Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

What's up with additional security guards at IAD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2012, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

In IAD B Terminal this afternoon and saw no less than 3 private security guards (not TSA) with clipboards taking notes and data gathering on passenger activity. Has anyone else seen this and does anyone have any idea whats going on? I found it to be quite creepy. Can private guards do things that are beyond the TSA job description?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Private guards can perform any constitutional activity that we can. Observe anything in public. Take notes. Video or audio tape if allowed by local regulations. Appear "suspicious".

Whatever "we" want the right to do we have to allow "them" to do as well. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 1:41 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Are you sure they were security guards and not researchers/data collectors?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I couldn't tell you why, but IAD has had an increased presence of law enforcement throughout the main terminal starting about a month ago. I wonder if the data collection is part of whatever campaign that's started.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Private guards can perform any constitutional activity that we can. Observe anything in public. Take notes. Video or audio tape if allowed by local regulations. Appear "suspicious".

Whatever "we" want the right to do we have to allow "them" to do as well. I wouldn't have it any other way.
If the private security guards are employed by a governmental entity, then generally speaking, the same constitutional restrictions applied to government employees will be applied to them.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - Somebody wants to stand there and take notes about how many people tow their roll-a-board in their left-hand vs. right-hand, that's their prerogative. Whether they are collecting data for the government, a private research firm or are just really bored.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:31 am

The holidays are coming and they've been watching Die Hard 2?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Funny, I was about to post on how short-handed TSA looked at IAD this Sunday--single lane (1 magnetron) for entire airport. When it got to ~300 deep, they opened another lane. Manger-on-duty (25 year old?) said it was 'shift change' which convinced approximately no one in line. Many comment cards filled out. (No changes expected.)

OTOH, no sign of clip-board wielding folks in C / D.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.