Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

A pat down that ended my wife up in the ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A pat down that ended my wife up in the ER

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:33 am

This story has made it to Russia Today (RT):

http://rt.com/usa/news/tsa-rape-room-wife-179/
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CX HK
This story has made it to Russia Today (RT):

http://rt.com/usa/news/tsa-rape-room-wife-179/
.... and the flop that is CurrentTV.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by jphripjah
What do you want it to do? Ignore anomalies on the x ray machine and forego pat downs if the passenger claims to have mental health issues and an aversion to being touched? That's not reasonable.
No, what we want to do is completely eliminate the x-raying of live human beings. X-rays are ionizing radiation. They cause cancer. X-ray exposure is cumulative - there may be a tiny little bit in each scan, but they add up, and they will cause cancers in people who otherwise wouldn't develop cancer.

But there are other options. WTMD plus HHMD will detect metal items without ANY PHYSICAL CONTACT, which is how it was done for about 35 years before the cancer boxes came along. The system worked - yet it's been abandoned in favor of a system that A) is less effective, B) is far, far less efficient, and C) violates peoples civil rights and causes mental anguish on a massive scale.

Do you believe in metal detectors? What should TSA do if a person sets off a metal detector or makes the wand beep but claims to have mental health reasons why they shouldn't be pat down?
If a person sets off a WTMD, the metal can be localized with a HHMD and the person can be cleared without physical contact. It was done that way for 35 years. It can be done that way again. Physical contact can be cut by 99%, and the remaining 1% of cases where an anomaly can only be cleared by touching can be cleared by limited, localized, area-specific touching, not the full-body rubdown with genital contact and hands inside the pants method that is currently used.

NOBODY should be given a full-body pat-down without warrant or probable cause, and if warrant or probable cause is present, the full-body pat-down should be performed by vetted professional LEOs, not minimum wage pizza box flunkies.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
No, what we want to do is completely eliminate the x-raying of live human beings. X-rays are ionizing radiation. They cause cancer. X-ray exposure is cumulative - there may be a tiny little bit in each scan, but they add up, and they will cause cancers in people who otherwise wouldn't develop cancer.

But there are other options. WTMD plus HHMD will detect metal items without ANY PHYSICAL CONTACT, which is how it was done for about 35 years before the cancer boxes came along. The system worked - yet it's been abandoned in favor of a system that A) is less effective, B) is far, far less efficient, and C) violates peoples civil rights and causes mental anguish on a massive scale.

If a person sets off a WTMD, the metal can be localized with a HHMD and the person can be cleared without physical contact. It was done that way for 35 years. It can be done that way again. Physical contact can be cut by 99%, and the remaining 1% of cases where an anomaly can only be cleared by touching can be cleared by limited, localized, area-specific touching, not the full-body rubdown with genital contact and hands inside the pants method that is currently used.

NOBODY should be given a full-body pat-down without warrant or probable cause, and if warrant or probable cause is present, the full-body pat-down should be performed by vetted professional LEOs, not minimum wage pizza box flunkies.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and if you need randomness, use dogs.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been pat down in airports all over ther world. Often it's right before boarding, sometimes they are probably looking for drugs, sometimes everyone is getting pat down, and sometimes it's only selected people. Takes about 30 seconds, and it's never been sexual.
I didn't say that TSA groping genitals was sexual, but it is wrong and exceeds a limited administrative search for weapons, incendiaries, and explosives which is all TSA is allowed to search for.

Also, if you are in the U.S. and the TSA search is looking for drugs your civil rights are being violated.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by mybodyismyown
Also, from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

Article 13.

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
(2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.
Why do you believe that a UN document carries any weight concerning US laws and practices?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:50 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by serioustraveler
If so, it's a right only the "rich" are able to engage in because of airfare prices.

By your logic we should offer free airfare for everyone because it's a RIGHT and not a privilege.
The fact that you have a right to do something does not mean I (we the taxpayers are the government's source of money) have to pay for you to exercise that right.

You have the right to print handbills and distribute them; but you have no authority to ask the government to pay for the ink, paper, labor, and other costs associated with exercising that right.

Civics 101 is a course that needs to be taught again in the USA. Too many people think I have to monetarily pay for their rights' exercise. I reject that assertion.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:22 am

Can anyone tell me why, when flying into America, most other countries do not use body scanners, yet while inside America you don't fly anywhere without such an assult? Is the terrorist within, and if so why are we fighting abroad?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Helen Quintano Barr
Can anyone tell me why, when flying into America, most other countries do not use body scanners, yet while inside America you don't fly anywhere without such an assult? Is the terrorist within, and if so why are we fighting abroad?
The answer is a bit complicated but here goes.

