Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another TSA Bribery Incident?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Some reporting from the Associated Press' Greg Risling:
Oooh! Oooh! I want to be first today!!

"This unfortunate incident in no way reflects on the professionalism and dedication of the 7 TSA employees who risk their lives on the front line in the War on Terror to keep the American people safe...."

^^^^

But don't forget to add "this message has been approved by, and brought to by, the TSA Spin Firm of Feh, Blech, Ralph, Belch and Hurl"

The TSA, keeping you safe from bottles of water, shoes and tubes of toothpaste one TSO bribed by drug smugglers at a time
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.719 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Some reporting from the Associated Press' Greg Risling:
Oooh! Oooh! I want to be first today!!

"This unfortunate incident in no way reflects on the professionalism and dedication of the 7 TSA employees who risk their lives on the front line in the War on Terror to keep the American people safe...."

While driving to the MARC station, I just heard Nico himself on WTOP. He assured us that security of air travel was never in jeopardy.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

While driving to the MARC station, I just heard Nico himself on WTOP. He assured us that security of air travel was never in jeopardy.
Nico is either stupid or lying. Maybe both.

When airport security officers are helping criminals bypass screening, security is indeed jeopardized.

I wish someone would ask him the following - "hey Nico, don't you think this was the logical outcome of hiring members of the Crips and Bloods?"
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: SSSSS
Originally Posted by halls120
Nico is either stupid or lying. Maybe both.

When airport security officers are helping criminals bypass screening, security is indeed jeopardized.

I wish someone would ask him the following - "hey Nico, don't you think this was the logical outcome of hiring members of the Crips and Bloods?"
This presupposes the TSA has anything at all to do with airport security. He could be right.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: DL 2.945MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond,
Hey Rico; the mere existence of TSA places air travel in jeopardy.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
These people committed no crime.

They are accused of taking bribes to let drugs through TSA checkpoints. It has been established again and again that the purpose of a TSA checkpoint is to detect threats to aviation safety, not as a general search of travelers for law enforcement purposes.

Therefore, by letting drugs through the checkpoint the TSA agents were not doing their jobs any differently than they should have; any money they received was a gift; and the government was not deprived of their honest services.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 6:51 am

The recent TSA drug case from Hawaii involved LAX. Is this a completely separate case or an extension of that investigation?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.719 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

And he's correct that there was no immediate danger. Drug trafficking is not a threat to aviation security.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by tom911
Picture of the week!

I see a strip search in her future
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
If the TSA were not running a dragnet for possible criminals at the checkpoint, this would not happen. More proof that one real reason for the intense searches is that dragnet.

The defendants traded on their positions at one the worlds most crucial airport security checkpoints, used their special access for criminal ends, and compromised the safety and security of their fellow citizens for their own profit, he said in a statement.
Once again we have TSA leadership stating that searching for criminals = safety and security for travelers.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:21 am

Well,when you hire someone from Compton.......
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:26 am

Could This Be How Cross-Contamination Happens

Just a thought that crossed my mind. Could all the ETDs be checking for drugs rather than what it's supposed to be finding. And because gloves are not changed in between bag checks could innocent people be forced into the "private room" for further checks when it was really the bags with meth or other drugs? Am I off base here?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: *wood Gold
I wonder if the drug traffickers filed the appropriate forms with the IRS for their $2,400 expenditure. Moreover, I wonder if these screeners reported that income to the IRS.

If not, they could be in for more than just jail time or parole. Hopefully they get audited for life by IRS agents who've had their 14 year old daughters felt up by TSA and hold a grudge.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Ex-TSA Screener Gets 70 Months in Prison for Drug Conspiracy

Westside Today Article

"A former Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officer was sentenced on May 5 to nearly six years in federal prison for taking bribes to let kilograms of cocaine to pass through her screening station at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).

Joy White, 29, of Compton pleaded guilty last year to conspiracy to aid in the possession of cocaine with the intent to distribute the drug.

She was among seven people including two former and two then-current TSA screeners indicted in April 2012 in the scheme to smuggle drugs through airport X-ray checkpoints and onto airplanes bound for North Carolina and elsewhere."

How 'bout those background checks? A free pass to bypass "security" at airports. Way to go, TSA.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Originally Posted by tom911
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ug-arrest.html

Wonder if the currently employed screeners were arrested on the job. That would have some deterrent value.
Naral Richardson pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 80 months in prison.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...922-story.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.