Community
Wiki Posts
Search

testing eye drops

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

thank you all for the replies to this thread,
when i next travel to the usa i will ask my doc to give me extra drops and put them in my checked bag, then if they open the ones in my carry on i will be able to tell them to put them in the bin as i will not be using them.

this from tsa site

You must request a visual inspection before the screening process begins; otherwise your medications and supplies will undergo X-ray inspection.
If you would like to take advantage of this option, please have your medication and associated supplies separated from your other property in a separate pouch/bag when you approach the Security Officer at the walk-through metal detector.
Request the visual inspection and hand your medication pouch/bag to the Security Officer.
In order to prevent contamination or damage to medication and associated supplies and/or fragile medical materials, you will be asked at the security checkpoint to display, handle, and repack your own medication and associated supplies during the visual inspection process.Any medication and/or associated supplies that cannot be cleared visually must be submitted for X-ray screening. If you refuse, you will not be permitted to carry your medications and related supplies into the sterile area.
my bold
reading the tsa web site they are wrong to open any medication themselves
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by knwl9
reading the tsa web site they are wrong to open any medication themselves
As many of us have heard on more than one occasion: "The TSA website is wrong."

Reference 10a.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon
Believe what you like, no one here is going to stop you. I have used the strips and can say as a professional that they work just fine. Peroxides are the easiest to detect, some others not so much.

You might want to look over the link. I have used this one several times, its an interesting little device that worked but didn’t quite meet TSA’s needs.
This device indeed does detect explosive traces in the air. It detects (according to its manufacturerīs specifications) TNT, RDX, PETN and NG. It does not detect peroxides.

I stated "There is no test strip that can detect peroxides in the air above a liquid flask."

This device is neither a test strip nor detects peroxides. My case still stands.

Here is another one that is in use in many airports, read that link as well. Its always nice to have the facts available.
Yes facts: again, not a strip that is waved above a solution. Again, does not detect peroxides (RDX, PETN, TNT, Semtex, TATP, NG, Ammonium Nitrate, Hydrogen Cyanide, Phosgene, SO2, NH3 are listed as detected, as well as some narcotics).

My case still stands.

These are indeed peroxide detection dipstrips. The thing about dipstrips that seems to escape your attention is that they actually require dipping, not waving above a flask.

My case still stands.

The proof has been provided for you. Its common technology that utilizes liquid vapors of the different chemicals. You “might” want to rethink your “professional opinion” just a bit and do some more research.
I detect peroxides for a living. I have done my research (in actual scientific publications, not company websites, by the way), and your links just provide further evidence that "There is no test strip that can detect peroxides in the air above a liquid flask."
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
My case still stands.

I detect peroxides for a living. I have done my research (in actual scientific publications, not company websites, by the way), and your links just provide further evidence that "There is no test strip that can detect peroxides in the air above a liquid flask."

^
Old Jun 29, 2012, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Might want to simplify that a bit.

Since hydrogen peroxide is the #1 "eye drops" issue the TSA seems to have, it might be worth pointing out that on decomposition, 2H2O2 -> 2H20 + O2.

A useless test for a "test strip" that would be waved in the air over the container. Even if there was one.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Caradoc
Might want to simplify that a bit.

Since hydrogen peroxide is the #1 "eye drops" issue the TSA seems to have, it might be worth pointing out that on decomposition, 2H2O2 -> 2H20 + O2.

A useless test for a "test strip" that would be waved in the air over the container. Even if there was one.
It has been a while, but I don't think your equation is balanced. Wouldn't it be:
4H2O2 -> 2H20 + 2O2
?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
It has been a while, but I don't think your equation is balanced. Wouldn't it be:
4H2O2 -> 2H20 + 2O2
?
Yours doesn't balance. You've got 8O on the left and 6O on the right.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: United
Yours doesn't balance. You've got 8O on the left and 6O on the right.
I knew there was a reason that I went into computers and not something that uses organic chemistry.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 1:32 am

I doubt your logic will have any affect on our 'esteemed' representative of the TSA.

I suspect that the air waving strip is literally a bit of 'stage magic' pulled from a mentalist handbook. If you thought that such a strip could work, then some concern would show on your face as they 'tested' your peroxide laden latte that you've been pretending to drink etc.

It's all theatre - even to the shills planted in the FT forums.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by StanSimmons
What are your professional credentials for chemical testing?
They get a full 40 hrs of training. Plus they have years of experience with dangerous chemicals at McBurger. Stop dissing them.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by littlesheep
Plus they have years of experience with dangerous chemicals at McBurger.
"Years?" I doubt that very much.

If anything, it'd be "minutes," from the time they opened the closet to get the mop and drag it into the bathroom before quitting because what they were about to do represented real work.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
If anything, it'd be "minutes," from the time they opened the closet to get the mop and drag it into the bathroom before quitting because what they were about to do represented real work.
I think he's more referring to the food. I'm pretty sure McDoubles glow in the dark.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
I think he's more referring to the food. I'm pretty sure McDoubles glow in the dark.
Well, that explains one mystery.

(Note to self: remove "glows in dark" from list of maladies for next examination.)
Old Jun 30, 2012, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
Yes, she was.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
I doubt your logic will have any affect on our 'esteemed' representative of the TSA.

I suspect that the air waving strip is literally a bit of 'stage magic' pulled from a mentalist handbook. If you thought that such a strip could work, then some concern would show on your face as they 'tested' your peroxide laden latte that you've been pretending to drink etc.

It's all theatre - even to the shills planted in the FT forums.
I on the other hand have a sneaky suspicion it went something like this:

1. TSA purchases thousands of test strips to detect peroxides because they are (unjustifiably, in my opinion) afraid of peroxides.
2. TSOs find out the hard way that passengers donīt like them to dip the strips into their drinks/medicines/etc.
3. Higher TSA power decides to use strips in alternate "waving above flask" manner, without regard for the methodological principles behind the test strips.
4. Testing is deemed a success, because no planes explode because of peroxides.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.