Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Feds disrupt suicide bomb plot at Wichita airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feds disrupt suicide bomb plot at Wichita airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VelvetJones
BTW, for the people asking why airport workers aren't screened, think about it for a second. Unlike TSA fantasy land, most workers need prohibited items to do their job.
Most of those "prohibited" items do not represent an actual threat to any flight.

A 5" wrench is acceptable, while a 7" wrench is not, but a 14" aluminum knitting needle is acceptable.

Ridiculous.

But if they're carrying in a chunk of C4, or carrying out an iPad stolen from a passenger, that should be relatively easy to spot, no?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
I can't believe I am actually defending the TSA, but having done a stint with a client at an airport recently and being badged at that airport, they do have TSA doing checks at the doors where employees have access to the secured area. Granted, it didn't include even a metal detector but hands were swabbed and backpacks/purses/etc were all checked.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Any prohibited items such as certain tools or such can be brought in under controlled circumstances, inventoried, and accounted for each and every day by the persons superiors. There is no reason for those things to go in and out each day.
What I mean is there's no point in screening a mechanic for sharps when he has access to a full set of sharps once he's on the tarmac anyway.

There's no point in screening a fuel truck driver for explosives because when he gets to the tarmac he's driving a FUEL TRUCK.

There's no point in screening luggage handlers because they have access to whatever might be in checked baggage.

...and on and on.

You need to catch these people upstream.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The FBI disrupted the FBI's own plot for which the FBI found a "useful idiot" and supplied the "goods". According to the tapped/recorded communications, Team FBI had to motivate him too.

Amazing.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ari
Usually these "non-entrapment" cases are FBI/JTTF, but maybe this one is HSI.
FBI.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
I can't believe I am actually defending the TSA, but having done a stint with a client at an airport recently and being badged at that airport, they do have TSA doing checks at the doors where employees have access to the secured area. Granted, it didn't include even a metal detector but hands were swabbed and backpacks/purses/etc were all checked.
That is odd. My Dad worked at a major airport for 15 years, five of those years post 9/11. The people that actually worked for the airport authority came in via entrances that the TSA didn't even have access to. I guess in theory they could have tried to checked them when they entered the sterile area, but it would have been pointless. One, there were doors all over the place. These were key card access only. They would have needed dozens of TSOs just to cover all of the doors. Second, these same employees had access to the external secured areas, so they could just as easily sneak something on to a plane via the food service or clean crews.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by gglave
What I mean is there's no point in screening a mechanic for sharps when he has access to a full set of sharps once he's on the tarmac anyway.

There's no point in screening a fuel truck driver for explosives because when he gets to the tarmac he's driving a FUEL TRUCK.

There's no point in screening luggage handlers because they have access to whatever might be in checked baggage.

...and on and on.

You need to catch these people upstream.
Nothing is foolproof, especially with fools in charge of security.

But in screening employees, some might ask why an "avionics technician" has explosives (this case). Or (hypothetical) why someone who works at the airside newspaper shop is bringing in a hunting knife. Or (hypothetical) why the janitor is bringing in three loaded handguns. Any of those are currently possible if airport staff bypass screening.

And while there are tools and knives in workshops and kitchens in the (hilariously named) "sterile" side, by and large you would expect them to stay airside. (As Boggie Dog suggested upthread , they should be inventoried and accounted for.) So one should probably ask why an aircraft maintenance person or restaurant owner is bringing other tools or knives back and forth. (Maybe she has a good reason. But it's unusual and should be questioned.)

Screening airport staff is only going to catch the stupid terrorists. But screening passengers is only designed to catch the stupid ones, too.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Nothing is foolproof, especially with fools in charge of security.

Screening airport staff is only going to catch the stupid terrorists. But screening passengers is only designed to catch the stupid ones, too.
Didn't Kippie admit at one time that the only terrorists the TSA was going to catch were the stupid ones?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Any prohibited items such as certain tools or such can be brought in under controlled circumstances, inventoried, and accounted for each and every day by the persons superiors. There is no reason for those things to go in and out each day.
Not only that, they could establish a tool crib where they could check out tools as needed, particularly items that would be prohibited through the CP. I work in a lot of industrial facilities and this is a very common method of tool control.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The FBI disrupted the FBI's own plot for which the FBI found a "useful idiot" and supplied the "goods". According to the tapped/recorded communications, Team FBI had to motivate him too.

Amazing.
It's like the California "deputy" (he doesn't deserve that title) that asked an autistic kid SIXTY times to buy him some pot before the kid finally acquiesced and they arrested the kid. Not saying it's quite the same but it sounds too close for comfort.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:02 pm

The conservative propaganda in this thread is amusing.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Didn't Kippie admit at one time that the only terrorists the TSA was going to catch were the stupid ones?
Yes; I don't have the link right now, but that was the gist of it.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ANTIverson
The conservative propaganda in this thread is amusing.
It comes from the government.

Originally Posted by RadioGirl

But in screening employees, some might ask why an "avionics technician" has explosives (this).
.... because the FBI supplied what the FBI wanted to supply its "useful idiot".
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Not only that, they could establish a tool crib where they could check out tools as needed, particularly items that would be prohibited through the CP. I work in a lot of industrial facilities and this is a very common method of tool control.
A tool crib doesn't work very well if you don't control it - ie, adequate tracking of who checks a tool out and immediate consequences if the tool isn't returned/otherwise accounted for (and verified).
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JackE
He was stopped by the feds. Do you know that TSA was not involved in stopping him?
Blogdad Bob would have had this all over Propaganda Village if the TSA had even been copied on some of the email traffic. The TSA website would have had an official Spokeshole statement. The silence is evidence enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.