Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Today Op Ed Column: "Abolish The TSA"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Spiff and others propose that security be turned over to the airlines, with airlines making the sole determination on the security standards to be used, and passengers being free to use the security standards of the various airlines as one criterion (among many) in choosing who to fly. Thus, customers would have a "say" in airline security standards by using the power of their wallets. Non-customers would have no say at all.

So I think there is a difference. But, at this point, I'll admit that it's splitting hairs.
Yes, you are. Check out asteroid insurance policies and how few are sold.

Bottom line: non-passengers are not stakeholders and should have no say in airline/airport security. Neither should the government.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spiff and others propose that security be turned over to the airlines, with airlines making the sole determination on the security standards to be used, and passengers being free to use the security standards of the various airlines as one criterion (among many) in choosing who to fly. Thus, customers would have a "say" in airline security standards by using the power of their wallets. Non-customers would have no say at all.

So I think there is a difference. But, at this point, I'll admit that it's splitting hairs.
Who are non-customers?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In principle, customers and non-customers alike have the same say in the current system: the right to petition the federal government for a redress of grievances, and the right to vote for a change in those running the federal government if those petitions are denied.

Yes, in the current system, all of those rights amount to pretty much nothing when it comes to the TSA. But at least those rights are there in principle.
Rights that are available in principle but not available in fact are useless. Sort of like TSA as a whole.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Who are non-customers?
The people working in the building that gets destroyed by the plane that crashes into it after being taken over by terrorists who subvert the airline's security procedures?

Spiff's point (if I'm reading him correctly) is that the decision regarding what security procedures will be deployed in an airport is a matter for the airlines and their fare-paying customers to decide, and that nobody else should have a say in it. My point is that this decision does have the potential to affect others who aren't direct parties to that commercial transaction.

Spiff will tell me in return to go buy asteroid insurance . In a very limited sense, I agree; we're talking about events that are extremely unlikely to occur in either case ... and splitting that hair may not be worth it.

But, hey, this is the Internet, and we have to argue about everything, so ...
Old Dec 4, 2013, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Spiff
Indeed. However, airlines have a vested interest in their planes not falling out of the sky, so I am 100% ok leaving the procedures for security up to them and not the federal government.
Indeed! ^
Old Dec 4, 2013, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The people working in the building that gets destroyed by the plane that crashes into it after being taken over by terrorists who subvert the airline's security procedures?

Spiff's point (if I'm reading him correctly) is that the decision regarding what security procedures will be deployed in an airport is a matter for the airlines and their fare-paying customers to decide, and that nobody else should have a say in it. My point is that this decision does have the potential to affect others who aren't direct parties to that commercial transaction.

Spiff will tell me in return to go buy asteroid insurance . In a very limited sense, I agree; we're talking about events that are extremely unlikely to occur in either case ... and splitting that hair may not be worth it.

But, hey, this is the Internet, and we have to argue about everything, so ...
Well, as you pointed out, there's always the ballot box (for non-paying and paying customers alike).

That's the same ballot box that currently offers 'protections' from things like railroad engineers nodding off at the switch or police directly or indirectly causing harm or death to innocent civilians when in hot pursuit.

The real losers would likely be folks like Chertoff and company that have come to depend on an endless stream of taxpayer-funded short-lived, constantly replaced costly security apparatus of dubious effectiveness. If airlines were in charge of security, I suspect they'd want a better ROI.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Well, as you pointed out, there's always the ballot box (for non-paying and paying customers alike).

That's the same ballot box that currently offers 'protections' from things like railroad engineers nodding off at the switch or police directly or indirectly causing harm or death to innocent civilians when in hot pursuit.
Spiff would claim there should be no government role in airline security at all; I respectfully disagree.

Originally Posted by chollie
The real losers would likely be folks like Chertoff and company that have come to depend on an endless stream of taxpayer-funded short-lived, constantly replaced costly security apparatus of dubious effectiveness. If airlines were in charge of security, I suspect they'd want a better ROI.
The problem is that it's incredibly hard to measure ROI, when (a) the event you're defending against is extraordinarily rare, and (b) people are notoriously bad at judging risk when it involves air travel and/or safety concerns. I agree that a ROI analysis for security is desperately needed; I'm honestly uncertain whether the private sector would do it better (or, perhaps, less badly) than the public sector.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spiff would claim there should be no government role in airline security at all; I respectfully disagree.

The problem is that it's incredibly hard to measure ROI, when (a) the event you're defending against is extraordinarily rare, and (b) people are notoriously bad at judging risk when it involves air travel and/or safety concerns. I agree that a ROI analysis for security is desperately needed; I'm honestly uncertain whether the private sector would do it better (or, perhaps, less badly) than the public sector.
Less badly would still be better than what TSA is doing now.

TSA refuses to acknowledge studies demonstrating zero ROI, i.e., the GAO report on the useless TSA BDO program.

TSA refuses to demonstrate effectiveness of security protocals such as restrictions on LGA's. I see no reason to just accept claims of an agency that uses deceit as a standard SOP tool.

In my opinion TSA is worse than useless. TSA and its employees are not trustworthy, provides inferior security screenings on its best day, and gives little ROI for our tax dollars.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA and its employees are not trustworthy, provides inferior security screenings on its best day, and gives little ROI for our tax dollars.
Negative.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
The writer is a libertarian conservative law professor and blogger...

Abolish the TSA: Column

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...olumn/3796127/

I wish just one of these "abolish TSA", etc. editorials would come out and FIRST state that airport security had no role in allowing 9/11 to happen, and THEN talk about all of TSA's shortcomings.

Otherwise all you get are an endless stream of clueless individuals defending TSA because they don't want "another 9/11", or propagating the falsehood that private security allowed knives to be sneaked or smuggled through because of their incompetence. End result is that rational debate gets drowned out by these clueless rantings.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Spiff
Rights ignored are no longer Rights. It's time to remove to federal government from this equation completely.
I think I agree with you. They won't be last longer. TSA will be gone soon. I can't bear watch it anymore! Those passengers are complaining about bodyscanners. They don't want go through the scanner. Those passengers had it right to kept the privacy. They don't want to see a naked. BKSX is unsafe. BKSX is a cancer machine. That's why they removed all BKSX out of airport completely. MMW is a right choice, but there is no cancer machine.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Congress won't shut down the TSA; rather they will assist it in its funding demands.

The airlines and airports aren't eager to pick up where they left off in handling security before the "federalize to professionalize" mantra and TSA came to the scene (after 9/11).

Rather unfortunate that we're stuck with this gargantuan TSA also for years to come.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Congress won't shut down the TSA; rather they will assist it in its funding demands.

The airlines and airports aren't eager to pick up where they left off in handling security before the "federalize to professionalize" mantra and TSA came to the scene (after 9/11).

Rather unfortunate that we're stuck with this gargantuan TSA also for years to come.
TSA is here to stay.

But TSA is desperately trying to improve its image -- look at Pre-Check. They just need to get the "elites" and influencers through the lines with no pain and the chorus (of relevants) calling for the demise of TSA declines.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:24 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by AArlington
TSA is here to stay.
Don't give up hope. We will rid our airports of this disgusting, un-American disease of an agency!
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by AArlington
TSA is here to stay.

But TSA is desperately trying to improve its image -- look at Pre-Check. They just need to get the "elites" and influencers through the lines with no pain and the chorus (of relevants) calling for the demise of TSA declines.
I feel a little guilty going through Pre-check for that very reason. I think of family and friends who don't have the same privileges bestowed on them by a generous government body.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.