Should TSA agents be armed?

Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that would be more stupid than arming pilots. everybody should carry. remember deadwood?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:38 am

Should TSA agents be armed?

Unless you have been in the armed service, you have NO idea the amount of red tape that comes along with putting weapons in people's hands. Not only is there training, maintenance, proficiency and other requirements and expenses, but you can't just give your gun to the next person on duty. There is a whole turnover process that has to be supervised.

In the navy, the on watch person would have to place the muzzle in this large can thing (incase of an accidental discharge) then the supervisor would read a step by step procedure about how to transfer the belt and holster, remove the magazine, eject the chambered round (using a special catch tool, of course, to prevent loss of the ejected round which also probably cost the nave $1000 to buy) and ultimately transfer the weapon. Huge PITA!
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:04 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by PTravel
Hell, no.
Redux on both words!!!
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Given the 2 TSA agents whom I have known personally and the duties/responsibilities/displayed levels of cognizance of TSA agents whom I have encountered in the last 12(?) years.....NO!

Generally speaking, I'd be far more comfortable providing straight razors to 14 year old girls.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
No. TSA agents are not LEOs, they have no arrest authority and are not authorized to use force.

Most airports have an airport division or at the very least have a LEO on site. Station a LEO at each checkpoint or give each TSA agent an alarm button that would alert the LEO to a problem.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what's a LEO?

i can recall heavily armed military in bygone times at muc,fra. fco.mxp. each person had an automatic weapon, and a big dog. the soldiers looked like kids to me, under 20 years old. probably were under 20. lots of armed military in cairo airport and all through the central american airports.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
LEO=law enforcement officer.

TSA screening clerks in the main are not LEOs; nor should they be IMO.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Not by the hair of my chinny, chin, chin.

Should workers at McDonald's be given weapons?

Should school bus drivers be given guns?

Postal workers?

All of these have had assaults, murders and other stuff happen in the work place. I know of no way to totally eliminate violence in any of these locales. Arming workers would only lead to more killings, in my opinion.

Heck, I'd even go so far as to say that half the police officers who have guns now, might be better without them.

^^

Having more TSA employees armed is unnecessary and counterproductive. They should focus on contraband WEI interdiction and stop with the rest of the useless dog and pony show that wastes resources.

There are enough armed LEOs, especially at LAX which has a very large airport police force -- some say it is the largest in the country.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gustav316
Unless you have been in the armed service, you have NO idea the amount of red tape that comes along with putting weapons in people's hands. Not only is there training, maintenance, proficiency and other requirements and expenses, but you can't just give your gun to the next person on duty. There is a whole turnover process that has to be supervised.

In the navy, the on watch person would have to place the muzzle in this large can thing (incase of an accidental discharge) then the supervisor would read a step by step procedure about how to transfer the belt and holster, remove the magazine, eject the chambered round (using a special catch tool, of course, to prevent loss of the ejected round which also probably cost the nave $1000 to buy) and ultimately transfer the weapon. Huge PITA!
but quite surprisingly, very few navy guys shoot other navy guys. i have also noticed that a very high percentage of the marines stationed at the barracks in southwest dc are now carrying sidearms(over a hundred of them) i doubt they go through that exerise you have described when they hang up their gun. i do not often have an opportunity to talk to one of those guys.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gustav316

The flip side of that is if there is greater scrutiny and training for armed personnel, the general quality of the TSA might go up, and you'll get less of those surly but useless morons who could'nt get any other job sign up for the TSA...

But yeah, that will never happen. The expense and bureaucracy involved is too great...
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Airline_Brat
+3. I would feel a whole lot less safe.
+1000

I'm scared enough and I really don't need to be groped by someone with a gun
Old Nov 3, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Most TSA's officers carry too much weight now,
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I would feel very threatened if TSA agents were armed.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:31 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
NFW!

(No Freakin' Way)

TSA employees should be removed from our airports and TSA dismantled, rendering the original question moot.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Just because one or two people got killed it doesn't mean you should arm many thousands "officers". You either make a national gun control reform (never gonna happen, too many idiots and no bold politicians who are willing to take a stand, unlike in Australia), or you face the risk of this happening again, which is not greater than getting killed in road traffic.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
The flip side of that is if there is greater scrutiny and training for armed personnel, the general quality of the TSA might go up, and you'll get less of those surly but useless morons who could'nt get any other job sign up for the TSA...

But yeah, that will never happen. The expense and bureaucracy involved is too great...
(bolding mine)

I'd like to see some evidence. It doesn't appear to be playing out that way with police across the country, particularly the full-on SWAT teams serving warrants for non-violent offenders at the wrong addresses at 0200 or firing on two women delivering papers in a car that didn't even fit the description of the offender's vehicle (wrong color, make, no plate check before firing). Plenty of scrutiny and training, little or no accountability, more mistakes and innocent people killed.

No thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.