Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Occupy with Cupcakes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fishferbrains
Love this idea!

A bake sale for a charity (creative ideas please) and a handy "this baked good is not a threat" note that can be placed w/cupcakes in trays through the scanner.

Of course frosting just might rub off on the tubs.
See my post above and add your little sign. I love it.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Actually what would be more fun is for each of us to take cupcake through security, generic, no jar, and then just leave it behind. When they say you left your cupcake, shout back on the way to your gate "It's yours! Heard you like 'em."
Make sure they are rock-solid, 3 weeks past their prime....
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by JoeBas
TSA is the one wasting food. If they don't steal the cakes will be eaten.
+1 ^ TSA's presence is a joke, a national disgrace, wasting our deficit-financed tax dollars - "Cupcakegate" is a symboic reflection of the agency and its incompetence in security theatrics.

I respectfully disagreed about this being a waste of food and even as such, consumed far less resources than having blue shirts with thousands standing around as the Terror Showcase Agency & its generated waste.

Let's see, how about Tuesday, Feb. 14th. (it's Valentine's Day) and this might be a good day to stage this event across the country's airport on a random, unspecific basis - as we learn previously they will be prepared with counter-measures.

For variety beyond the now infamous National (Security) Velvet - chocolate moouse in a cup, creme brulee (top off caramel, skip the flambee) in a ramekin, miniature baked appled pies, coconut egg custard tarts, etc. - under 3.3 oz or 100 ml. net, securely packaged & neatly wrapped as carry-ons (gate-checked luggage ??) ... I can only begin to imagine the reactions of TSA's counterparts at foreign airports should they be asked to conduct additional checks on non-stop flights direct to the US, LOL.

Cupcakegate - TSA still not realizing what they've done to themselves in this latest round, digging deeper with risks for drowning in quicksand and the rising tide against them.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA, WN, HA, VX, HHonors
Well why not get the TSA involved? I'm sure they would agree to not wasting food, keeping the enviroment safe, and supporting charities. I don't like water bottles, cans and food in unopened containers being tossed in trash cans. Perhaps we FT'ers should all, write, and talk to the TSA asking them to set up food banks behind the CP lines. They can toss all that stuff into the appropriate bins and haul it off to charities. If I get through with a cupcake, I'm eating it on the plane. But if they take it away, let THEM decide to either trash it or do what's right. Afterall, they know they're confiscating food, otherwise they would be tossing it into blast-proof trash cans like you find in Israeli airports. But right now, none of us are throwing any of that food and drinks away---THEY ARE.

Remember (if you read) the forum about what to do with the money PAX leave behind at CPs, and how a legislator wants it to go to the USO? I'm sure the USO would be more than happy to pass out donated cupcakes to our troops. It also makes more convenient for me. I can donate to the USO by heading straight to the CP instead of stopping at the USO lounge first.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA, WN, HA, VX, HHonors
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
+1 ^ Let's see, how about Tuesday, Feb. 14th. (it's Valentine's Day) and this might be a good day to stage this event across the country's airport on a random, unspecific basis - as we learn previously they will be prepared with counter-measures.
There you go. Valentines Day goes with cupcakes. Forget the random basis though. Let them know we're coming--with cupcakes---and so we suggest they get their food charity bins out and not be wasteful government employees. The choice is theirs......either let us have it, or donate it.

Last edited by Burfey; Jan 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:24 pm

How about a couple of Moon Pies in a Mason Jar? (I am from Nashville, after all.)
Maybe Goalie can tell us how to make fake moonpies out of old hockey pucks. No one would lose a tooth, because we know TSOs would never risk eating anything they confiscate, out of an abundance of caution.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:23 pm

