Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

DL passenger denied boarding due to t-shirt design

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL passenger denied boarding due to t-shirt design

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
She then showed a picture of this woman, wearing her typical outfit: a t-shirt with a colorful slogan prominently displayed across the bosom.
Was the woman's name "Pat" by any chance ?
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I thank you for your considered response. I think we can all agree that none of those decisions offer the complainant much protection in this instance, but certainly there are some requirements that commercial carriers should be aware of. They might consider themselves lucky that none of those concerns mattered in this instance.
I was merely addressing the "no right" contention and I agree it likely does not fit this case. There are conditions attached to the right, one of which is the requirement to abide by the carrier's CofC which in most cases states that a passenger can be denied/removed for a number of reasons, capricious or not.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth
But they did let him fly the next day. He was just put through the wringer because of his beliefs, expressed via a clever t-shirt.

Should have read the article.
But, CLEARLY, he wasn't dangerous the next day... because he wasn't wearing the shirt anymore.

Duh.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM and charter KM
Oh really?

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
It's not often I sympathize with TSA and DL procedural stuff, but there you go. I feel sorry for them having to deal with people like this traveler, and I'm happy he has suffered the consequences of his attention seeking.
So let me get this straight, the guy wears a t- shirt that makes some anything for security kettle feel uncomfortable, Delta, the Ue shirted perverts, and airport cops over react and it is the op's fault? I guess that I am lucky that I have not been hassled when I wear my t-shirt that has a grenade on it. I would just love to have this situation happen to myself sometime. I have a very good friend who practices civil rights law and he would have a field day with this group of idiots in a court of law! Whether or not you agree with what the guy was wearing, there is still a first amendment out there that allows freedom of expression!

To the party quoted above, I am a Delta DM and wear t-shirts like this all the time. While always respectful to Delta staff, I would tell them to pound sand if they EVER tried something like this with me.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
The pen is mightier than the sword - thing to remember though is that it is NOT a sword.
Tell that to the Israelis. They have recently been accosting reporters/writers from the NY Times who wrote negative stories about Israel, and upon their arrival in Israel, strip searched them and sent them back. Swords and all.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by golfguy714
Whether or not you agree with what the guy was wearing, there is still a first amendment out there that allows freedom of expression!
Yes, but Delta is not the government, so it's not quite that simple.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
What does "comfort" mean, though? Does it mean a vague unease born of ignorance and cowardice? Or does it have to be something real?
^

I think the shirt is amusing. I applaud the wearer for daring to express his opinion in front of TSA in a way that is not illegal, unsafe, or disruptive.

The reaction from the "uncomfortable" pax, TSA, et al. only reinforces the message of the shirt. Delicious.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:03 pm
Suspended

To the posters that say that the airport is not the place to protest the TSA...

The airport is exactly where the TSA should be protested, every day of the week.

--Jon
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:29 pm

I wear this shirt on occasion when I fly in November and December. Apparently I'm just an attention seeker trying to be denied boarding too.

Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Affection
To the posters that say that the airport is not the place to protest the TSA...

The airport is exactly where the TSA should be protested, every day of the week.

--Jon
^
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
Originally Posted by MastaHanky
I wear this shirt on occasion when I fly in November and December. Apparently I'm just an attention seeker trying to be denied boarding too.

now that's funny right there
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Imagine the lawsuits if they let a knucklehead wearing a t-shirt saying "I *heart* America" fly and then he actually did blow up the plane.

Imagine the lawsuits if they let a knucklehead wearing a plain green t-shirt fly and then he actually did blow up the plane.

Imagine the lawsuits if they let a knucklehead wearing a white shirt, red tie and black suit fly and then he actually did blow up the plane.

Or do you think it's easier to blow up a plane with a t-shirt that says "bomb" and "terrist" than with another kind of shirt?

Here's an idea, what about if they check people for actual bombs and weapons, rather than stopping them based on what their t-shirt says? Oh, wait, TSA did that at the checkpoint, didn't find anything worth stopping him for, and let him through. It was only the Chicken Little Delta agent at the gate who got nervous. So TSA checked him, his wife, and his carry-on bags again, didn't find anything again and said he was okay to fly as far as they were concerned. So Delta got the cops over to threaten him and make racist comments. And after all that, he still wasn't in possession of anything he could use to blow up a plane. Just a shirt.
^It's nice to hear a reasoned voice championing liberty from Australia! I fear that your rights are being usurped by your government as quickly as are ours here.

The last time that I flew into SYD, I was standing by the baggage carousel awaiting my luggage, when two intimidating CBP officers walked up to me and enquired as to my business in Oz. They then asked me if I had any fishing gear with me. When I answered no, one of them looked me sternly in the eye and said, "Are you sure?" I said, "Yes, I am sure. I have never fished in my life, and am certain that I don't have any fishing gear." They then told me how serious it would be if I was lying to them and commenced to search my luggage. ---What was that all about???? Is there a big illegal fishing cartel invading Australia that I don't know about?

Last edited by zombietooth; Aug 22, 2012 at 1:32 pm
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
^It's nice to hear a reasoned voice championing liberty from Australia! I fear that your rights are being usurped by your government as quickly as are ours here.

The last time that I flew into SYD, I was standing by the baggage carousel awaiting my luggage, when two intimidating CBP officers walked up to me and enquired as to my business in Oz. They then asked me if I had any fishing gear with me. When I answered no, one of them looked me sternly in the eye and said, "Are you sure?" I said, "Yes, I am sure. I have never fished in my life, and am certain that I don't have any fishing gear." They then told me how serious it would be if I was lying to them and commenced to search my luggage. ---What was that all about???? Is there a big illegal fishing cartel invading Australia that I don't know about?
Despite the fact that the Aus govt has introduced all types of invasive beasties into their environment, they are over the moon paranoid about foreigners doing it. It's possible they were concerned about fishing because of the various shellfish (zebra something or other) that might have contaminated your gear.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Despite the fact that the Aus govt has introduced all types of invasive beasties into their environment, they are over the moon paranoid about foreigners doing it. It's possible they were concerned about fishing because of the various shellfish (zebra something or other) that might have contaminated your gear.
Thanks for the info--that makes sense. I was also really confused as to how they profiled me as a likely fisherman among the hundreds standing around the baggage area--I guess I look like a fisherman.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:51 pm

Maybe the BUF TSA was upset as it distracted them from their historic mission of drug smuggling.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: Costco Club
I wear shirt.woot shirts all the time, I love them, some of them have occasionally drawn a glance at me, but never anything this outrageous lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.