Goverment Contractors + Congress + Pockets = Money.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It's partly because America has a lawsuit-driven culture. If the scanning technology exists and airports don't use it and then someone hijacks and crashes a plane, the same people who currently complain about extensive security measures would be lining up to sue over the inadequate security that caused the plane crash.

Americans constantly demand freedom, but if someone else uses that freedom to cause harm, Americans then quickly look for a corporation or government to sue for millions of dollars.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:26 am

It's partly because America has a lawsuit-driven culture.
I would say that it is because common sense, critical thinking, and logic prevail in other countries, whilst the American public in general seems to have been brainwashed into submission, being told endlessly that they are at war, and to be very afraid. (Meanwhile, when we hear 'we are a nation at war', we wonder whom with, and question who declared that war)

In the meantime, rest of world dealt with terrorism for decades before the US. Flight 182 means nothing to most Americans, even though it was the largest loss of life in an airplane terror attack prior to 9/11. (Sadly, based on the recent response and comments to the shooting this week, I think that many Americans don't care because it concerned a bunch of brown-skinned turban-wearers, even if they do know about the event , even if the vast majority were actually their neighbours to the north)

The US doesn't hold the market on terrorism. Other countries figured out long ago how to deal with the threat without using scanners or violating rights or treating people in the way the US does. I don't agree with all the methods in use, such as the camera obsessed UK, but at least I can travel in most of rest of world without having to fear the airport checkpoint like I do in America.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: AAPLT, RR Alist
Originally Posted by exbayern
But WTMD plus wand isn't an option anymore in the US. It doesn't exist, so why argue that fact?

The scanner is useless. The extremely high rate of anomalies is one of the many reasons the German federal police refused the scanners after extensive trials, and why most countries around the world refuse to use them.
I don't have time to post my Werner Gruber link right now, but you really should educate yourself on why so many are angry at the waste in the US to use something which doesn't make you safer.
well....unless they are looking for wrinkles/creases in your jeans, which the MMW/AIT so nicely detected my last time through. Just got a focal cursory patdown. Same jeans I wear almost every time I fly...new "anomaly" to me...I usually get the green light.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Why do you believe that a UN document carries any weight concerning US laws and practices?
Natural rights are distinct from legal rights.

Try reading en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_and_legal_rights for the basics. Here's an excerpt: "Natural rights are rights not contingent upon the laws, customs, or beliefs of any particular culture or government, and therefore universal and inalienable. In contrast, legal rights are those bestowed onto a person by the law of a particular political and legal system, and therefore relative to specific cultures and governments.
Natural rights, in particular, are considered beyond the authority of any government or international body to dismiss. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights is an important legal instrument enshrining one conception of natural rights into international soft law."

We have a natural right, recognized in international human rights law, to travel freely within the borders of our own country.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by mybodyismyown
Natural rights are distinct from legal rights.

Try reading en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_and_legal_rights for the basics. Here's an excerpt: "Natural rights are rights not contingent upon the laws, customs, or beliefs of any particular culture or government, and therefore universal and inalienable. In contrast, legal rights are those bestowed onto a person by the law of a particular political and legal system, and therefore relative to specific cultures and governments.
Natural rights, in particular, are considered beyond the authority of any government or international body to dismiss. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights is an important legal instrument enshrining one conception of natural rights into international soft law."

We have a natural right, recognized in international human rights law, to travel freely within the borders of our own country.
Have you read the entire UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights or are you just picking out the section that you believe most applicable to you? That is nothing more than a pithy feel good document that has absolutely no bearing on any court or jurisdiction within the United States. There are also comments about "rights to own property", "rights to equal pay for equal work", and the right to "form and join trade unions". That document means absolutely nothing more than the paper it was printed on. The US doesn't recognize a natural rights philosophy. It may use it as guidance from time to time but we operate under a system of written laws, not feel good happy fluffy feelings about the way the world should be.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
The US doesn't recognize a natural rights philosophy.
Yes, it does. Have you read the Declaration of Indepence recently? It says "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,".

Now, if you want to argue that recent court decisions may have been ignoring that principle, I might agree with you, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. It's clear to many people that it reflects the intent of the drafters of the Constitution, which they meant to be interpreted consistent with that intent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.