Search

"I'm 87 years old!"

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2013, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bruceba
Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Agreed. Totally.

My mom is that age and I am damn sure this would have gone down differently if it involved her.
I would have been the subject of the 5 pm. news if this was my mother.
No way I would let anybody shout at her in what you describe.
You should have done better!
Why don't you hold us spellbound with tales of your heroic exploits? I'm sure there are many.
Old May 21, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by OldGoat
Why don't you hold us spellbound with tales of your heroic exploits? I'm sure there are many.
You dropped the ball. You have to live with it. If I did nothing about what happened I would be Spellbound.
Old May 21, 2013, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bruceba
You dropped the ball. You have to live with it. If I did nothing about what happened I would be Spellbound.
When you do have an act of checkpoint bravery, post it here for all to see!
Old May 21, 2013, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
A strategist chooses the battlefield that yields maximum advantage.
I'm sure your mother appreciates being collateral loss not worth the effort to save.
Old May 21, 2013, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I'm sure your mother appreciates being collateral loss not worth the effort to save.
You assume that the battle is over, and that OP's mother is a "collateral loss" I submit that the real battle may not have begun yet ...
Old May 21, 2013, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Thanks for your concern. She's still here, and none the worse for wear. When she shouted back about being 87, she was pushing back as only she can do.

This story isn't about harm she suffered; she's fine. It's about the harm the TSA tried to inflict.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:07 pm

For what it's worth. I think the emotions are running high in this thread simply because this type of story DOES get the blood boiling just a tad.

Apologies if I contributed to the heat. Correction... My apology for contributing to the heat.

PAX (in the old sense of the term)
Old May 21, 2013, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Thumbs down

When you do have an act of checkpoint bravery, post it here for all to see!
Wait wait wait... so you say you "prepared" for the TSA encounter, then you watch and allow this TS"O" make your own 87-year-old mother take off her shoes, then you come here to post about it, and then you decide to get all snarky and Sun Tzu-esque on everyone?

IMO, I found your non-action deplorable. Had that been my mother, you can be damn sure she would not have taken off her shoes.

Why even post here if you didn't want honest opinions? Not ready for the criticism from submitting a public post?

No cookie for you.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Indeed. You would do neither yourself or your mother any favors by getting into a shouting match or worse at the airport.

I suggest forwarding details to your federal legislative representatives and to media outlets, elderly advocate organizations, etc.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Can we all take a moment to stop and relax? I know this type of situation gets everyone upset, as it should. However, at the end of the day, the OP needs to balance making a statement with protecting his family at that immediate point. The OP helps no one by shouting back at the TSA employees, or doing worse, at that time.

It's very easy to sit behind a keyboard and rail about what you'd do, or how the situation would be different if you were involved, but these situations require immediate action when one's emotions are heightened, which makes it more difficult to react in a manner that will:
  • Resolve the situation in a positive manner
  • Avoid missing flights
  • Allow you to remain calm and polite, so they have no leverage

I think GUWonder's post sums it up well.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Indeed. You would do neither yourself or your mother any favors by getting into a shouting match or worse at the airport.

I suggest forwarding details to your federal legislative representatives and to media outlets, elderly advocate organizations, etc.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
Can we all take a moment to stop and relax?
  • Allow you to remain calm and polite, so they have no leverage
Shouting vs. being assertive are two different things. OP did neither.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:48 pm

My mom is 85 and diabetic. Because of that she carries insulin, glucose
tablets and the nutritional drink called "Boost".

I advised her to tell them those items were medical necessities which
they truly are given her diabetes.

The TSA told her the bottles of Boost were not allowed. She simply said
she was diabetic and they were a medical necessity. TSA stood aside. :-)
Old May 21, 2013, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LAXative
Shouting vs. being assertive are two different things. OP did neither.
Why blame the victims and their loved-ones for a mess instigated by an assertive and offending TSA that is willing to escalate matters at the airport so as to hassle innocent people by making up stuff?
Old May 21, 2013, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Agree wholeheartedly! Sometimes it may be more practical, more effective, or just plain more self-satisfying to react and attempt to correct the situation at the airport, when it happens. When other family members are present, it may not be.

OIG, representatives, media, etc. is the proper course now.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: Underappreciated US CP, nobody status with everyone else.
TSA interactions I tend to set bar very low and have only had a couple experiences where I felt a need to escalate.
I immediately stop communication with the TSO and take out a paper and pen and write their name down, after screeening I'll discuss the situation with the supervisor and while doing so taking their name and notes (let's them know you are serious) I tell them I will be following up with the FSD and do so - it isn't an empty statement.
Its a lot of effort and it isn't for everyone but for me its something I feel is important to prevent abuse or overreach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.