Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Crew Priority at check-points

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2011, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Signal or no signal, it is more efficient and reasonable to keep crew groups together because of the different level and intensity of screening. There is no need to make the xray operator have to discern what type of screening is required on individual bags if not necessary.
I disagree with the different levels of screening, but that's another issue.

Originally Posted by zeikka
I understand that crews fly for work, but so do I 90%+ of the time. If I was habitually late to work or just plain rude to them (as in cutting in front without saying anything), I'd be fired.
This. Especially since I had all my stuff ready to go.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Unless it was the first day of their trip, the crew showed up to work days ago. From then on, they're on the clock. Since there are required rest periods, time spent waiting at a checkpoint cuts into their work day, which could easily cause delayed flights later in the day to be cancelled due to them timing out.
so what? Airlines should figure this into their schedules for crew, as should everyone else. I don't get to go in the HOV lane on the way to work.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Most airports that I frequent have separate crew lines which is the best idea. Crew DO turn up to work on-time, in the USA they are not paid until push back I believe. The crew could be delayed in the queues, thus increasing plane delays.

If you want to be able to queue jump why not apply to an airline to be a flight attendant?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:18 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Combat Medic
Originally Posted by goalie
While some may consider it annoying, it is a "necessary evil" as if the crew is delayed at the checkpoint, then their flight could be (n.b. could be) delayed so my sop is to always let uniformed crew (n.b uniformed crew) always go ahead of me
Or the crew could show up to work with enough time to get through the checkpoint ontime. You know, kindof like I have to.
Sorry, but I don't get it as we're talking about what? An additional one minute per employee getting screened? And if it's 5 employees that's 5 minutes so with that, let's add 5 more minutes for sake of argument for a net of 10 minutes and if 10 minutes is gonna make a pax late for their flight, then imho, the pax got to the airport too late to begin with
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: United
Sorry, but I don't get it as we're talking about what? An additional one minute per employee getting screened? And if it's 5 employees that's 5 minutes so with that, let's add 5 more minutes for sake of argument for a net of 10 minutes and if 10 minutes is gonna make a pax late for their flight, then imho, the pax got to the airport too late to begin with
OK, so if the flight crew cutting in front of the pax makes the pax late then the pax got there without enough time. I'm still at the position that the flight crew should show up so that they don't need to cut.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I feel your pain, but if it's any consolation, I did the same thing to an entire flight crew in the pre-clearance area of T3. They were waiting in the crew line and I needed to get to the Nexus console - I had to nudge them all out of the way (they refused to move aside for me when I asked), and when I found the Nexus machine was broken, I cut them all off and went directly to the inspector for my clearance.

If you're ready to push your things into the x-ray, that is not the place for them to cut you off and you should have spoken up and told them to get behind you, or just pulled their tray back and put yours in front.

I know the theory is to be non-confrontational, but I lost my patience with stupidity at the airport eons ago and I just find it much easier to be territorial and get through the process at my own speed and not allow myself to be bullied or swept aside by authority figures with a false sense of authority. Either put your foot down and take your rightful claim to your space and position, or don't be annoyed when someone pushes you aside.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
OK, so if the flight crew cutting in front of the pax makes the pax late then the pax got there without enough time. I'm still at the position that the flight crew should show up so that they don't need to cut.
It is worse when multiple crews all show up and butt in to the same line (and often the elite line). They should mix it up a bit.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I don't think this was directed at me (OP), but anyways -

I got there with plenty of time to spare. I was ready to go put my things through the scanner and walk thru the WTMD. They cut in front of me even though I was ready to go. That is what I'm ranting about.

So what if the crew had to wait the 1 minute for me to clear the x-ray and WTMD? If they're going to be late because it took me 1 minute to clear security, then the crew got to the airport too late to begin with.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca

I got there with plenty of time to spare. I was ready to go put my things through the scanner and walk thru the WTMD. They cut in front of me even though I was ready to go. That is what I'm ranting about.

So what if the crew had to wait the 1 minute for me to clear the x-ray and WTMD? If they're going to be late because it took me 1 minute to clear security, then the crew got to the airport too late to begin with.
What happens when a crew of 6 gets to the airport and there are already 3 other crews of 6 in the line ahead of them? Will they be 18 minutes late and thus delay departure? Do crews cut in front of other crews when they're in a hurry, or do they only cut in front of paying passengers?

They need to arrive at the checkpoint well enough in advance to clear screening in the event of a line, just like anyone else who needs to clear screening.

I support the idea of a separate line for screening aircraft crews, but it ought to be in the employee-only section of the terminal, not mixed in with pax, simply for this reason. Crews with tighter schedules could be given priority - which pax with tighter schedules cannot - and there is no confusion for the poor, overworked TSO manning the x-ray scanner, trying to remember, "Oh, this one's a passenger, I need to be alert for cupcakes, but that one's a pilot, so I don't need to check his bag as thoroughly..."
Old Jan 1, 2012, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by OxonCantab
so what? Airlines should figure this into their schedules for crew, as should everyone else.
If airlines have to allow worst-case checkpoint delays into their flight schedules, it means significantly lower "productivity" out of the crew. That's an extra expense for the airlines (yes, I understand the "so what" argument, but my point is that this isn't just a convenience issue).
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca

No, not directed at you (or anyone else for that matter ). I just have a different viewpoint on this subject than others . Have I encountered "pushy" flight crews cutting in line? Yes. Have I encountered polite flight crews who ask if they can cut in front of me? Yes. Like all of us, we each have our own opinion and for me, I personally don't think it's a big deal .
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:13 am
Suspended

No, not directed at you (or anyone else for that matter ). I just have a different viewpoint on this subject than others . Have I encountered "pushy" flight crews cutting in line? Yes. Have I encountered polite flight crews who ask if they can cut in front of me? Yes. Like all of us, we each have our own opinion and for me, I personally don't think it's a big deal .
Right, but I think if I were hip-checked by anyone at the airport, I would not be so willing to let that person cut ahead of me in line.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by OxonCantab
Right, but I think if I were hip-checked by anyone at the airport, I would not be so willing to let that person cut ahead of me in line.
I didn't see any earlier references to hip-checking someone to open up space in the line in this thread but that (done by pax or crew) IS rude AND wrong and should be addressed when it happens. It has happened to me with both crew and pax literally shoving me out of the way and I have not so politely (and rather loudly if I may add) told them that "there is no need to shove me out of the way as if it is THAT important for you to go in front of me, by all means go ahead but be polite about it" (with the bolded part for emphasis as I say that part loud enough for others to hear)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.