FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   USA Today: Phoenix airport screening draws angry complaints (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1511601-usa-today-phoenix-airport-screening-draws-angry-complaints.html)

Schmurrr Oct 12, 2013 9:18 pm

USA Today: Phoenix airport screening draws angry complaints

USA Today posted an article today about TSA abuses of travelers in Phoenix.

Jezebel picked up the story but used a title that focuses on TSA making an 82-year old remove her breast prostheses.

goalie Oct 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Disgusting :mad: tho not surprised as the TSO's at PHX imho, are just one small step above those at EWR

chollie Oct 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Schmurrr (Post 21598430)
USA Today posted an article today about TSA abuses of travelers in Phoenix.

Jezebel picked up the story but used a title that focuses on TSA making an 82-year old remove her breast prostheses.

PHX has been a badly managed airport for some time now - baggage thefts that didn't get investigated, constant complaints about TSOs and women, particularly women with breast implants - anything breast-related, actually. Remember Stacy Amato? That included misconduct by a manager. Yukio Miyamae? Just showed that you do not want to call the cops at PHX - if anything, they're like bad TSOs on steroids.

I've personally had very bad experiences at T2. The minute I explain that I'm physically unable to assume and hold the position in the NoS, it's the same thing every time: I get told VERY LOUDLY that I am an OPT OUT and off I go to wait for the roughest gropes I ever get anywhere, consistently.

That said, there's something odd in the reporting. There's mention of an older gentleman getting groin-chopped with a wand. IIRC, all wands were (unfortunately) eliminated (taxpayers are probably paying high-priced storage in some politician's friend's warehouse somewhere -or they were sold for pennies on the dollar). I don't doubt he got groin-chopped, but I'd be surprised if it was with a wand.

gsoltso Oct 13, 2013 2:46 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 21598533)
PHX has been a badly managed airport for some time now - baggage thefts that didn't get investigated, constant complaints about TSOs and women, particularly women with breast implants - anything breast-related, actually. Remember Stacy Amato? That included misconduct by a manager. Yukio Miyamae? Just showed that you do not want to call the cops at PHX - if anything, they're like bad TSOs on steroids.

I've personally had very bad experiences at T2. The minute I explain that I'm physically unable to assume and hold the position in the NoS, it's the same thing every time: I get told VERY LOUDLY that I am an OPT OUT and off I go to wait for the roughest gropes I ever get anywhere, consistently.

That said, there's something odd in the reporting. There's mention of an older gentleman getting groin-chopped with a wand. IIRC, all wands were (unfortunately) eliminated (taxpayers are probably paying high-priced storage in some politician's friend's warehouse somewhere -or they were sold for pennies on the dollar). I don't doubt he got groin-chopped, but I'd be surprised if it was with a wand.

I noticed the groin struck with a wand story too. Wands have not been part of the norm for quite a while now. Something about the article (or at least some of the info included in it) is not quite right, almost like they are simply tossing stories against the wall to see what sticks - NOT saying that is necessarily the case, but I haven't even heard of a wand being used for years now.:confused:

Boggie Dog Oct 13, 2013 6:22 am

Originally Posted by gsoltso (Post 21599172)
I noticed the groin struck with a wand story too. Wands have not been part of the norm for quite a while now. Something about the article (or at least some of the info included in it) is not quite right, almost like they are simply tossing stories against the wall to see what sticks - NOT saying that is necessarily the case, but I haven't even heard of a wand being used for years now.:confused:

The problem remains that people are being abused by TSA screeners and TSA does nothing about complaints.

TSA is a bigger threat than terrorist to travelers.

Tom M. Oct 13, 2013 7:22 am

Originally Posted by gsoltso (Post 21599172)
...almost like they are simply tossing stories against the wall to see what sticks -...

The above describes the "techniques" the TSA utilizes....

petaluma1 Oct 13, 2013 7:32 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 21598533)

Actually, the article says:

A man with an enlarged prostate, returning from a recent exam, complained a TSA agent hit him in the genitals with the metal detector.
It could be that the "reporter" got the story mixed up and that the man got chopped after setting off the WTMD.

petaluma1 Oct 13, 2013 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 21599710)
The problem remains that people are being abused by TSA screeners and TSA does nothing about complaints.

TSA is a bigger threat than terrorist to travelers.

Originally Posted by Tom M. (Post 21599874)
The above describes the "techniques" the TSA utilizes....