This is the worst idea I have ever heard. Absolutely retarded.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Globalist
This sound like some fun while doing MRs.
Anybody know a decent place to buy these in Dallas/Plano?
(Although I think I'll end up eating them before going to the airport)
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, Hertz Gold #1 5*, Avis First, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
+1 ^ Let's see, how about Tuesday, Feb. 14th. (it's Valentine's Day) and this might be a good day to stage this event across the country's airport on a random, unspecific basis - as we learn previously they will be prepared with counter-measures.
I second the idea for Feb 14th... ^
If nothing else spread some love for the screening clerks with cupcakes
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
This is the worst idea I have ever heard. Absolutely retarded.
While you are fully entitled to your opinion and I'm not trying to persuade you in any direction... the sheer stupidity of not allow cupcakes in jars but allowing just cupcakes and just empty jars to pass though a security checkpoint struck a chord in me.

Bob (God bless his soul) claims that cupcakes packed in a jar are dangerous; then
  • Why are cupcakes allowed in the first place? Ban all edible goods with some sort of "gel" in them.
  • Why discard the potentially dangerous jar in a bin at the checkpoint. I'd say call the bomb squad to dispose it.

As said before in numerous places, the TSA is one huge firm with a lot of ill-trained low-paid actors performing silly roles. The clerk that objected to the cupcake-in-a-jar at LAS airport, IMHO, was on a power trip. If cupcakes in jars can be forbidden on the whims (or "professional judgement") of a lowly clerk in the agency, what happens when I try to carry on an aged steak? For all practical purposes, it has enough collagen that has formed jelly that is should be considered a "gel." Will the clerk at LAS insist that I not take my scrumptious 12 oz steak?

Instead of assuaging the negative opinions received, Bob posts a blog rationalizing the behavior. In my naive mind, the cupcakegate incident was right out of the scripts of a Monty Python skit (apologies to all Monty Python fans - I don't believe the TSA to be capable of orchestrating something even close to Graham Chapman & crew); but Bob's response as a public employee is alarming. My simple proposal is to show the non-effectiveness of the arbitrary nature in which the agency and its minions (oops... employees) are implementing civil aviation security.

Last edited by Jupiter's Ally; Jan 12, 2012 at 1:19 am Reason: Added apology to Monty Python
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Burfey
There you go. Valentines Day goes with cupcakes. Forget the random basis though. Let them know we're coming--with cupcakes---and so we suggest they get their food charity bins out and not be wasteful government employees. The choice is theirs......either let us have it, or donate it.
Love the idea for a bake-sale on site with donating the "surrendered" ones to charity... twice the good to humanity
Though I'm not sure about the logistics of getting a permit to hold one on most airports near the checkpoints.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:36 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
hmm how about make pastries/cupcake with Ex-lax or other agents, and take them with you when you travel.

Then when TSA employees gets hungry and steals (oh Im sorry forces the "Surrender") the pastries/cupcakes and eats them (probably the case that started this whole mess) the jokes on them. They cant complain as there the ones that misappropriated them in the first place.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: Double Unobtainium, Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Co.
Originally Posted by JoeBas
TSA is the one wasting food. If they don't steal the cakes will be eaten.
Something makes me think that the cakes will be eaten even if TSA does steal/confiscate/disallow them into the sterile area.

Perhaps insulin vials should be added to the carryons in question, since TSA will have all these extra cupcakes on their hands.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: Double Unobtainium, Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Co.
Maybe I can get some Buffalo Trace White Dog through as a medicinal liquid. Heck, I'll just divide it up in 3 oz bottles.
I've gotten vermouth onto the plane in miniature plastic bottles (in the Kippie bag) with no problems. I like a cocktail while aloft, and sometimes you want more than the highballs that the airlines sell.

And the Buff Trace White Dog is 125 proof, well below the 140-proof (70% abv) ceiling for FAA-defined hazmats.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Vidiot
I've gotten vermouth onto the plane in miniature plastic bottles (in the Kippie bag) with no problems. I like a cocktail while aloft, and sometimes you want more than the highballs that the airlines sell.

And the Buff Trace White Dog is 125 proof, well below the 140-proof (70% abv) ceiling for FAA-defined hazmats.
Is it anything like Everclear?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.