Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Politico: DOJ Lawyer claimed Guantanmo prison searches are just like TSA searches

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Politico: DOJ Lawyer claimed Guantanmo prison searches are just like TSA searches

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

Here is an amazing bit of reporting by Politico's Josh Gerstein:

Politico:
Feds: Guantanamo searches not like TSA's

12/13/13 5:52 PM EST

Last Monday, Justice Department Attorney Edward Himmelfarb claimed in court that searches of Guantanamo prisoners heading to meet with their attorneys are comparable to searches that Transportation Security Administration performs of travelers at U.S. airports:

"As a couple of spokesmen for Guantanamo said in the articles that are in the record, it's basically like a TSA search at the airport...a supplemental search," Himmelfarb told the court, according to a recording of the argument. "That's basically what it is and people fly all the time, including devout Muslims. It's not as bad as it sounds. The genital area is touched through the clothing with a flat hand, the way the TSA does," he added.

However, in a letter sent to the court Friday afternoon (and posted here), Himmelfarb said he wished to revise his remarks.

"I would like to clarify that while the search procedures employed at Guantanamo bear some general similarities to patdown procedures employed at airport security checkpoints, the two sets of procedures are not identical. Although the Transportation Security Administration's patdown procedures cannot be publicly disclosed in detail...they differ in certain key respects from the searches conducted at Guantanamo," Himmelfarb wrote. "I regret any confusion my statements may have caused."
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:38 pm

Wow! I wonder who got to him and made him "clarify" his statement. Sounds to me like some of the horror stories that have been posted here about the "private room" search upon a (false) positive ETD alarm.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't it interesting that the TSA gropings are now used as the standard upon which other intrusive government searches are measured?

Worse yet, WE allowed it to happen.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Isn't it interesting that the TSA gropings are now used as the standard upon which other intrusive government searches are measured?

Worse yet, WE allowed it to happen.
I dissagree. WE HAD NO CHOICE IN THE MATTER. The government forced these "enhanced" screening procedures down our throats; we didn't allow anything of the sort.

I will never go into one of those cursed Nude-o-Scope machines. I will always opt out. If their flawed EDT test comes up positive, I will never consent to one of their "private room" searches. If that means that I am denied access to the fairy fartland they call the "sterile area," so be it. I will take names and sue everyone involved, personally and in their capacities.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The DOJ attorneys acknowledge that the TSA touches passengers' genitals/genital area.

They told the truth.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Uncle Sam wants you... to sit on his lap and play with his whiskers.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
Wow! I wonder who got to him and made him "clarify" his statement. Sounds to me like some of the horror stories that have been posted here about the "private room" search upon a (false) positive ETD alarm.
Heck with the private room search/"resolution" grope - we heard from many males that TSA screeners were cupping their testicles during the "enhanced" grope. I will admit that we have not heard that recently, however.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:52 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
They told the truth.
Yes.

And then they turned around and wrote a letter to the Court saying that they let the truth slip out by accident and really TSA doesn't treat every passenger like a GTMO detainee.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ari
Yes.

And then they turned around and wrote a letter to the Court saying that they let the truth slip out by accident and really TSA doesn't treat every passenger like a GTMO detainee.
That is true too. The TSA can't do everything that other parts of the government have done or do to GTMO detainees. Force-feeding of detainees, for example -- some of which have been seen by current DOJ attorneys on FT. It isn't a pretty sight.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
That is true too. The TSA can't do everything that other parts of the government have done or do to GTMO detainees. Force-feeding of detainees, for example -- some of which have been seen by current DOJ attorneys on FT. It isn't a pretty sight.
Neither is UA's BOB.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:52 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA does electronically what GTMO does in person.

(And I'm not talking about physical searches).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.