^^ to both responses

Caradoc Oct 13, 2013 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Schmurrr (Post 21598430)

From the comments section on the Jezebel link:

Also, TSA cow who insisted on safety-checking my then 9-year-old daughter's purse by forcibly crumbling an open baggie of three cookies meant as an in-flight treat - right into the entire little girl purse, directly into the camera she'd just gotten for her birthday, and into her book - Thank you for demonstrating your patriotic enthusiasm by protecting us all from the 9-year-old cookie toting baddies.
That sounds exactly like the modern TSA we've all come to know and despise.

chollie Oct 13, 2013 11:46 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1 (Post 21599913)
Actually, the article says:

It could be that the "reporter" got the story mixed up and that the man got chopped after setting off the WTMD.

You're right, of course. I also noted (more sloppy reporting?) the reference to the metal detector alarming on the woman's breast area. ??? The WTMD doesn't alarm on specific areas (well, it does, but the operator doesn't have any way of knowing which area(s)), the wands aren't in use. The NoS will certainly 'alarm' on a breast, however.

chollie Oct 13, 2013 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Caradoc (Post 21600182)
From the comments section on the Jezebel link:

That sounds exactly like the modern TSA we've all come to know and despise.

Not all TSOs, for sure, but far too many of them. I wonder how many of her co-workers have stood by and watched her do this stuff and never said a word? They are equally complicit, even if they like to kid themselves that they are not.

Boggie Dog Oct 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 21600887)
Not all TSOs, for sure, but far too many of them. I wonder how many of her co-workers have stood by and watched her do this stuff and never said a word? They are equally complicit, even if they like to kid themselves that they are not.

Your statement sums up a large part of what is wrong with TSA and its employees. Management never finds fault with employee actions and employees standing beside rouge screeners seem to turn away and do nothing.

If TSA was truly a professional organization we wouldn't keep hearing about screening abuses. I think TSA screeners see themselves more like prison guards. Of course if a screener did some of the things we hear about to a prisoner they would be walked out that day, prisoners have more rights than travelers trying to get through TSA Security Theater.

chollie Oct 13, 2013 1:20 pm

I generally expect very little from management, TSA or anywhere else -unless it's directly tied to their personal compensation.

Behind every abusive TSO, there are layers of AWOL or complicit management backing his/her every action.
If an LTSO, STSO or manager says "I wasn't aware", they are either lying or they weren't doing their job properly. Either way, they're directly responsible.

Alongside every abusive TSO, there are many many other TSOs, backing and encouraging his/her actions. If they don't "see something, say something", then they are just as responsible. Don't pull the old "It wasn't me, I just stood by and snickered and said nothing" excuse.

Boggie Dog Oct 13, 2013 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 21601253)
I generally expect very little from management, TSA or anywhere else -unless it's directly tied to their personal compensation.

Behind every abusive TSO, there are layers of AWOL or complicit management backing his/her every action.
If an LTSO, STSO or manager says "I wasn't aware", they are either lying or they weren't doing their job properly. Either way, they're directly responsible.

Alongside every abusive TSO, there are many many other TSOs, backing and encouraging his/her actions. If they don't "see something, say something", then they are just as responsible. Don't pull the old "It wasn't me, I just stood by and snickered and said nothing" excuse.

TSA employees from Pistole down to the last hired clerk are well paid and have fairly easy tasking. If they're going to take taxpayer monies then I think we should not only expect but demand proper and honest performance of their jobs.

Foul up and go to jail!

WillCAD Oct 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 21601253)

I don't think that's the problem.

I think the problem is that TSOs, like almost any profession, have a sense of brotherhood that creates a sense of loyalty which undermines other ethical and moral codes. In other words, TSOs have created their own version of the Blue Wall of Silence. They don't just cover for each other when they see one of Their Own breaking the rules, or the law, or being just plain mean to innocent people, they rationalize and justify the behavior. "This job is SOOOOOOOO hard, that behavior is perfectly understandable (or even acceptable)." They don't even rationalize it with the AFS mentality; they'd rationalize misbehavior if they were bus drivers, simply because they identify with their fellows.

The root cause is simple: those who are tasked with upholding laws or enforcing regulations inevitably begin to believe themselves above the laws or regulations they're tasked with upholding. I suppose it's probably human nature, but like so many parts of human nature, it's unbelievably frustrating when you're on the wrong side of it.