Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

DL passenger denied boarding due to t-shirt design

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL passenger denied boarding due to t-shirt design

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
We're at an impasse.
My lay reading is that, absent any specific exclusion, the right to travel applies equally to all modes and I really don't follow the argument about any implicit, unspecified prohibitions. So we'll leave it there.
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Perhaps a better way to say it is that these cases say that the right to travel is "merely" a right to "travel", that the point of the right is that a person be able to travel. It doesn't require that the government allow the person to travel in any specific way.
I think I understand Richardkenner's argument; one might say analogously "The right to free speech is merely the right to speak. It doesn't mean that the government can't limit the frequencies where you are allowed to broadcast radio." And clearly the government can limit some aspects of flying, thus the FAA, thus TSA security checks. But saying that the right to travel does not include flying on commercial scheduled air service goes way beyond that, and it would significantly restrict / diminish the right to travel as we know it in the 20th and 21st centuries.

Of course the government can build a cargo-only interstate highway and restrict travel along this venue to pre-cleared commercial cargo without violating the right to travel. Of course government can insist that anyone driving on a highway is properly licensed to ensure the safety of other drivers. But for a commonly accepted method of public transit, (like flying or riding a train) the government placing new restrictions on it that severely limit interstate travel, or forbid interstate travel to certain persons, is a different scenario entirely.

Surely there is some balancing test - the truth has to lie somewhere in the middle of these two extremes. If the only way that you are allowed to "travel interstate" is by walking across the state border at one specified point, surely that would violate the "right to interstate travel"? I would think a proper statement would be something more along the lines of "There is generally a right to travel interstate by any means, subject to constraints that facilitate legitimate/important government interests."

Even in Gilmore v. Gonzales, the only reason the "No Fly List" and asking for ID at security checkpoints were deemed Constitutional was that the passenger has the option to refuse to show ID, and instead submit to a more intensive security screening. The government interest is ensuring safe flights, and the convenient way to do this is ask for ID. But the only reason asking for ID is permissible is that there is alternative that does not interfere with the passenger's right to travel. To me, that says you have a right to fly on airplanes, but no right to fly on airplanes with anything considered 'dangerous' by the TSA.

So obviously there is a little more here than, "As long as you have some way to conduct travel interstate, we are not interfering with your right to travel." If the right to interstate travel did not apply to all common methods of travel, including air travel, they would have stated it in Gilmore instead of coming up with such convoluted logic to justify the "No Fly List".

Last edited by janetdoe; Aug 27, 2012 at 1:08 pm
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Ink's extremist view:

Even if there is no explicit right to travel, there is no enumerated power that permits Congress to restrict our right to travel.

But, Congress does a lot of things for which they have no enumerated power to do. Congress is just another Constitution-free zone.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by TSORon
In the case here, the ultimate authority on who can or cannot board an aircraft is the aircraft commander. To deny someone passage on his aircraft he / she must have a tangible and rational reason for the decision.
I would love to see the captain's explanation of his "tangible and rational" reason in this case. A claim that other passengers were irrational is a valid reason to deny them boarding, not the victim of their irrationalities.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Perhaps a better way to say it is that these cases say that the right to travel is "merely" a right to "travel", that the point of the right is that a person be able to travel. It doesn't require that the government allow the person to travel in any specific way. I believe, for example, that it would be within the powers of the government to say that certain Interstate highways could carry commercial traffic only as long as there were other Interstate highways that passengers could use to get from state to state.
I think you are missing a key point: distinguishing among people. If the government shut down I-95 for a while, that would be much more likely to be legal than prohibiting people wearing anti-TSA t-shirts from traveling along it while allowing those dressed otherwise. Similarly, shutting down all air travel, or all air travel at specific locations (e.g. when AF-1 is arriving) is allowed; but that also does not discriminate among travelers.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: None, no how, no way
In the raised level of paranoia that permeates all air terminals I've been in since 9-11, a stunt like this is just stupid, and a strip search is probably no more than this person deserves. Maybe rubber gloves and a soupçon of cavities, too.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rico567
In the raised level of paranoia that permeates all air terminals I've been in since 9-11, a stunt like this is just stupid, and a strip search is probably no more than this person deserves. Maybe rubber gloves and a soupçon of cavities, too.
What does someone who thinks the Constitution should be ignored due to stupidity/paranoia deserve?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sethb
What does someone who thinks the Constitution should be ignored due to stupidity/paranoia deserve?
If a US person, the punishment for treason may well be deserved.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:25 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
The T-shirt was stupid. the TSA have limited power but they do have the power to slow things down, i.e. cause you to miss your flight. If annoyed that can use their limited list of pat downs, bag searches, etc. as a stall tactic.

