Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Police: TSA agent at JFK stole $5K from passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Police: TSA agent at JFK stole $5K from passenger

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
From http://www.metro.us/newyork/local/ar...from-passenger (bolding mine):

Schmid is accused of removing the money from the jacket, slipping it inside a latex glove and then taking it to the restroom. She is charged with grand larceny. A Port Authority official told Metro the cash has not yet been recovered. Schmid is also being investigated in connection with other thefts of the same manner at the airport.
Kind of goes against the "isolated incident" mantra.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
The scary part of these thefts is that these are the ones who were caught and publicized, how many more thefts occur that are not caught or when caught are quietly told to quit or be charged with the theft.

I would assume that it would look bad on an FSD or AFSD’s record if any of their screeners are caught stealing and to protect themselves and their high paying government jobs, they will do anything to keep this out of the public.

As I have said before, since the TSA considers every passenger a potential terrorist until cleared, I consider every TSA screener a potential thief when going through security. While there are many honest screeners out there, unfortunately for them there are way to many dishonest screeners employed by the TSA.

Mr. Elliott
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by NWstu
Before TSA, was there a commensurate amount of such incidents reported with the private screeners or is there now just greater access and dissemination of these incidents these days because of the internet?
Neither.

What has changed is that TSA has implemented procedures that make it far easier to steal from passengers.

Thanks to TSA:
  1. Your checked luggage can no longer be secured with a real lock.
  2. You are not allowed to retain your cash on your person during the screening process.
  3. You are separated from your carry-on luggage, your cash, your valuables and other belongings during screening.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Neither.[*]You are not allowed to retain your cash on your person during the screening process.[/LIST]
When I travel, I frequently keep my cash (not coins) folded in half in a pants pocket, separate from my wallet. One, it makes purchases easier and faster. Two, in the unlikely event that I am robbed (has never happened), I would be more easily able to hand over cash without losing my wallet.

I have made plenty of trips through WTMDs with cash in my pocket. If I refuse a NoS and choose a grope, what will the TS"O" do upon finding the cash...if they find it at all?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by eturowski
I am quite pleased that the TSA is gaining media coverage again for this epidemic of crime. It is much easier for infrequent fliers to sympathize with multiple complaints of stolen money and iPads than it is for them to label the anti-TSA crowd as "conspiracy theorists" and "people who are paranoid about radiation and electromagnetic energy."

Maybe, just maybe, if this keeps up, the camel's back will finally break.
What we need is something that will finally infuriate the two toughest groups to crack:

- Pro-TSAers: People who think the TSA is the only thing preventing 9/11-style attacks from occurring on a daily basis.

- Don't-carers: People who might see the uselessness, but it's just a part of the cost of being in the Greatest Country on Earth(TM), and that flyers should just shut up and deal with it. Freedom isn't free.

These two groups like to grab their bag/purse off the X-ray exit belt without checking to make sure their iPad is still there. When they get to the gate and sit down, only to find their iPad missing, one of two things will happen:

1- It happens to enough people, they draw a line to the TSA, and here comes the public outrage, or

2- It gets chalked up to a random pick-pocketing, and the TSA will be off the hook. Any suggestion that it was a TS"O" would be met with "They're federal officers; they would never do such a thing!"
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:58 pm

A good reminder. I don't always do this but should -- I place myself out of the way and take a moment between ID check and screening to put all my valuables deep inside my carry on, lock all zippers, and put the key in a side pocket.

Anyway rustling around my bag won't get far, and they'll need my presence to open my bag.

Sadly this doesn't help my laptop - but I place that between shows and carry on so at least it's "sandwiched" between my belongings in the chute.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
"The actions of this isolated individual does not reflect on the tens of thousands of other dedicated TSA employees......... because they haven't been caught yet."
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
The scary part of these thefts is that these are the ones who were caught and publicized, how many more thefts occur that are not caught or when caught are quietly told to quit or be charged with the theft.

I would assume that it would look bad on an FSD or AFSD’s record if any of their screeners are caught stealing and to protect themselves and their high paying government jobs, they will do anything to keep this out of the public.

As I have said before, since the TSA considers every passenger a potential terrorist until cleared, I consider every TSA screener a potential thief when going through security. While there are many honest screeners out there, unfortunately for them there are way to many dishonest screeners employed by the TSA.

Mr. Elliott
Actually, statically it's MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more likely that a random TSA screener is a thief than a pax is a potential terrorist. To the tune of millions to one in fact...
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:43 pm

How many terrorists has TSA caught? A big fat ZERO!

How many TSAers have been caught for stealing and various other criminal acts??? Hundreds or possibly more.

Who is the real threat here?

I rest my case.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:35 pm

When you fly, you should expect to be robbed. Carry nothing of value. If you think any higher of the TSA, then you're naive. Everytime I see TSA, i think crook.

The only way to stop the thievery is to stop flying altogether until the airline industry is dead.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by candi
When you fly, you should expect to be robbed. Carry nothing of value. If you think any higher of the TSA, then you're naive. Everytime I see TSA, i think crook.
When you consider what the TSA employees are already doing just to get a paycheck, it becomes much easier to understand why they'd steal.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Schmid is accused of removing the money from the jacket, slipping it inside a latex glove and then taking it to the restroom. She is charged with grand larceny. A Port Authority official told Metro the cash has not yet been recovered. Schmid is also being investigated in connection with other thefts of the same manner at the airport.
Tucked away for safe keeping and nothing but a complete invasive search would have found the money.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by mahohmei
When I travel, I frequently keep my cash (not coins) folded in half in a pants pocket, separate from my wallet. One, it makes purchases easier and faster. Two, in the unlikely event that I am robbed (has never happened), I would be more easily able to hand over cash without losing my wallet.

I have made plenty of trips through WTMDs with cash in my pocket. If I refuse a NoS and choose a grope, what will the TS"O" do upon finding the cash...if they find it at all?
I do the same when I transit the checkpoint. Everything in my pockets - cash excepted - gets locked inside my laptop case. My cash stays in my pocket. WTMD poses no problem. I opt out of the NoS.

When the fondler asks me if I have anything in my pockets I produce my cash and hold it in my hand. Sometimes (~30%) the fondler will ask me to fan the bills out to show that there is nothing but cash. When that happens I do so and audibly count it.

Only once did a fondler demand that my cash leave my hand. On that occasion I laid it on the floor and stood on it with one foot.

If the fondler chooses to comment on my precautions I explain that I've had TSA steal from me twice and I don't intend to be a victim a third time and that it is much more likely that he is a thief than I am a terrorist.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by mahohmei
I have made plenty of trips through WTMDs with cash in my pocket.
Actually, I keep my entire wallet (minus change) in my pocket while going thru WTMDs.

Most passengers don't do this because TSOs are usually yelling at passengers that their pockets need to be completely empty, even at WTMD lanes.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Actually, I keep my entire wallet (minus change) in my pocket while going thru WTMDs.

Most passengers don't do this because TSOs are usually yelling at passengers that their pockets need to be completely empty, even at WTMD lanes.
Good point; I guess there's nothing in a wallet that will trip a WTMD. I have learned, however, the hard way, that cell phones will set off WTMDs. Fortunately, this was at the City Hall, where the guard simply told me to back up, put my phone on the belt, and try again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.