Racial Profiling at BOS

Old Aug 12, 12, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Darkumbra View Post
From the article..."That is what happened last month at Logan airport to Kenneth Boatner, 68, a psychologist and educational consultant in Boston who was traveling to Atlanta for a business trip.

In a formal complaint he filed with the agency afterward, he said he was pulled out of line and detained for 29 minutes as agents thumbed through his checkbook and examined his clients’ clinical notes, his cellphone and other belongings."

So much for your privacy even if you don't fly.
Wouldn't this be a violation of HIPAA laws?

The BDO program seems like a great way to catch people with warrants and drugs that aren't a threat to aviation. It's much like the NoS which is great at finding drugs and toothpaste.
Old Aug 12, 12, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by spd476 View Post

The BDO program seems like a great way to catch people with warrants and drugs that aren't a threat to aviation. It's much like the NoS which is great at finding drugs and toothpaste.
TSA will say that they only searched the checkbook and documents looking for concealed razor blades or other harmful items. They will deny actually reading the content of the documents. This may or may not be official policy, since TSOs have been caught actually reading and challenging documents (including checks) before.

A review of tapes could indicate whether or not the documents were simply leafed through or actually studied, but you know how unreliable the cameras are - tapes get lost, erased, cameras don't happen to cover the area where the scrutiny took place, etc.
Old Aug 12, 12, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
Odd that they were looking for drugs, warrants and illegal immigrants but somehow forgot the whole terrorist thing.

Mike
Odd indeed at first glance.

But given that

1) there aren't that many "terrorists" for the TSA to find in the US; and

2) the terrorists that do fly (from airports with a TSA wanted-and-approved "security" screening) have generally not been identified as terrorists by the TSA and routinely missed

even where the voodoo "security" of behavior-detection is part of the picture,

it is odd but not surprising that Team TSA comes up with their own wacky idea of "success"/"succeeding" so as to carry-on with business as usual for the TSA.
Old Aug 12, 12, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Yup, pretty much sums it up. Thinking of bringing a copy of this article to Logan tonight and keeping a copy in the top of my bag and a copy in my pocket to see what they say if they start reading it after I opt out and they search me.

Mike
Old Aug 12, 12, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA HQ denies that this happens, but because it keeps no records of race/ethnicity, the organization actually has no idea whether or not it happens.

We have the word of the folks on the front lines doing (and objecting to) the profiling that say it does happen. Thirty of them say it happens. I don't know how many BDOs BOS has, but thirty folks telling the same story seems somewhat persuasive to me.

And we have the Massachusetts State Police, who don't provide specific numbers, but who have questioned why the overwhelming number of the cases referred to them are minorities. Just coincidence, of course.
Old Aug 12, 12, 5:11 pm
In Memoriam

Liar, liar

Let's not forget that this board's TSA participants have steadfastly denied that they look for drugs, etc. and that there are no quotas.

While we have never believed them, their lies are now revealed. And anyone who believes anything they say has got a screw loose.
Old Aug 12, 12, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by MaximumSisu View Post
Let's not forget that this board's TSA participants have steadfastly denied that they look for drugs, etc. and that there are no quotas.

While we have never believed them, their lies are now revealed. And anyone who believes anything they say has got a screw loose.

...I guess no one could never compete with the straw men of your arguments.
Old Aug 12, 12, 6:22 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Chaos.Defined View Post
...I guess no one could never compete with the straw men of your arguments.
Mastering the English language might help you obtain a job with a non-criminal organization.
Old Aug 12, 12, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(bolding mine) Sorry, I have believed things that were posted here or PM'd to me. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that one of the most prolific posters was untrustworthy. I followed the advice I was given and ended up having a supervisor take copies of my ID/BP and the TSO's 'helpful' PM and giving me a lecture on how stupid I was to believe that just because someone self-identified as a TSO and posted as such, it was not necessarily the case. In fact, he told me, it was a likely scenario for someone with bad intentions to try to test the system by taking advantage of my naive trust.

He kept the PM for the 'report' he was making on the incident.
Old Aug 12, 12, 7:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Mastering the English language might help you obtain a job with a non-criminal organization.
That is actually a very helpful piece of advice!
Old Aug 12, 12, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by spd476 View Post
HIPAA only covers healthcare providers. That means that the TSA would be held blameless in the revelation of sensitive medical information, and the only person punishable in this situation would be Dr. Boatner!

The TSA has made a regular practice of revealing private medical details of travelers, often in an extremely loud voice by shouting about these across a crowded checkpoint. I found out about a colleague of mines' pacemaker that way. He didn't want me to know about it. After the TSA had its way with him, everyone in a 300 foot radius knew.
Old Aug 13, 12, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
From a Boston Globe article:

Not every traveler shared concerns about the airport. George Kofa, an Army veteran and Morehouse College student who was waiting for a flight home to Atlanta at Logan on Sunday, said he believes reports of racial profiling are blown out of proportion.

“People overexaggerate it,” said Kofa, 32, who is black. He said his first experience with Logan Airport went smoothly, without any extra screening.

A native of Liberia, Kofa said he has come to expect tighter security since 9/11. He is a frequent flier, both nationally and internationally, and said it is not uncommon for him to be chosen for additional screening.

But, he said, he doesn’t mind.
The training is working . Baa baa, little sheep.

Also, all investigations into the profiling allegations are being conducted by TSA, so it's sure to be exposed The rest of the article is worthy of a read.
Old Aug 13, 12, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkey75 View Post
From a Boston Globe article:

The training is working . Baa baa, little sheep.

Also, all investigations into the profiling allegations are being conducted by TSA, so it's sure to be exposed The rest of the article is worthy of a read.
The reports specifically mention dress as well as race as factors.
Old Aug 13, 12, 11:21 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
A prominent libertarian commentator adds her opinions and makes what IMHO is an excellent point in her blog here:

The TSA has no business looking for drugs, outstanding arrest warrants, or immigration problems unless it has serious reason to believe that the person involved poses a serious threat to air safety. If it is going to serve as an extension of every other sort of law enforcement, then its searches should be subject to the same requirements for probable cause, which would allow almost everyone to travel without submitting to TSA examination.
Old Aug 13, 12, 3:04 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
TSA wastes 8 billion dollars each year, ($8,000,000,000.00), and has never found a terrorist even with staffing levels of approximately 60,000 employees.

The TSA Vodoo Science BDO program has only profiling or out right chance to rely on and is a total waste of taxpayers monies.

Just one of the 20 Security Theater Acts TSA calls security.
I got to experience the BDO's at BOS departing on B6 last year. For a few moments I actually wondered if I somehow mistakenly ended up in the Federal Inspection Service area after the officer started asking me about the purpose of my trip to Boston, who I met and what I was bringing back with me. The questions would have made perfect sense for customs but I see no connection with air security.... looked like a fishing expedition to me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: