Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Fox news reporting security threat at LGA any info ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS

Fox news reporting a plane being held at LGA after some sort of threat. Any one got info ?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Spirit Air flight?

Paranoid spirit passenger freaks out over another passenger's words and makes a stink, the stink resulting in additional economic(ally draining) activity?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
From Sun-Sentinel (FLL)

A plane destined for Fort Lauderdale, Fla., has been held on the tarmac at New York's LaGuardia Airport while authorities investigate a comment by a passenger.

The Port Authority says the person was removed from the plane after making a remark to another passenger that was perceived as a threat. The person was in custody.

Authorities say the plane had pushed off from a gate at around 11 a.m. Monday.

The Port Authority said around 12:15 p.m. that the Spirit Airlines flight was expected to leave shortly.
First comment:
Probably threatened to kick somebody's butt after having to pay $2 for a water on top of a $100 for his bag and $20 for decent leg room!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
From NBC News;
http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/passen...ight-1C7155106

The dil-hole wouldn't turn off his cell phone.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:12 pm

Here is what happened, the passenger had a nervous demeanor, was hunched over and mumbled the following:

"Our Father, who art in Heaven, Hallowed be thy name, Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, forgive me my tresspasses as I forgive others. Amen"
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by NBC News
The customer was removed from the aircraft and the local port authority police and the TSA are handling the situation, the spokesperson said in a statement.
Oh, well, uhh, good.
While nothing was found in the search of the suspect or his bag,
Of course not. He'd been screened by TSA, after all. What would you expect to find once he's already on the plane?
... As a precaution, passengers were rescreened and bags were rechecked,...
And yet, they too had been screened by the professional, hardworking, diligent TSA folks at LGA. Why does one guy making a nuisance of himself suddenly translate into "we might have missed a bottle of shampoo in someone else's bag"?

ETA: And let me guess: They didn't find anything "suspicious" when they rescreened the passengers and their bags. Right?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Oh, well, uhh, good.

Of course not. He'd been screened by TSA, after all. What would you expect to find once he's already on the plane?

And yet, they too had been screened by the professional, hardworking, diligent TSA folks at LGA. Why does one guy making a nuisance of himself suddenly translate into "we might have missed a bottle of shampoo in someone else's bag"?

ETA: And let me guess: They didn't find anything "suspicious" when they rescreened the passengers and their bags. Right?
How would they know?

I'd like to know how they 're-screened' the pax - did they grope them all at the gate, or accompany them all back to the checkpoint and force them to undergo the checkpoint process all over again. What if someone lost/discarded their BP after boarding (I have lost mine once or twice somewhere between boarding and deplaning)?

If they re-screened a bag and the pax had three snow-globes or a bottle of liquor, would they demand that the pax provide a receipt to prove that these illegal LGAs were actually purchased in the sterile area and not smuggled past the checkpoint?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
How would they know?

I'd like to know how they 're-screened' the pax - did they grope them all at the gate, or accompany them all back to the checkpoint and force them to undergo the checkpoint process all over again. What if someone lost/discarded their BP after boarding (I have lost mine once or twice somewhere between boarding and deplaning)?

If they re-screened a bag and the pax had three snow-globes or a bottle of liquor, would they demand that the pax provide a receipt to prove that these illegal LGAs were actually purchased in the sterile area and not smuggled past the checkpoint?
Invisible layers, that's how.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Spirit Air flight?

Paranoid spirit passenger freaks out over another passenger's words and makes a stink, the stink resulting in additional economic(ally draining) activity?
So paranoid spirit passenger freaks out over another passenger's harmless activity and makes a stink, the stink resulting in additional economic(ally draining) activity?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:44 pm

I saw that airplane a little after 11 this morning, we were wondering what had happened. It was surrounded by police cars, ambulances and fire trucks.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Again according to CNN some idiot psgr. refused to turn off his cell phone. Now I can understand return to gate to get that idiot off . But the rest come on
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Again according to CNN some idiot psgr. refused to turn off his cell phone. Now I can understand return to gate to get that idiot off . But the rest come on
Pilot's report to the Tower was an explosive on board.

Port Authority Police radio recordings confirm officers were initially advised of an explosive on board the aircraft.

The initial plan was to return to gate B6, but there was a change of plan, and they later held them on taxiway E.

Nowhere could I find, other than a CNN reporter's Tweet, that it was in reference to a passenger refusing to turn off a mobile phone.

Personally, I think they need to make a distinction between actual sources -vs- CNN reporter's on Twitter.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:20 am
Original Poster

It was a short thing on HLN this am. Thanks for clearing it up.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:49 pm
Suspended

And yet again no contraband explosives found.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.