Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get Ready to Give Up Your Toothpaste

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by yandosan
I often cite toothpaste tube seizure as the epitome of idiocy of TSA Policy, especially when it's an old tube with little toothpaste content. Now it makes the news as their main concern. As if the bad guys aren't bright enough to switch the explosives to other containers. like shampoo or chapstick.
According to the news story I saw on ABC, the alert didn't just mention toothpaste, it also mentioned face wash and skin lotion.

That's why the TSA ban is on all liquids, gels, and aerosols over 3.4oz. And why it extends to anything "gel-like" which "conforms to the shape of the container". Which explains why a cupcake in a jar is prohibited, while a cupcake in a paper cup is not, since the frosting of the jared pastry conforms to the shape of the container and MIGHT be explosives.

Somewhere in this mess, however, they completely forgot that they also have means at their disposal to determine whether the substance in the jar is plastic explosive dyed pink to look like frosting, or is just frosting - it's called ETD swabs. And while ETD's accuracy is carpy, to say the least (mostly due to inept operators causing rampant cross-contamination), it's still a tool available to them that they don't bother using much except to cause punitive delays.

The idea of any TSO using critical thinking to actually determine whether something IS or IS NOT an explosive, rather than just using their "discretion" to ban anything that MIGHT be an explosive, is completely foreign to the agency.

Let's see how the Russians handle this threat, not just at the airport, but all over the Olympic village and in the city of Sochi.

Originally Posted by kochleffel
I'm traveling to someplace sunny next week. How will they determine that my tube of sunscreen isn't really full of toothpaste?
They won't even try. They'll just force you to voluntarily surrender it.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:04 am

I'm traveling to someplace sunny next week. How will they determine that my tube of sunscreen isn't really full of toothpaste?
Great - thanks to you we won't be able to take sunscreen either. You know the NSA is monitoring this thread don't you?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:19 am

I'm sure the TSA will say that their "research lab" has concluded that the amount of material in a 3.4 oz or less tube of toothpaste is not dangerous. They won't mention that people could carry several tubes in their baggie or several people could combine their tubes later.

Either that or they will limit people to one tube of toothpaste and completely ignore that dangerous materials can be packed in other containers.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:21 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by spd476
I'm sure the TSA will say that their "research lab" has concluded that the amount of material in a 3.4 oz or less tube of toothpaste is not dangerous. They won't mention that people could carry several tubes in their baggie or several people could combine their tubes later.

Either that or they will limit people to one tube of toothpaste and completely ignore that dangerous materials can be packed in other containers.
A TSA "research lab" consists of expensive, exotic monkeys being housed in a very expensive, posh facility throwing their own feces at each other.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:18 am

You will be asked to rub some on exposed skin, after which you will be subjected to a sniff test...as long as you aren't minty fresh, you'll be good to go*.

*Unless they've come out with coconut or banana-flavoured toothpaste...
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by Spiff
A TSA "research lab" consists of expensive, exotic monkeys being housed in a very expensive, posh facility throwing their own feces at each other.
Thanks for that. I just sprayed my soda all over the screen. ^
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Rep. King, you are no longer allowed to wear big boy pants.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Peter King is a panty-waisted little coward. Chicken Little shows heroic courage compared to little Peety Peepants.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thumbs down

From the CNN link above:
"My prediction is that they will give a direct order that they'll be removing toothpaste from passengers' hand-carried items" and possibly from checked luggage as well, said Glen Winn, a former security director at United and Continental airlines.
What about a shampoo bottle that I've written "Toothpaste" on. Is that kay? What idiocy.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:48 am

TSA and other agencies pretending to provide security should be required to demonstrate that a specific object is a credible threat before they can steal, er confiscate, er require a passenger voluntarily surrender that specific object.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by N965VJ
^

The caveat to Rep. King's statement is the fact that no one has provided him w/an all expense paid trip to Sochi. However, should that happen he would, of course, brave this very serious threat in order to support the athletes blah, blah, blah
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
From the CNN link above:What about a shampoo bottle that I've written "Toothpaste" on. Is that kay? What idiocy.
You've got it backwards-you need to write shampoo on your toothpaste tube & then it will be ok
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by txrus
You've got it backwards-you need to write shampoo on your toothpaste tube & then it will be ok
So if I write "Shamp" on my toothpaste and "Toothpaste" on my shamp which can I bring on bard?!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
So if I write "Shamp" on my toothpaste and "Toothpaste" on my shamp which can I bring on bard?!
Both. But you will be washing your hair with toothpaste and brushing your teeth with shampoo...or is it the other way around??
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold
So TSA is going to scan all checked bags for tubes or creme containers, pull the bag, open it, take out all the tubes of toothpaste, cosmetics, sunscreen, etc., close the bag and send it on it's way? They'll be inspecting every single checked bag then as everyone checks toiletries and cosmetics. How long will that take?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.