Search

Candy shuts down checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Candy shuts down checkpoint

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...-airport-alarm

The bag of one person going through the checkpoint contained some candy and also a suspicious-looking iPod.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:49 pm

Oh dear... An iPod. How does an iPod look suspicious?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Another plot foiled by the TSA.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:09 pm

And read the following comment by a passenger who claims to have been at the checkpoint when this unfolded.

I would like to set the record straight. I, along with 7 other people on my small commuter flight alone missed our flight. According to American Airlines officials, TSA never alerted the airline to the delay and this could have been avoided with minimal communication between TSA and the airline. There were no other flights available that would get me to Honolulu today yet, so American Airlines re-booked me on the next available flight tomorrow morning.

TSA required everyone to exit the security line and wait in an area about 20-30 feet away. I heard all the boarding calls for my flight and alerted a TSA agent who indicated that they didn't know if flights would be held. There was no organized reopening of the line and no preference was given to those who needed to catch flights or to those who had already been waiting in line, so I waited in a now much longer line and watched my flight leave from the security line as I stood by helplessly. Had they given preference to departing flights, I would be halfway back to Honolulu by now.

TSA also refused to communicate the reason for the closure even after the security line was reopened. American Airlines officials were visibly displeased by the handling of the incident by TSA.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Oh dear... An iPod. How does an iPod look suspicious?
Oh, mama!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Stupid is as stupid does.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Not surprised it was GRR

For much of the year, Delta's website had a prominent notice warning travelers about incompetent TSA security at GRR:

• Effective immediately, Airport check-in for Delta operated flights departing from Grand Rapids, MI (GRR) has changed. We recommend that you arrive at the airport 90 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time and check in at least 60 minutes prior to departure.
Here's a thread in the Delta forum: Long Check-In Requirements for . . . GRR!?!?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
One has to love the TSA mentality and the logic they use.

TSA spokesman James Fotenos emailed the following statement to The Press regarding Wednesday's checkpoint closure:

Shortly after 12 p.m. EST at Gerald R Ford International Airport (GRR), a suspicious item alarmed during screening at the TSA security checkpoint in Concourse B. To ensure the safety of the traveling public, the checkpoint was temporarily closed and a perimeter was established. The item was cleared and normal screening operations resumed by 12:30 p.m. EST. There was no impact to flight operations and no delays incurred.

No flights were delayed. So what if we didn't let any of the passengers get to those flights, or tell the airlines what was going on so they could hold the flights, it's important that we did not delay any flights. For some reason though the load on those flights was quite light.

Really a terrorist bag of candy?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by saulblum
And read the following comment by a passenger who claims to have been at the checkpoint when this unfolded.
I would like to set the record straight. I, along with 7 other people on my small commuter flight alone missed our flight. According to American Airlines officials, TSA never alerted the airline to the delay and this could have been avoided with minimal communication between TSA and the airline. There were no other flights available that would get me to Honolulu today yet, so American Airlines re-booked me on the next available flight tomorrow morning.
Doesn't AA (American Eagle?) deserve some blame here? Eight (8) checked-in passengers didn't board a 50-person commuter jet, yet the gate agent didn't bother to check with the TSA checkpoint to see if there was a holdup?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by saulblum

TSA required everyone to exit the security line and wait in an area about 20-30 feet away. I heard all the boarding calls for my flight and alerted a TSA agent who indicated that they didn't know if flights would be held. There was no organized reopening of the line and no preference was given to those who needed to catch flights or to those who had already been waiting in line, so I waited in a now much longer line and watched my flight leave from the security line as I stood by helplessly. Had they given preference to departing flights, I would be halfway back to Honolulu by now.

TSA also refused to communicate the reason for the closure even after the security line was reopened. American Airlines officials were visibly displeased by the handling of the incident by TSA.
Originally Posted by cordelli
One has to love the TSA mentality and the logic they use.

TSA spokesman James Fotenos emailed the following statement to The Press regarding Wednesday's checkpoint closure:

Shortly after 12 p.m. EST at Gerald R Ford International Airport (GRR), a suspicious item alarmed during screening at the TSA security checkpoint in Concourse B. To ensure the safety of the traveling public, the checkpoint was temporarily closed and a perimeter was established. The item was cleared and normal screening operations resumed by 12:30 p.m. EST. There was no impact to flight operations and no delays incurred.

No flights were delayed. So what if we didn't let any of the passengers get to those flights, or tell the airlines what was going on so they could hold the flights, it's important that we did not delay any flights. For some reason though the load on those flights was quite light.

Really a terrorist bag of candy?
Idiots! The whole lot! They can't do anything right.

1. If it was a real explosive, and a threat, a 20-30 ft. "perimeter" doesn't mean jack.
2. An ipod and candy! That's what they consider suspicious? They're so busy looking for anything that isn't a bomb that a real one, not camouflaged, will slide right by them.
3. No delayed flights, because the flights left without their passengers!

I'd liken them to the Three Stooges, but Larry, Moe and Curly would happen in to things and fix them by dumb luck. I have no confidence that the TSA could do that much.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
You would think that after over a century of flight they might just have procedures in place for this eventuality...
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I put the blame on the passengers too, one of them should have run to the counter and said hey, can you call the gate and see if they can hold the planes, the TSA is not letting anybody through security because of the terrorist candy.

And of course the airline should have realized something was wrong when so many people checked in (and possible checked bags) and did not show up at the gate, somebody should have guessed there was a hold up someplace.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
These "news" get amusing with a new twist each & every time with something different, as in "no kidding."

The next headline to pop could be - "holiday traveler's carry-on items triggered another false alarm as it turned out to be a small box of Ferrero Rocher, hazelnut chocolates with creamy fillings" wrapped in gold tin foils, apparently not "TSA certified as clear to fly .... " as being suspicious, LOL.

As for AA Gate Agent(s), don't they usually "page" the passengers via overhead PA's inside the terminal and near the boarding gate area - since they usually do a final headcount and sometimes re-seat some of the pax to better balance the plane's load. But had they done that & decided to hold the plane at the gate for a few extra minutes - it would ruin their on-time departure statistics ....

Meanwhile, the real would-be bad guys are singing & dancing in joy, realizing the terrorism impact of our security theater.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Dec 28, 2011 at 10:58 pm Reason: US verison of Ferrero Rocher !
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
The next headline to pop could be - "holiday traveler's carry-on items triggered another false alarm as it turned out to be a small box of Ferrero Rocher, hazelnut chocolates with creamy fillings" wrapped in gold tin foils, apparently not "TSA certified as clear to fly .... " as being suspicious, LOL.
Ferrero however IS dangerous. In the US they don't sell the real version of Mon Chéri with alcohol - you get the substandard one with hazelnut paste. (Same with the Ferrero product Nutella - the US gets the substandard version)

I carried four boxes of the real stuff around with me for about a month last year, to various parts of the world. The last trip was from the US. Every single box was opened in my luggage, and one chocolate removed from each box.

Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:40 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by cordelli
I put the blame on the passengers too, one of them should have run to the counter and said hey, can you call the gate and see if they can hold the planes,
Running away from the scene of a bomb treat, away from the area where the TSA told you to wait? That's a terrible idea. The TSA did not tell people that they were being held next to a bomb, so running away from the area would be a clear indication that you know about the threat and should be held for questioning.

The sad thing is I don't even know if this calls for a ... so it's really a and .

Heck, I can even see how a paranoid TSA employee would consider a passenger pulling out a cell phone a threat (might be trying to remote-detonate the device). So no, without more info, I would not put blame on the passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.