like if I was carrying any food or seeds or drugs or anything. I don't mind them checking my bags by sending me to custom inspection. The next time at the airport and when I am asked where I went to, why and for how long. I think I will answer: I just showed you my US passport, that means I am a Citizen and not an Alien. My skin color shouldn't matter. I have the right to travel to any country and for as long as I want. I will not answer this question because I don't have to. If they want to send me to secondary inspection, I will ask them if they are detaining me and if they are going to arrest me? Can they detain, jail or do anything to you if you refuse to answer questions like the ones above? I am still trying to study and learn more on how to deal with agents at the Borders.
Thanks guys

lmsalman May 19, 2014 8:01 am

Originally Posted by rabtech (Post 22886542)
The last time it crossed over near Buffalo, I was asked quite a few questions as well. It was friendly, but more than just one or two - my home town, how long was I in Canada, where did I stay, did I drive or fly, did I buy anything to bring back, and a number of other questions. I wasn't all that alarmed by it. Just figured it was their normal process.

I had the same experience at the border crossing in Buffalo. Where had I traveled? Where did I stay while there? Where did I rent the car from? What time was my departing flight? Definitely not the friendliest of border crossings.

JCary May 19, 2014 8:11 am

do I face racism.

What do you think?

MichaelKade May 19, 2014 9:27 am

White male I've had pretty standard experience:

Where are you coming from? - Country X

What was the purpose of your visit? - Business

80% of the time they will ask what I do - depending on the customs officer this often results in a conversation about my line of business. As I use this as an opportunity to promote my products and services I actually prefer when they ask. I've handed out several business cards though I've received no calls (to date) as a result of these interactions.

Firebug4 May 19, 2014 9:49 am

Originally Posted by PeaSouper (Post 22886999)
Once you have satisfied them that you are a US citizen, you need not answer anything else. They can ask you where you went, for how long, why you're driving a big car, etc, but you're not obligated to answer any of those questions.

Remember, it is when the officer feels satisfied that you are a US Citizen. It is not when you believe you have satisfied the officer. Many of those questions that were asked of the OP were to establish that he was indeed a US Citizen and was legally entitled to that US Passport.

The where you went and for how long type questions can be Customs related questions to determine if you are a resident and what exemptions you are entitled to. For Customs purposes, you can be a US Citizen but not a resident.

FB

AllieKat May 19, 2014 12:04 pm

Racism bothers me just as much as anyone, but in this particular case, I really doubt you're facing racism. US CBP harasses everyone. I get harassed by both CBSA and CBP routinely, and I'm white.

It just goes with the territory, if you breathe, CBP will try their best to make your life miserable. CBSA, too - you've just got lucky.

Blueskyheaven May 19, 2014 12:34 pm

I respect the jobs they are doing and I know they have the authority to ask certain questions, but when you are a US national with valid US PASSPORT or passport card, then they should not be treating me like a legal or illegal foreign resident. I doubt many of you here have been asked, where you were born or why and when you came to US. It shouldn't matter I was once a just a legal resident or how I look. I was eve. Asked why I didn't have resident card aka green card.

Yoshi212 May 19, 2014 12:50 pm

At airports that practice works because Immigration & Customs are separated. At a land crossing the same agent makes the Immigration check and decides if a customs check is required. This can easily be abused for retaliation/"respect my authoriteh" power play.
At age 19 I had my first real run in with Peace Bridge power play. I was kept in a room for 4+ hours and denied access to a phone, legal rep or a state department designee. Luckily for me I worked with the daughter of one of the bridge administration higher ups and when he found out what happened "heads rolled". It only got worse a few weeks later when 9/11/01 happened and at upon returning to the US from Niagara Falls CA one night I was suspected of being one of the "evil doers" because I have an ethnic name yet am of German-Italian-Russian heritage and look like the euromutt that I am.
I don't advise making your fight at a land border crossing but also doesn't mean you have to put up with anything they dish out. I made my stand at LAX a few years ago and after being put in an office for a supervisor I was through in 15 minutes after the supervisor realized I knew more than his agent and the agent was just being a horse's rear.

Originally Posted by PeaSouper (Post 22886999)

T-the-B May 19, 2014 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Firebug4 (Post 22888787)
Remember, it is when the officer feels satisfied that you are a US Citizen. It is not when you believe you have satisfied the officer. Many of those questions that were asked of the OP were to establish that he was indeed a US Citizen and was legally entitled to that US Passport.

FB

I understand the distinction between believing I have presented adequate proof of citizenship and the officer believing I have satisfactorily satisfied his requirement for proof. However; how does one distinguish between the officer needing be satisfied by sufficient proof of citizenship and the officer needing to be satisfied by adequate deference to his "authoritah"? I fear that there is a lot of the latter being rationalized as the former.

Yoshi212 May 19, 2014 2:25 pm

In my instance at LAX the Immigration Officer asked me questions about travel stamps in my passport from the previous 7 years, why my passport was marked as replacement for lost passport even though the passport was 7 years old at the time, Why I went from London to Japan to LAX and then planned on going to EWR next instead of flying LHR-JFK and when I mentioned the Ash Cloud he had no idea what I was talking about. He told me my actions were suspicious. I then asked him if he felt my actions as a citizen were suspicious or if the fact that I was a citizen was suspicious. He didn't like that. That is when I called for a supervisor and was allowed to pass shortly after.
There was no real doubt about the validity of my passport (as it had been scanned and cleared via the system) and that it was myself so I was told there was no reason for me to held. Also no retaliation at Customs.

Originally Posted by T-the-B (Post 22889968)
I understand the distinction between believing I have presented adequate proof of citizenship and the officer believing I have satisfactorily satisfied his requirement for proof. However; how does one distinguish between the officer needing be satisfied by sufficient proof of citizenship and the officer needing to be satisfied by adequate deference to his "authoritah"? I fear that there is a lot of the former being rationalized as the former.

fwoomp May 19, 2014 9:24 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I was grilled more thoroughly coming back to the U.S. from Vancouver than I have been trying to enter all the other countries where I AM an alien combined. I am Ms. WASPy WASPerson, btw.

I was away for a conference, and they were Very Concerned because I hadn't bought anything to bring back. (Duh--I was at the conference the whole three days--plus I usually don't buy much when I travel.) They finally relaxed when I remembered I'd gotten a free tshirt, and let me go. All I can guess is I fit a profile for smuggling pot or something.

The other day we were asked things like why my US citizen baby and I and my wife don't have same names, why I was driving a big car. Why I first came to US and much more.

Based on those questions, I would guess they thought you fit a profile for human trafficking, U.S. Passport and all. :rolleyes: I don't share a last name with my husband, either (despite referring to him as "Mr. Fwoomp" on here), though, and I doubt I would be able to let that question go without a snide response. ("It's common in my culture (meaning the U.S.)." "I'm here to go home, not teach a Women's Studies class." "That would be pretty confusing, wouldn't it?")

FredAnderssen May 20, 2014 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven (Post 22889687)
I respect the jobs they are doing and I know they have the authority to ask certain questions, but when you are a US national with valid US PASSPORT or passport card, then they should not be treating me like a legal or illegal foreign resident. I doubt many of you here have been asked, where you were born or why and when you came to US. It shouldn't matter I was once a just a legal resident or how I look. I was eve. Asked why I didn't have resident card aka green card.

When my wife was naturalized, she turned in her green card. She was then able to get a US passport. It puzzles me why they think you should have a US passport AND a green card. As far as I know, those two don't go together.