Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why there will never another 9/11

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Call that whatever you want but it's a lot simpler to say that the AIT can detect hidden explosives while the WTMD can not.
I'll call it simplistic and leave it there.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:18 am

Call that whatever you want but it's a lot simpler to say that the AIT can detect hidden explosives while the WTMD can not.
And a WTMD can detect a hidden metal box on a passenger's side while AIT apparently cannot.

Have a nice day.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:25 am
Suspended

it's a lot simpler to say that the AIT can detect hidden explosives
No, it cannot.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Caradoc
Funny, it can detect my underwire bra and the rivets in my jeans....

Oh, wait. That's the randomizer.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
My point has nothing at all to do with whether I think that the AIT scanners are effective.

My point was that the TSA's focus is, and has been, on the detection of explosives. Most of the changes that they have made over the past decade to both procedures and equipment are targeted at improving their ability to prevent explosives from passing through screening.

As far as the definition of "detect"... If you walk through a WTMD with a brick of C4 under your shirt the WTMD will not alarm. If took that same brick through an AIT scanner there's a very good chance that it would alarm. Some are saying that alarm doesn't count as "detecting the explosive" because the AIT scanner didn't label it an explosive. So what? The procedure that follows an AIT alarm will find the brick and the subsequent ETD test will determine that it is an explosive. The result is that the explosive is detected due to the AIT alarm.

Call that whatever you want but it's a lot simpler to say that the AIT can detect hidden explosives while the WTMD can not. If someone can't see the difference between those two screening results then maybe they're getting a bit too wrapped up with their animosity toward the TSA.
Sure, if I walk through AIT with a block of C4 under my arm, it will alarm.

But wait, there's more:

If I walk through AIT with a block of modeling clay under my shirt, it will alarm.

If I walk through AIT with IHOP pancakes in my underwear, it will alarm.

If I walk through AIT with a thick hairdo on my head, it will alarm.

If I walk through AIT with sweat on my body, it will alarm.

However...

If I walk through AIT with a block of C4 in a hidden latteral pocket on my shirt, will it alarm? No? Then I guess it can't detect the presence of THOSE explosives.

If I walk through AIT with a C4 suppository, will it alarm? No? Then I guess it can't detect the presence of THOSE explosives.

If I walk through with a 1/4" layer of C4 inside the soles of my socks, will it alarm? No? Then I guess it can't detect the presence of THOSE explosives.

AIT is worse than useless; it actively misdirects both vast sums of money and huge amounts of attention that might be better spent elsewhere, on technologies or methodologies that would have a far greater and more reliable chance of detecting and interdicting actual explosives. Like, um, screening 100% of all cargo that goes onto planes, or maybe screening the thousands of boxes of frozen Wopper patties that go to airside food courts each year.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WillCAD
AIT is worse than useless; it actively misdirects both vast sums of money and huge amounts of attention that might be better spent elsewhere, on technologies or methodologies that would have a far greater and more reliable chance of detecting and interdicting actual explosives.
You mean like five pounds of C4 in baggage STILL IN A LABELED WRAPPER?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What's your point? The reason for the AIT scanners is clearly for explosive detection, something that the WTMD can not do. No technology is, or will ever be, perfect.
Do you realize that the AIT nudeoscopes have a success rate of detecting an explosive - at best - of 60%? That the German government, after testing them extensively, rejected the technology as not worth the expense?

As WillCAD noted, the TSA mistaken reliance on this technology "actively misdirects both vast sums of money and huge amounts of attention that might be better spent elsewhere, on technologies or methodologies that would have a far greater and more reliable chance of detecting and interdicting actual explosives."

TSA is nothing more than Kabuki Theater designed by its creators to create the illusion of security.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Dilxat Raxit, spokesman for the German-based World Uyghur Congress which campaigns for Uighurs’ rights, said that it wasn’t a hijacking attempt, rather an in-flight brawl over a seat dispute.
I'd believe it if the carrier had been Spirit.

Mike
Old Jul 9, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Caradoc
You mean like five pounds of C4 in baggage STILL IN A LABELED WRAPPER?
Not a fair example at all. That stuff was being carried by a Real American Hero, who aroused no suspicion... oh, wait, he had been caught with a smoke grenade.

That stuff was being carried by a Real American Hero, who had a perfectly rational explanation why he was carrying a prohibited item in his bag and was thus completely above suspicion after it was confiscated...

Wait, that still doesn't add up.

Okay, I've got it:

That stuff went through a checkpoint staffed by abject morons who complete disregarded TSA SOP and basic common sense in failing to escalate to a thorough hand search of the bag after a prohibited item (one which I believe is actually illegal to possess) was found in it. Yup, that's about it.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
...Okay, I've got it:

That stuff went through a checkpoint staffed by abject morons who complete disregarded TSA SOP and basic common sense in failing to escalate to a thorough hand search of the bag after a prohibited item (one which I believe is actually illegal to possess) was found in it. Yup, that's about it.
Objection: triply redundant.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Objection: triply redundant.
Quadruply, with the implication that all of the above refers to "TSA employees."
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I'll call it simplistic and leave it there.
We can always count on you to make an argument personal, can't we Wally?

If I walk through AIT with a block of C4 in a hidden latteral pocket on my shirt, will it alarm?
Give it a try and report back with your results.

Originally Posted by halls120
Do you realize that the AIT nudeoscopes have a success rate of detecting an explosive - at best - of 60%?
Certainly better than the WTMD's success rate of 0%.

Got a link to the 60% figure? I'd like to read about the tests that produced it.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:59 am
Suspended

Got a link to the 60% figure? I'd like to read about the tests that produced it.
The German testing of the body scanners ended up with a 70% false positive rate, among other notable issues.

http://www.dw.de/dw/article/0,,15278872,00.html
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
We can always count on you to make an argument personal, can't we Wally?
Not intended to be personal, but I can see how it could be taken so.

You posted that it's "simpler to say AIT can detect explosives". With reference to the points raised by me and others (qv) that is an over-simplified contention. IOW; simplistic.

Now I will really leave it .
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:36 pm

My point has nothing at all to do with whether I think that the AIT scanners are effective.

My point was that the TSA's focus is, and has been, on the detection of explosives. Most of the changes that they have made over the past decade to both procedures and equipment are targeted at improving their ability to prevent explosives from passing through screening.

As far as the definition of "detect"... If you walk through a WTMD with a brick of C4 under your shirt the WTMD will not alarm. If took that same brick through an AIT scanner there's a very good chance that it would alarm. Some are saying that alarm doesn't count as "detecting the explosive" because the AIT scanner didn't label it an explosive. So what? The procedure that follows an AIT alarm will find the brick and the subsequent ETD test will determine that it is an explosive. The result is that the explosive is detected due to the AIT alarm.

Call that whatever you want but it's a lot simpler to say that the AIT can detect hidden explosives while the WTMD can not. If someone can't see the difference between those two screening results then maybe they're getting a bit too wrapped up with their animosity toward the TSA.
A brick of c4 may or may not be detected by a nude-o scope. Same with a detonator or gun. A metal detector Will find the detonator and gun. Do the math.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.