Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Congressman Canseco claims he was assaulted during pat-down

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA fallen Gold, Marriott Gold, Priority Pass, Hertz #1 Gold

http://www.kens5.com/news/local/I-TE...148756365.html
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:25 pm

That this happened, I am stunned, stunned I tell you. The TSA blog just stated, for, what, the thousandth time, that they treat everybody with dignity and respect!

That's the reason they moved to nude scanners and full body gropes, err, rub downs over the metal detector. These new methods/money making machines are much more dignifying and respectful.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:55 am

Congressman gets the grope

Congressman Canseco said the patdown went "where no one is supposed to go." He flat out calls it assault.
http://nation.foxnews.com/tsa/2012/0...ouched-my-junk

The video that is at the top of the story is better than the write up. The news reporter has requested the screening video and the request is being "reviewed".

Last edited by mules; Apr 25, 2012 at 7:02 am
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by jtodd
That's the reason they moved to nude scanners and full body gropes, err, rub downs over the metal detector. These new methods/money making machines are much more dignifying and respectful.
That's especially true when a one-striper and a two-striper are overheard joking about how looking at attractive people in the scanner arouses them in a certain manner, and mentioning various names of attractive women they'd like to pat down if policy would permit.

I really wish I'd had my recorder going then - their conversation would have made a nice YouTube post - though these days posting something on YouTube about how TSA screwed up isn't exactly a unique event.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
Grope 218 congressmen and 51 senators, then maybe we'll get some changes... Until then, I don't think congress will be much help.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They Made Friends Twice

If you read the article closely, it states that he was selected for a random groping the following week as well. They called over the cops that time.

He's on the Barney Frank banking committee, so he isn't involved in any TSA-related committees. He's harmless as far as Pissy is concerned.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Maybe members of Congress will force change now that they are experiencing what we've been complaining about for years.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
If you read the article closely, it states that he was selected for a random groping the following week as well. They called over the cops that time.

He's on the Barney Frank banking committee, so he isn't involved in any TSA-related committees. He's harmless as far as Pissy is concerned.
Don't be so sure of that. Most of what happens in congress is based off of traded favors. So not being on a committee doesn't mean you have no influence or power in a particular area. This increasing arrogance may be the TSA's ultimate undoing. Their employees are so ignorant that they don't seem to grasp who controls their purse strings. The American people complaining will have no impact, but if even a small minority in congress finally has enough then the TSA might finally get the kicking it so deservedly needs.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Michael El
Maybe members of Congress will force change now that they are experiencing what we've been complaining about for years.
The only change they'll force is to allow congressman to forego screening.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
The only change they'll force is to allow congressman to forego screening.
Cynical but probably accurate.

I've never forgotten a cartoon I read literally when I was a kid back in the 50s. Two Congressmen are walking away from the Capitol as one says to the other, "I'd hate to have to go out and actually live under some of those laws we just passed."

Many a truth is said in jest.
Old May 4, 2012, 6:59 am

Here is the airport videotape:
http://www.kens5.com/news/I-TEAM-EXC...150109935.html
Old May 4, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Wow, it sure doesn't look like the congressman assaulted the TSO; looks more like the TSO put his hand in the congressman's crotch and the congressman jumped back in surprise and revulsion, as most reasonable people do when sexually assaulted.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Wow, it sure doesn't look like the congressman assaulted the TSO; looks more like the TSO put his hand in the congressman's crotch and the congressman jumped back in surprise and revulsion, as most reasonable people do when sexually assaulted.
Notice later in the video, where the clerks are just waiting for this guy right after he walks through the metal detector. They know who he is, and they're determined to feel him up again. Obvious retaliation.
Old May 17, 2012, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
San Antonio (SAT): Congressman Canseco (R-TX) claims TSA Screener hurt his privates"

Fox News Latino has this news from San Antonio:

Fox News Latino:
'He Hurt My Privates,' Says Angry US Congressman after Airport Pat-Down

Published April 26, 2012

A short quote:
Father-of-three Canseco said, "It's embarrassing to say that, but that's true. I was going through the body scanner, the agent stopped me there and said, 'I'm going to pat you down.'

"I said fine. I lifted my arms up, he starts on my leg, and as he's starting up on my leg he goes up very aggressively, and he hurt me. The natural reaction is to move aside."

The 62-year-old told Politico, "As I moved his hand away, he claims, 'I've been assaulted, I've been assaulted.'"

As the guard urged a cop to arrest the lawmaker, Canseco in turn protested, "Hey, I'm the guy who was assaulted."

In the event neither was arrested over last week's incident.
Maybe SATTSO can provide additional information about this information?
Old May 17, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Happens every day. Most folks are powerless against the TSA aggressors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.