Occupy with Cupcakes

Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, Hertz Gold #1 5*, Avis First, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Lightbulb Occupy with Cupcakes

Given the recent response from Bob to Cupcakegate, I humbly propose the following to the FT community... Occupy with Cupcakes

Let us consider one day in the next month (that we can all mutually agree upon), to fly with cupcakes inside bottles. Bob mentions on his blog that such items are dangerous and will be confiscated (oops... surrendered) at the security check-point. At the end of the day or shift, I would consider this Occupy movement a success if there is a huge pile of cupcakes in bottles at check-points in major airports. If cupcakes-in-bottles are as dangerous as Bob makes them out to be, would the TSA summon the local bomb squad for appropriate disposal?

I know the Occupy with Cupcakes might sound silly, but let the rest of the civilized world understand where we in the US (unfortunately) stand on serious matters of civil aviation security. If the TSA seriously wishes to enforce the cupcake-in-a-bottle ban, then let's have some fun along the way.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jupiter's Ally
Given the recent response from Bob to Cupcakegate, I humbly propose the following to the FT community... Occupy with Cupcakes

Let us consider one day in the next month (that we can all mutually agree upon), to fly with cupcakes inside bottles. Bob mentions on his blog that such items are dangerous and will be confiscated (oops... surrendered) at the security check-point. At the end of the day or shift, I would consider this Occupy movement a success if there is a huge pile of cupcakes in bottles at check-points in major airports. If cupcakes-in-bottles are as dangerous as Bob makes them out to be, would the TSA summon the local bomb squad for appropriate disposal?

I know the Occupy with Cupcakes might sound silly, but let the rest of the civilized world understand where we in the US (unfortunately) stand on serious matters of civil aviation security. If the TSA seriously wishes to enforce the cupcake-in-a-bottle ban, then let's have some fun along the way.
How about a couple of Moon Pies in a Mason Jar? (I am from Nashville, after all.)
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
It will not be considered a success if you hold up the many people who are just looking to travel as smoothly as possible and want to get through security for their flights.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, Hertz Gold #1 5*, Avis First, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
It will not be considered a success if you hold up the many people who are just looking to travel as smoothly as possible and want to get through security for their flights.
Absolutely agree with you... ^
No point in inconveniencing the general travelers (or those not so interested in this exercise).

The point of Occupy with Cupcakes is to demonstrate the silliness and arbitrariness of the cupcakes-in-jars ban. I would humbly suggest that all FTers cooperate with the security checkpoint staff; even going out on a limb to declare the presence of a cupcake-in-a-jar.
IMHO, success could be declared when social media lights up with pictures of cupcakes-in-jars lying around security checkpoints.

@Ink - please feel free to substitute any edible baked good with icing / frosting and place it in a jar
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

this is just plain environmentally unfriendly. Waste of glass jars, waste of food, waste of resources in having to dispose of the food.

We make think this is amusing in a first world country to waste food like that, there are millions of starving people, and many homeless in America who would not think so.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:53 pm

TSA is the one wasting food. If they don't steal the cakes will be eaten.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
this is just plain environmentally unfriendly. Waste of glass jars, waste of food, waste of resources in having to dispose of the food.

We make think this is amusing in a first world country to waste food like that, there are millions of starving people, and many homeless in America who would not think so.
You do raise a good point. It would be great if someone at TSA arranged to have all the toxic, dangerous confiscated items recycled - all those water bottles and liquor bottles. Why not? They clearly sort through the stuff because they market things like multi-tools on Ebay.

And I'd be happy to 'donate' a cupcake made out of used sponge and frosted with shaving cream, if that would make it any better.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it just occurred to me... wouldn't it have been fantastic marketing if someone from the above said cup cake company had taken one of their own products through security and had it confiscated? (I'm guessing someone somewhere has cross checked the story to see if the passenger is not an employee of the company )

this has been the most amazing advertisement for the cup cakes themselves (they look delicious!!)
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
How about a couple of Moon Pies in a Mason Jar? (I am from Nashville, after all.)
Why limit yourself? You should bring a whole bunch of different baked goods in various containers capable of holding liquids so we can further clarify what is allowed and what isn't.

SNL explained to us years ago that turkey sandwiches are okay even if they've been through a blender or have an abundance of mustard. And now Bob has explained the cupcakes in jars are dangerous. We need to find the line.

I NEED TO KNOW if I can bring a moonpie in a mason jar, a croissant in a carafe, a bagel in a bowl, tiramisu in tupperware....

Last edited by themicah; Jan 11, 2012 at 7:14 pm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe

Even the most cynical FTers would agree with you that wasting food isn't funny.

You do have to consider that "cupcakes" for starving, homeless people doesn't help their nutrition deficits and only perpetuates the obesity problem in the US.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
You do raise a good point. It would be great if someone at TSA arranged to have all the toxic, dangerous confiscated items recycled - all those water bottles and liquor bottles. Why not? They clearly sort through the stuff because they market things like multi-tools on Ebay.
When they first started stealing toiletries from passengers, the TSA manager at some airport (I forget which) tried to donate all the toothpaste and shampoo and whatnot to a homeless shelter. Because apparently it's okay to blow up homeless people with dangerous explosive liquids, just not airplanes.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:15 pm

Probably better than Moon Shine in a Mason jar (almost certain to get trashed).

I dunno about this... the TSA has been preoccupied with cupcakes for awhile now already...

It could however, be fun to hold a bake sale at the airport! Lots and LOTS of cup-cakes!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by loops
Probably better than Moon Shine in a Mason jar (almost certain to get trashed).

I dunno about this... the TSA has been preoccupied with cupcakes for awhile now already...

It could however, be fun to hold a bake sale at the airport! Lots and LOTS of cup-cakes!
Maybe I can get some Buffalo Trace White Dog through as a medicinal liquid. Heck, I'll just divide it up in 3 oz bottles.

Actually what would be more fun is for each of us to take cupcake through security, generic, no jar, and then just leave it behind. When they say you left your cupcake, shout back on the way to your gate "It's yours! Heard you like 'em."
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by loops
Love this idea!

A bake sale for a charity (creative ideas please) and a handy "this baked good is not a threat" note that can be placed w/cupcakes in trays through the scanner.

Of course frosting just might rub off on the tubs.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:42 pm

Maybe I can get some Buffalo Trace White Dog through as a medicinal liquid. Heck, I'll just divide it up in 3 oz bottles.
ok, that should work, except you will get trashed if you drink it all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.