Wiki Posts
Search

Another TSA Bribery Incident?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Tears
Another TSA Bribery Incident?

Heard a very brief mention of a bust today of several TSA agents for accepting bribes. Didn't see anything on any websites so googled. I was quite surprised at how many TSA bribery scandals there've been. Nothing about one today though. Anyone know about it?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:31 pm

I wonder if this is what you heard:
"
LOS ANGELES Two former and current Transportation Security Administration employees have been arrested and indicted on drug conspiracy charges for allegedly allowing large amounts of cocaine and other drugs to pass through security screening at Los Angeles International Airport last year..."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/25...ficking-probe/
Old Apr 25, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
"The actions of a few TSA employees do not reflect..." Yadda, yadda.

Yes, yes they do.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 2:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Briane Grey, acting special agent in charge of the DEA in Los Angeles, said the scheme was particularly reprehensible because it took place at LAX.

The defendants traded on their positions at one the worlds most crucial airport security checkpoints, used their special access for criminal ends, and compromised the safety and security of their fellow citizens for their own profit, he said in a statement.

The indicted screeners are Naral Richardson, 30, and Joy White, 27, who were both fired by TSA last year; and John Whitfield, 23, and Capeline McKinney, 25, both currently employed as screeners. All four have been taken into custody, and face up to life in prison if convicted.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ug-arrest.html

Wonder if the currently employed screeners were arrested on the job. That would have some deterrent value.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
"The actions of a few TSA employees do not reflect..." Yadda, yadda.

Yes, yes they do.
"The unacceptable behavior of these 64,900 individuals in no way reflects the dedication of our nearly 100 Transportation Security officers who work tirelessly to keep our skies safe," the agency said.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.719 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Good - we had hit a dry spell. Of note is that other clerks found the coke at the wrong checkpoint. Of course, we all know that the TSA doesn't look for drugs. When I can get to a desktop, I will look into the Blogdad Bob archives to find out if he dutifully reported on the "good catch" back in February.

If the ex-clerk was smart and had a good lawyer, they should play the illegal search card - nothing to lose at this point.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Los Angeles:4 TSOs indicted for accepting bribes for unfettered access to LAX

Some reporting from the Associated Press' Greg Risling:

Associated Press (posted on Boston dot com)
TSA screeners charged in LA drug trafficking probe

April 25, 2012

A short quote:

A 22-count indictment unsealed Wednesday outlined five incidents where the employees took payments of up to $2,400 to provide drug couriers unfettered access at Los Angeles International Airport over a six-month period last year.
and
Among those arrested and charged are Naral Richardson, 30, of Los Angeles, who was fired by TSA in 2010 and accused of orchestrating the scheme; John Whitfield, 23, of Los Angeles, a current TSA screener; Joy White, 27, of Compton, who was terminated last year; and Capeline McKinney, 25, of Los Angeles, also a current screener.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
CBS News has just posted a picture of the TSA screener being arrested at LAX in uniform by DEA and US Marshal. LINK TO PHOTO AND STORY
Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While we all laugh at this (justifiably), I see two downsides:

1. The American public will more & more think it's OK to run a dragnet at TSA checkpoints. The fourth amendment gets shredded even more than it is now.

2. The American public believes that illegal drugs are a threat to civil aviation. Certainly, the TSA and various LE organizations -- as well as the media -- believe this.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
So if this can happen what's to stop a terrorist from doing the same thing to get a weapon past security.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Some reporting from the Associated Press' Greg Risling:
Oooh! Oooh! I want to be first today!!

"This unfortunate incident in no way reflects on the professionalism and dedication of the 7 TSA employees who risk their lives on the front line in the War on Terror to keep the American people safe...."

Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Tears
Originally Posted by mules
I wonder if this is what you heard:...
I bet that's it.

I have a difficult time believing that so few were involved. When you consider how many folks work (or perhaps, are present) in each checkpoint and they way the move around, I'd think many more would have to at least be aware of what's going on and if not directly participate, get out of the way to let the meateaters allow the drugs through.

Of course, this makes me question once again why we have a war on drugs.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is what happens when you don't properly screen the people you hire.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If any terrorist event ever happens on because of things slipping through screening, it will probably be a TSA guy being bribed, or just inept, that will be the cause.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
If any terrorist event ever happens on because of things slipping through screening, it will probably be a TSA guy being bribed, or just inept, that will be the cause.
Apparently it doesn't take all that much to bribe them either! I wonder how many frequent flyers would pony up $2400 for unscreened and unfettered access to the secure areas. Maybe a new revenue stream has been born!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.