Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Former TSO Arrested for Groping Supervisor @ RSW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Former TSO Arrested for Groping Supervisor @ RSW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mulieri
I expect Price's statement is mostly accurate. However, it probably would be more correct if "used to be" is replaced with "are" in this statement.
An ex-TSA employee *might* be less of a "blank" than a current one.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Caradoc
Battery is understandable, but which "officer" is she accused of resisting?
Yes, she did charges with battery on those passengers. Yes, she did resisting arrest. She is not allow to come at work anymore. She can't be come at airport. They firing her. TSA would deserved her banned to come at airport property for the life.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, she is charges with battery on those passengers. Yes, she did resisting arrest. She is not allow to come at work anymore. She can't be come at airport. TSA firing her from her old job. She would deserved her banned at airport property for the life.
What passengers did she batter? And wasn't she ex-TSA long before this incident?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
ABCNews: Carol Price has already turned down three plea offers

There are some very interesting details in this report from ABCNews:

ABCNEWS:
Ex-TSA Agent in Pat-Down Duel
June 19, 2012

A short quote:
[Carol Price's lawyer, John Mills] says they've turned down all three plea offers and want to take the case to trial.

"She doesn't feel like she's done anything wrong, and I agree with her," said Mills. "We hope to get a not guilty verdict and have her named cleared."

According to Kate Hanni, director of FlyersRights.org, a non-profit airline consumer organization, there is a serious need to address airport security pat down protocol as passengers feel they are being violated.

"Most people don't know how to file a complaint or who we could complain to at the TSA," she said. "We really need to reevaluate who we're hiring and also what kind of training is being given to these TSA agents to bring some consistency to the travel process."

Hanni calls the security screening process at airports "the most degrading, undignified process," and attributes part of the problem to corruption throughout the TSA agency.
The article ends with this very tantalizing sentence:
A TSA representative could not be reached for comment.
It is funny how TSA representatives were available to comment for the other news outlets who didn't bother to go get quotes from FlyerRights.org...
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, DL Silver, Avis First, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
http://www.nbc-2.com/story/18819291/...ping-tsa-agent

ANOTHER VIDEO
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by irockfm2
I love the TSA's statement "Violence against our officers...is unacceptable"
but evidently violence by clerks against passengers on a daily basis is perfectly fine. If that is assault, its assault both ways.

"all your genitals is belong to us"
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:24 pm

Is there video of the initial patdown that she received?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:42 pm

I may be a bit of a Capt. Obvious here, but I would not be surprised at all if TSA does everything they can to settle this out of court and/or make it go away.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Rondall
I may be a bit of a Capt. Obvious here, but I would not be surprised at all if TSA does everything they can to settle this out of court and/or make it go away.
From the article cited above ... it sounds like TPTB have made three plea offers already and been turned down. About all that's left is to drop the charges entirely ...
Old Jun 20, 2012, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
From the article cited above ... it sounds like TPTB have made three plea offers already and been turned down. About all that's left is to drop the charges entirely ...
Methinks someone doesn't want this going to trial ...
Old Jun 20, 2012, 1:49 pm

I'm sure the TSA is hoping the courts make an example of out this woman and that is one possible outcome. If it does go to trial, will the TSA be forced to detail their SOP and not be able to hide behind saying it is SSI?

It will be interesting to see if the charges are dropped or if she is found not guilty. I think either one damages the TSA. I think it would validate the concerns a lot of us have on here about how it's ok for the TSA to touch someone in that manner, but it's assault if we touch the TSA in the same manner. I hope if this makes it to a jury, some jurors question that (some frequent flyers would help too) and hopefully all of the jurors aren't the "anything for safety" types that don't fly.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
This story was just on Fox News and they had video of both the screener's original pat down and what the woman was arrested for. The woman's lawyer was in studio discussing the case. Link to local news story was all could find.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Jun 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm
Old Jun 20, 2012, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
Methinks someone doesn't want this going to trial ...
That's not necessarily anything sinister. My understanding is that public prosecutions are pretty expensive (both in time and money), and the outcomes are always a bit uncertain. Plea bargains are offered routinely in many (most?) cases, simply to save resources for the more "important" cases.

But ... your interpretation is also plausible.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
That's not necessarily anything sinister. My understanding is that public prosecutions are pretty expensive (both in time and money), and the outcomes are always a bit uncertain. Plea bargains are offered routinely in many (most?) cases, simply to save resources for the more "important" cases.

But ... your interpretation is also plausible.
While that's true, TSA has typically avoided court that wasn't one of their kangaroo Coast Guard courts.

If it does go to court, TSA often tries to hide behind secrecy. On the other hand, any time that TSA has a procedure reviewed by a judge, there's a chance that all or part of the procedure can be unconstitutional or ruled that it exceeds the scope of an administrative search. NOT going before a judge when possible allows TSA to continue business as usual as while actions might be unconstitutional, they can continue do them until a judge tells them to knock it off.

Even if you don't buy the "evil" factor of TSA, having to go back and rewrite procedure and then communicate it and train screeners on it is expensive and time consuming. It's something that would take money away from buying other cool toys like nude scanners.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spd476
I'm sure the TSA is hoping the courts make an example of out this woman and that is one possible outcome. If it does go to trial, will the TSA be forced to detail their SOP and not be able to hide behind saying it is SSI?

It will be interesting to see if the charges are dropped or if she is found not guilty. I think either one damages the TSA. I think it would validate the concerns a lot of us have on here about how it's ok for the TSA to touch someone in that manner, but it's assault if we touch the TSA in the same manner. I hope if this makes it to a jury, some jurors question that (some frequent flyers would help too) and hopefully all of the jurors aren't the "anything for safety" types that don't fly.
Any jury will likely have at least one anti-TSA member. I would think TSA has more to lose by going to trial. Betting the charges go away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.