Community
Wiki Posts
Search

...But we never left the US?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2012, 9:42 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by jphripjah
The birth certificate would be pretty good evidence. He saw the Op's drivers license and if the OP was carrying a birth certificate of a baby girl about 13 months old with the OP listed as the mother, that would tend to further confirm tha the baby in her hands was hers.

I'm not saying that he should have asked for such documentation coming and going from the USVI, but birth certificates are pretty good evidence of parenthood.
true, and many airlines do technically require them for lap children.
Fact remains CBP can ask, in this case it did not seem to matter.
I owned a home in the USVI for three and half years and in that time I saw CBP asking all the normal inane questions they ask people here, there. Right or wrong, like it or not, that is what they do.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 1:12 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
The birth certificate would be pretty good evidence. He saw the Op's drivers license and if the OP was carrying a birth certificate of a baby girl about 13 months old with the OP listed as the mother, that would tend to further confirm tha the baby in her hands was hers.
I disagree. The birth certificate would show that the OP had a child the same age and sex as the one she had with her. Nothing more.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 2:07 pm

About 10 years ago me an my son was going to Sweden (our birth country). Son was 13 tears old. We are legal residents .

I got an attitude from immigration coming back into the counrty.
Reason was we had different last names.

They wanted to call his father in Sweden. I said go a head .The father doesnt really speak english at all. They had problems with that.
Plus I told them how could I kidnap a teenager. It is not like I could carry him around.

They let us back in to our home. Only time they acted stupid in my eyes.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by medic51vrf
I disagree. The birth certificate would show that the OP had a child the same age and sex as the one she had with her. Nothing more.
.... and finding such people is indeed a rather common method for human trafficking very young minor children into the US, primarily for family reunification purposes when a parent/guardian is an undocumented alien in the US.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by catocony
Look, it's very simple - for a US citizen traveling to and from one of the 50 states, DC or Puerto Rico to the USVI, you do not need a passport. We're not discussing Guam or Samoa or Saipan or anything in the Pacific. So, the CBP was out of order in asking for a birth certificate for a baby on a flight from St. Croix to wherever the parents were flying to.
That a passport is not required does not mean they will not ask for ID.

The US State Department "suggests" you should carry ID and birth certtificate when traveling to PR & USVI.

I take this to mean that w/o these you will get in and back to the 50 states, but it might cause issues to not have them.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 4:24 pm

I'm not saying that he should have asked for such documentation coming and going from the USVI, but birth certificates are pretty good evidence of parenthood.
but what if the dad name was diffrent, then they would need a letter from the bio dad AS WELL ALONG WITH AN ID. when we travel with my niece i always get a letter from her parents even though she is 16 & has a DL.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 9:21 pm

Yes, especially if the child is adopted
Old Aug 4, 2012, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by ctporter
Just wanted to point out that Hawaii is a state, just like for example, Oregon, Illinois, West Virginia, or even Alaska. It is just extremely difficult to "drive" there.
Yes and the day care center in my town is also in a state.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 9:54 pm
Suspended

I actually know this guy who has a fake Hawaii birth certificate...

I don't have kids but this all intrigues me. Are parents supposed to carry birth certificates for children until a certain age? What age? Should parents taking a 6 year old to Hawaii carry the kid's birth certificate?
--Jon
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:27 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by mre5765
Yes and the day care center in my town is also in a state.
Most places are states (e.g. Russia, RoK, NY: a state that is in the state that is the United States of America etc.)

The US Department of State is not something that regularly deals with relations between US "states". AFAIK US territories are in a state: the US.

Sorry... carry on.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by exwannabe
That a passport is not required does not mean they will not ask for ID.

The US State Department "suggests" you should carry ID and birth certtificate when traveling to PR & USVI.

I take this to mean that w/o these you will get in and back to the 50 states, but it might cause issues to not have them.
Rather ironic suggestion when the US considers those territories part of the US and when the US has made a stink of PR-issued ID and birth certificates.

There is no legal requirement to make the government's life easier in ways not required by law; so for travel between the mainland and SJU, not sure why the typical US citizens should go through carrying a certified copy of a birth certificate and risk having to pay replacement costs or identity theft.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by catocony

Mike, as for asking for a birth certificate for the baby, do you think that all domestic travelers should be forced to carry them when traveling with kids? Kids are kidnapped all the time and just about anywhere, right? What "baby trafficking" is coming out of St. Croix anyways?
This thread is about taking a baby to the USVI, something I would never even consider doing without some type of ID for the baby.

It's got nothing at all do to with other domestic travel.

But is it really that hard to carry a birth certificate around if you are carrying a baby around? Many people, like myself, believe you are better to have it and never need it than you are to be asked for it and not have it. I would never consider boarding a airplane with a child traveling anywhere without it. Even if I never need it.

And yeah, I must have been mistaken believing there's any child trafficking (which is way different than kidnapping) in the Caribbean at all. So must be the media, the customs people, the report to congress a few years ago, and all the human rights organizations. They are all probably just making it all up.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
IMHO It is very irresponsible for parents to travel anywhere without the birth certificate (the only legal ID) of their child.

It is accepted proof of identity of the child and the parental/guardian relationship.

One example: if anything happens to the child and medical attention is needed, without a birth certificate to ascertain your legal connection and your authority to act on their behalf your child will be subjected to whatever the doctor/local authorities' treatment without your input.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by tanja
About 10 years ago me an my son was going to Sweden (our birth country). Son was 13 tears old. We are legal residents .

I got an attitude from immigration coming back into the counrty.
Reason was we had different last names.

They wanted to call his father in Sweden. I said go a head .The father doesnt really speak english at all. They had problems with that.
Plus I told them how could I kidnap a teenager. It is not like I could carry him around.

They let us back in to our home. Only time they acted stupid in my eyes.
Elizabeth Smart
Jaycee Dugard and her 2 daughters
Steven Stayner

To name a few more widely known cases; there have been many others of abducted children and teens held through brainwashing and threats against them and their families or others.

I'm not saying the CBP questions they way they are done are useful or justified, or will catch every case, but it's not as simple as above.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:36 pm

I hear what you are saying.

In my case was that me and son both speak swedish/english. Have swedish passports.

A minor child in Sweden cant get an passport unless both parents sign the paper work for a passport.

Plus you can tell that he is my son.He is very much looking like me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.