Same with flight crew, an aging FA who's life didn't turn out like she wanted bars a young woman in a short skirt from flying. A threat to aviation if we're able to see where life originates when walking down the aisle towards her? I hope not or Al Qaeda will be looking for their next band of terrorists at strip clubs.

I'm unhappy as a traveler, between security theatre and delayed, crowded flights so I can only imagine that the TSA and flight crews don't really like their jobs compounded with reduced wages and benefits. It's not the same as getting to be Snow White or Mickey Mouse at Disneyland - no one looks forward to the whole process at an airport like a six year old looks forward to a theme park visit.

I maintain a low profile, try to blend in, smile and when the TSA gets surely I try tomchange their attitude with a kind word. if that doesn't work I polietly ask them not to blame me for a series of bad life choices that caused them to end up where they are today.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond,Bonvoy Platinum,Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade,LH SEN,AZ Gold,VS Elevate Gold
it's terrifying to see so many people on this board have had a reality AND sense-of-humour bypass op.

for me, big kudos to the guy.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I would love to see the captain's explanation of his "tangible and rational" reason in this case. A claim that other passengers were irrational is a valid reason to deny them boarding, not the victim of their irrationalities.
And then he has to explain to his boss that he allowed half the plane to stay behind and be rebooked because one individual made them uncomfortable. I imagine that would not go well.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkey75
And then he has to explain to his boss that he allowed half the plane to stay behind and be rebooked because one individual made them uncomfortable. I imagine that would not go well.
So how many people have to threaten to be disruptive in order to violate the rights of one non-disruptive passenger? Please put a number on it.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:12 am

Dense

I think someone has to be pretty dense not to think that a shirt like that might cause a problem. There are terrorists. There are nut cases. So what would people here post the first time security ignores a T-shirt or suitcase sticker or whatever that features pictures of or language about bombs, security, explosions, guns, or related issues and the person does turn out to be some sort of nut who tries to take over or crash an aircraft?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yostwl
I think someone has to be pretty dense not to think that a shirt like that might cause a problem. There are terrorists. There are nut cases. So what would people here post the first time security ignores a T-shirt or suitcase sticker or whatever that features pictures of or language about bombs, security, explosions, guns, or related issues and the person does turn out to be some sort of nut who tries to take over or crash an aircraft?
I guess on your planet I shouldn't read mysteries either, because their covers often feature such stuff.

So what happens the first time security ignores a man in a business suit and he turns out to be some sort of nut?

So what happens the first time security pays excessive attention to a woman in a short skirt, but lets her through eventually, and she turns out to be some sort of nut?

What are the relative odds of someone with a funny t-shirt being a terrorist compared with someone dressing so as not to be noticed?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
So how many people have to threaten to be disruptive in order to violate the rights of one non-disruptive passenger? Please put a number on it.
If 100% of the passengers on that flight were nervous about the t-shirt, the correct response would have been to unload every one of them, apologize to t-shirt guy for the delay and take him to his destination.

Originally Posted by yostwl
The same thing I'd post if anyone turned out to be a nut who tries to take over or crash an aircraft.

Mike
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: Skymiles - FO
Most of {49 U.S.C. § 40103} certainly doesn't and clearly relates to rights of pilots, but part of it talks about accommodation of disabled people on commercial carriers, so it's very confused. I think one would have to go deep into the legislative history here to understand that particular code: my guess is that that part was added later.
Now I'm curious too...
The statute in question was enacted in by the 103rd congress in 1994 as H.R.1758. The text in question is as follows:
----------------------------------------------------
(a) Sovereignty and Public Right of Transit.—
(1) The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States.
(2) A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit through the navigable airspace. To further that right, the Secretary of Transportation shall consult with the Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board established under section 502 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. 792) before prescribing a regulation or issuing an order or procedure that will have a significant impact on the accessibility of commercial airports or commercial air transportation for handicapped individuals.
----------------------------------------------------

"...courts must presume that a legislature says in a statute what it means and means in a statute what it says there." [503 U.S. 249, 253-254]. Sure, congress could have hypothetically meant that only pilots had the right to "transit through navigable airspace", but if this had been congressional intent, it could have been explicitly stated. I find it hard to believe that congress sought to insure airport access to only handicapped pilots to further what it specifically designates a "right". I'm also not persuaded by arguments that congress did not have in mind commercial air transport when it designated a right to air travel, especially since it makes explicit references to it in the statute. In 1994 most of the people who traveled through the navigable airspace did so as paying passengers on commercial carriers. I don't see anything in the legislative history that suggests that congress did not intend the law to apply to them...and to us today.

Unless 49 USC § 40103 has since been repealed, struck down by a court or otherwise done away with, I think it still applies...for what it is worth. "A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit through the navigable airspace." A right to air travel may not be declared in the constitution, but it is declared in this federal statute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.