Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

USA Today: Phoenix airport screening draws angry complaints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Today: Phoenix airport screening draws angry complaints

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
In most cases a passenger with a prohibited item is given the opportunity to chrck the item, give to someone, return it to their vehicle, or other such options.

Why isn't this the case with weapons?

In regards to PHX I think all that was being asked was your opinion on what proper redress should be based on information publically available.

I would assume that TSA has policies in place for screenings that don't fit the cookie cutter format. Was policy followed in this case and if not should people not be held accountable?
Weapons like firearms and explosives are covered by a different set of laws and regulations than say a pocket knife. As the objects capable of doing the most damage in an aviation setting, the introduction of more complex or stringent laws makes some sense.

I have already given you the best answer I can on PHX, the situation should have been handled different, and there should have been proper redress given to the employees - the range of redress available to TSA runs from speaking to the individual, all the way to termination and cooperation on prosecution. What would be defined as proper redress would be determined at a higher level than I am, and would have much more information than I have.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
I was in a local chain pizza place in Massachusetts that advertised some lunch specials in five minutes or less or it's free. Mine was presented in nine minutes on a non-busy day due to clerk incompetence. I called the manager over, showed him the proof on my receipt and the clock, and he got huffy and asked: "What are you doing?!? TIMING us?!?"

Why, yes I was. You invited me to.

TSA claims to treat us with dignity, respect, and courtesy. If they could only consistently deliver that, there would be no issue.
I can't argue with what you have said. All passengers should be treated with professionalism and courtesy as a minimum - no exceptions.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Weapons like firearms and explosives are covered by a different set of laws and regulations than say a pocket knife. As the objects capable of doing the most damage in an aviation setting, the introduction of more complex or stringent laws makes some sense.

I have already given you the best answer I can on PHX, the situation should have been handled different, and there should have been proper redress given to the employees - the range of redress available to TSA runs from speaking to the individual, all the way to termination and cooperation on prosecution. What would be defined as proper redress would be determined at a higher level than I am, and would have much more information than I have.
What laws?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:56 am

What laws?
A basic overview of transport laws can be found here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf

It includes the transport USC, and some other reference links.

There is currently some confusion in the public and questions/court proceedings regarding the carry of firearms in NY/NJ area as covered here:

http://cliffviewpilot.com/us-court-s...ort-terminals/

There are also some regulations that cover it, but they are essentially restating the existing laws on the books.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
A basic overview of transport laws can be found here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf

It includes the transport USC, and some other reference links.

There is currently some confusion in the public and questions/court proceedings regarding the carry of firearms in NY/NJ area as covered here:

http://cliffviewpilot.com/us-court-s...ort-terminals/

There are also some regulations that cover it, but they are essentially restating the existing laws on the books.
I don't think your references explain why a person with weapon is treated differenly than if it was some other type of prohibited item.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:25 pm

I don't think your references explain why a person with weapon is treated differently than if it was some other type of prohibited item.
I think the problem is the distinction between an item being "prohibited by TSA" and "prohibited by law".

If I bring my supersized bottle of shampoo to a checkpoint, I've violated TSA policy, but I've not broken any laws. If I bring my registered handgun to a checkpoint, not only have I violated TSA policy, I may have violated a law in my jurisdiction. (In my state, attempting to bring a firearm into the sterile area of the airport is a felony.)

TSA's observed policy has been that TSOs, being federal employees, are obligated to report to local law enforcement any violation of law they may observe. That's why TSOs report any suspected illegal drugs they find to LEOs, even though there's nothing in TSA rules that bars someone from having a couple of kilos of wacky weed aboard an aircraft.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I think the problem is the distinction between an item being "prohibited by TSA" and "prohibited by law".

If I bring my supersized bottle of shampoo to a checkpoint, I've violated TSA policy, but I've not broken any laws. If I bring my registered handgun to a checkpoint, not only have I violated TSA policy, I may have violated a law in my jurisdiction. (In my state, attempting to bring a firearm into the sterile area of the airport is a felony.)

TSA's observed policy has been that TSOs, being federal employees, are obligated to report to local law enforcement any violation of law they may observe. That's why TSOs report any suspected illegal drugs they find to LEOs, even though there's nothing in TSA rules that bars someone from having a couple of kilos of wacky weed aboard an aircraft.
The question "what law" stands. Surely a person enforcing this policy understands why they are doing so.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Surely a person enforcing this policy understands why they are doing so.
That's not a safe bet, especially if the person(s) "enforcing" the policy has/have been known to pluck "policies" from their nethers and offer them unwashed to the public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.