Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Kip says: change the airport mindset, leave shoes on...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kip says: change the airport mindset, leave shoes on...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Isn't he the guy who thought up most of the current nonsense to begin with? I mean, except scope and grope, he predates that particular nonsense.
But now he has to fly commercial and dealing with the mess he created so sleeping in the bed he made isn't too his liking I suppose.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Y'know, Hitler and the Nazis did a LOT more than just the Holocaust. People seem to think that Nazi Germany was a beautiful, happy, peaceful, totally free place to live except for the Jews, Gypsies, and homosexuals who were rounded up and exterminated, but in truth, it was a brutal, fearful, repressive police state where the Gestapo and the SS had most of the population afraid of their own government, and anyone who spoke out against anything they did was labeled an enemy of the state and subject to arrest, interrogation, imprisonment, torture, and death.

I don't want to minimize the Holocaust, because it was undoubtedly the most evil thing the Nazis did, but it wasn't the ONLY evil thing they did. And without all of those OTHER evils, the Holocaust couldn't have happened.
It's a fair point, to be sure, but a lot of other totalitarian governments have put that same fear into their populations, but no one ever says, for example, "the TSA is like a bunch of jacked-up Ceaușescus*". In my mind, it's just a lazy analog - and one that's made far too often, and usually without merit.

To get back on topic (and keep from the thread getting locked) - it's all well and good for Kip to come out now and say all these things about what the TSA *should* do, but trying to walk back 11 years of insanity isn't going to be easy. PreCheck is a start, but until either science or public outrage moves TSA to mothball the scanners and realize that we're not all the old woman from "From Russia With Love", we've got a long road back to 9/10/01-type security.

*Romania. Look it up.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Critic
It's a fair point, to be sure, but a lot of other totalitarian governments have put that same fear into their populations, but no one ever says, for example, "the TSA is like a bunch of jacked-up Ceaușescus*". In my mind, it's just a lazy analog - and one that's made far too often, and usually without merit.

To get back on topic (and keep from the thread getting locked) - it's all well and good for Kip to come out now and say all these things about what the TSA *should* do, but trying to walk back 11 years of insanity isn't going to be easy. PreCheck is a start, but until either science or public outrage moves TSA to mothball the scanners and realize that we're not all the old woman from "From Russia With Love", we've got a long road back to 9/10/01-type security.

*Romania. Look it up.
** I remember that SOB. Never knew how to spell his name, but I remember him, may he rot in pieces.

Here on FT, we also equate TSA with the Stassi and the KGB quite often. But it's not laziness; it's simply that the evil repressors of Nazi Germany and the former Soviet bloc are the ones most familiar to Americans, and they spring to mind most readily when we look at some of the outrageous violations of individual rights and personal liberty that have been perpetrated upon us. We also sometimes refer to the government of HRH George III, whose violations of Colonial rights eventually led to the American Revolution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.