Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Police: TSA agent at JFK stole $5K from passenger

Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:11 am
Original Poster

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/02...rom-passenger/

Yet another reason to demand that your belongings be visible if you're opting out.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by saulblum

Yet another reason to demand that your belongings be visible if you're opting out.
At this point, it's a safe bet that any TSA employee who does not insist that you keep your eyes on your own stuff is planning on stealing something from you.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:20 am

At what point will they admit that these incidents DO reflect poorly on the 50,000 screeners?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Is this theft by the TSA employees never ending? I guess not.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If TSA had some leadership perhaps the continuing reports of TSA employee wrong doing would get some attention.

MIA, DFW, JFK and those are just the latest reports of TSA Thieves!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Caradoc
At this point, it's a safe bet that any TSA employee who does not insist that you keep your eyes on your own stuff is planning on stealing something from you.
When you opt out of the NoS, you get to tell the TS"O":

- "I want to watch you pull a fresh pair of gloves out of the box."
- "By 'resistance', do you mean my testicles and penis? Yes or no?"

So how would this go?

Me: "My belongings are right there, I insist on having full view of them while you grope me."

TS"O": "No, you can't have view of your belongings."

Me: "Not true; you actually want to steal my belongings. I want a law enforcement officer here right now."

Forget having a LEO witness the grope; I want a LEO to watch my belongings during the grope.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq
At what point will they admit that these incidents DO reflect poorly on the 50,000 screeners?
They never will because they and we know damn well it does.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq
Most likely, the leadership will NOT - not within Homeland Security!

Wait, the chains of command or the bucks doesn't simply stop there, it goes higher & higher.

So, it's now no longer an isolated case as "innocent until proven guilty ..." but several "agents" assigned to different facilities, unrelated and not patterned meltdown of the system ... (as I can hear/see/read about the rationale coming to their defenses)

It's hard to believe that EWR and LGA are off the charts on theft, given their records lately (shocking as it might be)
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold

It is amazing how many Kettles don't know this.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If TSA had some leadership perhaps the continuing reports of TSA employee wrong doing would get some attention.
Schmid, who lived in Brooklyn, had worked for the TSA for 4 years, TSA spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/02...#ixzz1lFidctCF
What makes you think the leadership doesn't know about the thefts and is getting a cut of the profits? How else can you explain 4.5 years of thefts? Or the sudden decision by a 4.5 year "veteran" of the TSA suddenly choosing to take that risk, knowing full well how many of their co-workers have been doing it for years without facing the music?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
FoxNews hacked-off a great AP article about TSA Officers who've been caught stealin'

Foxnews posted a short, hacked-off snippet (only five paragraphs) of the AP article. The full version of the AP article is posted elsewhere, including at the Washington Post:

Associated Press:
Police: TSA agent at JFK stole $5K from passenger, latest in series of TSA theft allegations

February 2, 2012
(Posted at Washington Post dot com)

The full AP article is great!

The AP tells us how long the arrested Transportation Security Officer had been employed by TSA (4.5 years), then includes the obligatory TSA Spokesperson "very high standards" quote, then contrasts those "high standards" against TSA's actual performance.

Here's a short quote:

The 31-year-old Schmid was arrested on a charge of grand larceny and suspended pending an investigation. Her attorney’s name wasn’t immediately known.

Schmid, who lived in Brooklyn, had worked for the TSA for 4 years, TSA spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein said.

“We do hold our officers to very high standards, and we have a zero tolerance policy for theft in the workplace,” Farbstein said.

It’s the latest in a series of recent theft allegations against TSA employees:
The article then describes the criminal acts committed by TSA Officers at DFW, MIA, JFK and NEW, devoting a paragraph to each airport.

Again, the full AP article is great. The AP has a great format for covering TSA: Describe latest arrest, insert obligatory "highest standards" guote from TSA spokesperson, then shred the TSA quote by simply listing recent arrests of TSA officers at other airports.

Last edited by RatherBeOnATrain; Feb 2, 2012 at 12:30 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
I am quite pleased that the TSA is gaining media coverage again for this epidemic of crime. It is much easier for infrequent fliers to sympathize with multiple complaints of stolen money and iPads than it is for them to label the anti-TSA crowd as "conspiracy theorists" and "people who are paranoid about radiation and electromagnetic energy."

Maybe, just maybe, if this keeps up, the camel's back will finally break.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Foxnews posted a short, hacked-off snippet (only five paragraphs) of the AP article. The full version of the AP article is posted elsewhere, including at the Washington Post:

Associated Press:
Police: TSA agent at JFK stole $5K from passenger, latest in series of TSA theft allegations

February 2, 2012
(Posted at Washington Post dot com)

The full AP article is great!

The AP tells us how long the arrested Transportation Security Officer had been employed by TSA (4.5 years), then includes the obligatory TSA Spokesperson "very high standards" quote, then contrasts those "high standards" against TSA's actual performance.

Here's a short quote:

The 31-year-old Schmid was arrested on a charge of grand larceny and suspended pending an investigation. Her attorneys name wasnt immediately known.

We do hold our officers to very high standards, and we have a zero tolerance policy for theft in the workplace, Farbstein said.

Its the latest in a series of recent theft allegations against TSA employees:
The article then describes the criminal acts committed by TSA Officers at DFW, MIA, JFK and NEW, devoting a paragraph to each airport.

Again, the full AP article is great. The AP has a great format for covering TSA: Describe latest arrest, insert obligatory "highest standards" guote from TSA spokesperson, then shred the TSA quote by simply listing recent arrests of TSA officers at other airports.
I think I'll carry this article around in case I ever get the TSO again who told me that I didn't have to worry about watching my bags because no "federal officer," as he described the crew, had ever stolen anything from a passenger.

Mike
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Yep, she will go to jail for 6-months and she can't be touching the money from passenger' jacket. No one should taken the foreign currency from passengers' jacket. This is zero tolerance policy. This is not acceptable for her behavior at airport. She will eventually to termination from her job.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Before TSA, was there a commensurate amount of such incidents reported with the private screeners or is there now just greater access and dissemination of these incidents these days because of the internet?

Best analogy would be there being just as many pedophiles when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's but seeming as if there are more now because people are able to access sex offender lists by state and other resources. Ignorance was bliss.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.