Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Showing claim checks at LGA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:00 pm

Seems to me like most people here are missing the point of the original question.

Yes, we all understand why the OP was asked to produce his luggage receipts. Yes, we understand that the procedure is in place to try to reduce the incidence of lost/stolen luggage.

But the question was this: was the OP required to produce the information upon demand? By what authority? And upon whose demand?

After all ... if I buy myself a nice spiffy jacket and a shiny badge and walk into the LGA baggage claim area and start demanding that passengers produce the receipts for their bags, how is anyone suppose to know that I'm an @#$!hole just doing this for entertainment and not someone authorized to demand that information?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:34 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
OK, wearing a red coat and hanging at the airport for fun would mean your life really sucks - maybe it is preferable to living in a box over a subway vent but I can think of about a billion things I would rather do.

I remember LAS was one of the few airports that checked tags but stopped because it was cheaper to pay for 'lost' luggage than pay people to check it. I wish all airports did,it after having my,luggage stolen twice. It had scanned leaving the plane but I never saw it.

I would like it if all airports checked bag tags, it only takes about 10 seconds to check them - less time than one would spend filling out forms, looking for receipts and following up to get your stuff replaced.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Seems to me like most people here are missing the point of the original question.\

But the question was this: was the OP required to produce the information upon demand? By what authority? And upon whose demand?
Thank you. I did ask if I was required and that wasn't answered, so I kept moving.

My bag tags were buried somewhere in my carryon laptop bag. Didn't see the value in waiting in line to show someone that isn't an airline employee or a uniformed officer any sort of ID if I'm not required to do so.

Maybe if they had 10 people checking bag tags to make the process go faster - but I saw no purpose in sitting around waiting for my turn to leave with my property.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:41 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Travelsonic
To be fair, some of those people [not all, obviously] do go too far - how many times have you heard stories about the receipt checkers in stores acting like the request can be used as a demand/reason to detain? When you're not legally required to show a receipt at a store on your way out [though you may face consequences in the way of being / not being allowed back in that store]?
You have to show your receipt as Sam's Club and Costco - it is part of your membership agreement unless you want it to be terminated.

At other stores just ask if you are under arrest - legally it is your stuff, ownership changed at the point of purchase. They could detain you but without probable cause they will be liable for false imprisonment. The probable cause would have to be something besides not showing a receipt.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I can't stand these red coat morons at LGA either. They serve no purpose other than to create bottle necks leaving the baggage claim area. Only airport in the system where I've seen this asinine process in place.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by Travelsonic
To be fair, some of those people [not all, obviously] do go too far - how many times have you heard stories about the receipt checkers in stores acting like the request can be used as a demand/reason to detain? When you're not legally required to show a receipt at a store on your way out [though you may face consequences in the way of being / not being allowed back in that store]?
------------
Hate that, get it when I'm leaving Wal-Mart all the time.....annoying as most of the time the receipt is at the bottom of my purse or thrown into the one of six bags I'm lugging. Nevertheless, in relation to this incident, it's quite easy for thieves to steal bags....there have been many examples of thieves stealing bags off belts and just walking away, one was a husband/wife team that stole hundreds of bags over a long period of time (in Arizona) - when finally caught, the authorities found these bags in the perpetrators home. I understand the OP's frustration. Most passengers are in a hurry once they step foot off the airplane and short of going to a restroom they just want out of the airport if they are unfortunate enough to have to wait for their bag(s) at the claim.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Feb 21, 2013 at 10:08 pm
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
The outcome of this story underscores the pointlessness of it all.

You have a typical officious jerk in uniform who thinks everyone must obey his command... but in the end he is useless because if the OP was in fact a thief it's not like said officious jerk would have prevented him from walking off with the bag anyway.

That said, I have to wonder about the wisdom of placing luggage carousels in non-secure areas. Sometimes I would like to stop and have a bite to eat after disembarking, but I always feel the need to hurry up and collect my bags and not leave them circling around for an hour lest someone snatch them away. And inevitably when you leave the carousel you're pretty much on the curb, well away from the airport's amenities.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Maybe if they had 10 people checking bag tags to make the process go faster - but I saw no purpose in sitting around waiting for my turn to leave with my property.
Amen. And ^ to you for taking a stand.

I don't need nor want help preventing my bags from being stolen. I can solve for that problem myself by making sure that I am at the belt before the bags start coming and positioned so that I am the first person a bag must pass when it comes out of the spagetti monster.

Where did I learn this? From my Dad at LGA many years ago.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
There was a time when it was routine for someone to check your claim stub against your baggage tag when exiting baggage reclaim. I remember that happening in the early 1970's both before and after the Nixon Administration implemented screening checkpoints at airports.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
So you purposely antagonize someone doing their jobs because you can or to teach them a lesson in dealing with a-holes? real fun...
No. As long as they are polite and know their bounds, often times I'll consent. The more power they invent for themselves, or the more aggressive/hostile they act, the more I will hold my ground. Because at that point they've stopped doing their jobs, and I absolutely will take the opportunity to retrain them. Same way I deal with the TSA.

Last edited by javabytes; Feb 22, 2013 at 7:08 pm
Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by heraclitus
The outcome of this story underscores the pointlessness of it all.

You have a typical officious jerk in uniform who thinks everyone must obey his command... but in the end he is useless because if the OP was in fact a thief it's not like said officious jerk would have prevented him from walking off with the bag anyway.

That said, I have to wonder about the wisdom of placing luggage carousels in non-secure areas. Sometimes I would like to stop and have a bite to eat after disembarking, but I always feel the need to hurry up and collect my bags and not leave them circling around for an hour lest someone snatch them away. And inevitably when you leave the carousel you're pretty much on the curb, well away from the airport's amenities.
I understand that baggage reclaim in Canada is considered part of the secure area.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by cdn1
How is the OP supposed to know that he's REQUIRED to show his receipts ?
Most airports in the world do not have this procedure. Imagine if you had to do that in North America or other hubs in Europe.

They should first put up signs for pax so that pax are not suspicious/alarmed when some minimum wage goof shows up and starts demanding. How does the pax know they are genuine and not trying to scam the incoming pax ??

I thought they did this in 3rd world, I guess LGA is also considered such now?
I guess the airport manager must be really dumb at LGA
That kinda response is just BS. The OP by his own admission was being LAZY and didn't want to be BOTHERED with fishing them out. So the choice was simple fish them out or produce ID. It is not at all unsual to expect such things at an airport these days. Dont like it DONT travel. Simple as that.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
I understand that baggage reclaim in Canada is considered part of the secure area.
Not really. In my brand-new home airport of YWG, the baggage claim area is designed to be wide open to anyone who walks in off the street. It's the same thing in several Canadian airports.

Even in T1 at YYZ which separates the baggage claim area from the public spaces with frosted glass doors that open only when people leave, there is absolutely nothing preventing you from walking the "wrong way" through. No one ever stops you or challenges you.

I think there might be some wisdom to keeping the carousels at least somewhat off-limits to the general public. But the airports don't seem to think so. I guess if someone is intent on pilfering something, they'll find a way to do it?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:48 pm

Didn't the British wear red coats back in the day? These red coats had no authority to grab or detain the passenger or his property. They should have called law enforcement officers if they believed there was theft in progress. We have seen these situations numerous times at Walmart and it usually ends poorly for the private security.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Some of YYZ baggage claim is secure, but there is no way in the near future that the US is going to retrofit baggage claim areas to be secure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.